Who is top 5 coaches in girls basketball in all classes

Bob38

4 minutes ago, Intense said:

881 wins does stack up.  That’s over 20 wins per season.  Lots of coaches would love to have that record.  You have to have a special team to win it all.  I know that because we had a special team last year at TCA and we won it all.  May not ever happen again.  

Some just don't understand Intense... great coaches have a multitude of areas that they do very well... they develop young talent, instill confidence, scheme and prep for games, dictate in game adjustments, ect, ect... right down to minute details. What they can't do is materialize gold balls from thin air. To win a state title means that you've beaten from (at least) two to perhaps 8/9 teams with a legitimate shot at winning a one game situation against your team. Lots of great coaches have hardware, but lots of them don't have a gold ball in their case because only one is awarded per season, per division, and sometimes it's a phenomenal job of using what is available just to be in the conversation.

1 minute ago, tradertwo said:

Some just don't understand Intense... great coaches have a multitude of areas that they do very well... they develop young talent, instill confidence, scheme and prep for games, dictate in game adjustments, ect, ect... right down to minute details. What they can't do is materialize gold balls from thin air. To win a state title means that you've beaten from (at least) two to perhaps 8/9 teams with a legitimate shot at winning a one game situation against your team. Lots of great coaches have hardware, but lots of them don't have a gold ball in their case because only one is awarded per season, per division, and sometimes it's a phenomenal job of using what is available just to be in the conversation.

Amen Trader!  Good to hear from you!  I concur with everything you said.  Lots of great NCAA coaches who do not have rings!

56 minutes ago, Intense said:

I don’t think he’s ever had that special team with all the key components.  He’s had good post play but not great guards.  He’s had great guards and not very good post play.  He’s had great defensive teams that weren’t great offensive teams and vice versa.  Winning a state championship is rare.  Not many coaches have a ring.  800 wins is elite no matter if you win a state championship or not.  Did you graduate from MCHS in ‘83?

No and I’ll have to agree to disagree 

2 hours ago, Intense said:

I don’t think he’s ever had that special team with all the key components.  He’s had good post play but not great guards.  He’s had great guards and not very good post play.  He’s had great defensive teams that weren’t great offensive teams and vice versa.  Winning a state championship is rare.  Not many coaches have a ring.  800 wins is elite no matter if you win a state championship or not.  Did you graduate from MCHS in ‘83?

My mom will be 59 in April and he was coaching when she played. I would hope he had 800 wins over that span of time. I would hope he would have a lot of wins for as long as he's been doing it. What about the last 6-8 years, he's had some decent teams, good enough to compete.

1 hour ago, BallIsLife1 said:

My mom will be 59 in April and he was coaching when she played. I would hope he had 800 wins over that span of time. I would hope he would have a lot of wins for as long as he's been doing it. What about the last 6-8 years, he's had some decent teams, good enough to compete.

Winning 20 games year after year may be harder than winning a state championship.  That’s a major accomplishment!  Some years the talent won’t be there and that makes it more difficult to average 20. 

3 hours ago, Intense said:

Winning 20 games year after year may be harder than winning a state championship.  That’s a major accomplishment!  Some years the talent won’t be there and that makes it more difficult to average 20. 

We may soon see just how good (or not) that he is... it's sometimes easy to see what little details could be done to be better, but we fail to account for everything done to be as good as they are. When someone new inherits the job, it's just as likely that it gets much harder to average 20 or so than it will be to get "over the hump" to 30. We'll just have to see how well this ages... cheese and wine get better with time, but most things just decompose.

3 minutes ago, Bob38 said:

Coaching is tuff there is a lot of coaches that chase wins not titles. 

Basketball is won playing aggressive for 4 quarters, paying attention to detail with the fundamentals of the game, holding players accountable and disciplining them, conditioning your players and making them stronger and quicker, having good scouting reports and having good game plans with diversity and having a great feeder program. Hit them in the mouth for four quarters.

10 minutes ago, Bobcats83 said:

You are correct and if you look at some of their schedules they pad them as much as possible 

Sounds like some sour grapes to me!  I played at MCHS from 80-84 on the boys team and saw first hand how good a coach Jerry was.  His record stands for itself and it makes no sense to dispute it.  He doesn’t have a state championship but most don’t.  As Trader said, once he retires we will see how easy it is for the next coach to average 20. 

5 minutes ago, Intense said:

Sounds like some sour grapes to me!  I played at MCHS from 80-84 on the boys team and saw first hand how good a coach Jerry was.  His record stands for itself and it makes no sense to dispute it.  He doesn’t have a state championship but most don’t.  As Trader said, once he retires we will see how easy it is for the next coach to average 20. 

He’s close to averaging 20 but not there

Just my opinion.  I’ve seen him coach too, can’t win the big games, doesn’t make necessary adjustments.  Plays his style no matter what