Blue Cross Bowl Bids

chs1984

I know this is gonna get hammered, but in the early 80's it was hosted by one of the teams playing in it. All three games (only 3 classifications then) were played at the same time as every Friday had been for the previous 14 weeks.  The routine for the teams did not change.   How Awesome would that be and how good of an economic boost for a small rural town to have a few thousand people come in and spend a little money? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ChineseFlu said:

I know this is gonna get hammered, but in the early 80's it was hosted by one of the teams playing in it. All three games (only 3 classifications then) were played at the same time as every Friday had been for the previous 14 weeks.  The routine for the teams did not change.   How Awesome would that be and how good of an economic boost for a small rural town to have a few thousand people come in and spend a little money? 

I want Chattanooga to get it but I can live with one team hosting the game. It is probably not " fair " but if medium to big size cities don't want the State game, this would solve the problem.

If I am not mistaken, Oak Ridge played away for the Gold Ball in 1979 and hosted for the Championship in 1980. OR won away and at home so a road team can win playing at the other team's field.

Please, don't blast me for my opinion. I am a delicate blooming flower with thin skin. Oh, what the hay...blast my big rear end. 

10 hours ago, ChineseFlu said:

I never knew this. Marion Co played in it's first title game in '82 and it was at Vandy. The TSSAA would probably make more money by letting teams host from the looks of some of the past few years at Cookeville. 

Chattanooga is a terrible idea. Logistically it’s a travel nightmare for West TN teams. And god forbid there be any inclement weather on championship weekend, which has already happened to us (twice!) 

Cookeville has been a decent compromise for a long time now but it really needs to be somewhere in Middle TN. Nissan Stadium would be the best option, but idk if they’re even in the discussion. 

10 minutes ago, MSURacer said:

Chattanooga is a terrible idea. Logistically it’s a travel nightmare for West TN teams. And god forbid there be any inclement weather on championship weekend, which has already happened to us (twice!) 

Cookeville has been a decent compromise for a long time now but it really needs to be somewhere in Middle TN. Nissan Stadium would be the best option, but idk if they’re even in the discussion. 

To be honest isn’t Paris a travel nightmare to get anywhere....Lol!  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, PurplePower68 said:

I never knew this. Marion Co played in it's first title game in '82 and it was at Vandy. The TSSAA would probably make more money by letting teams host from the looks of some of the past few years at Cookeville. 

82 was the first year it was held at a neutral field

• Upvote 1

Some of these high school "stadiums" aren't very big and would have a hard time handling  a really big crowd. I know they used to do it,  but things have changed. Someone threw out 8000 fans at a championship game, how many 1 or 2 A schools could handle that many fans? 

As long as Cookeville wants it let them have it!

3 hours ago, bounder said:

Some of these high school "stadiums" aren't very big and would have a hard time handling  a really big crowd. I know they used to do it,  but things have changed. Someone threw out 8000 fans at a championship game, how many 1 or 2 A schools could handle that many fans? 

As long as Cookeville wants it let them have it!

Arguably one of the best championship games ever was the 1980 Knox Rule/Brentwood Academy game at Knoxville Rule.  BA won 21-20.  Rule went for two to win it and didn't make it.  The atmosphere at that game was electric.  

7 hours ago, ChineseFlu said:

82 was the first year it was held at a neutral field

In 1975 and 76 they experimented by holding them at MTSU. They must not have liked it because they went back to on campus the next year. Until about 10 year’s ago Georgia held theirs on campus. Terrible idea, IMO. Nobody should have to be a visiting team in a state football final. 

On 3/4/2021 at 12:43 AM, MidTennFootball said:

You can't alternate when cities dont want it. It's good for Cookeville but it's not worth it to any of the major cities considering none of the games will draw 10k. Chattanooga putting in a bid suprises me, but after being shut out from all the major championships, I'm sure they're desperate to get back in

Several committee members said, off the record, that they would’ve selected Chattanooga over Cookeville last time, but Chattanooga couldn’t solve the locker room problem. You have to have 4 working locker rooms at a time, holding at least 80 players, and petitions are not an option. Chattanooga couldn’t pull it off. Not sure what has changed with their current bid.