Who is top 5 coaches in girls basketball in all classes

Bob38

I think Randy Coffman should be included amongst all these great Coaches. He spent 17 years at Dyersburg High School(357-159 record). Then went on to help build Riverdale (Murfreesboro) into a monster of a team winning 3 back to back Class AAA State titles(102-5 record in his 3 years there). 2 of those years Ranked #1and #2 in the country by USA today which also garnered him the Naismith National Coach of the Year Award. He’s Currently in his 3rd year at Lakeway Christian Academy. Last year he won the NACA Division IV National Championship. Coach Coffman is one of the best. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MrOct81 said:

I think Randy Coffman should be included amongst all these great Coaches. He spent 17 years at Dyersburg High School(357-159 record). Then went on to help build Riverdale (Murfreesboro) into a monster of a team winning 3 back to back Class AAA State titles(102-5 record in his 3 years there). 2 of those years Ranked #1and #2 in the country by USA today which also garnered him the Naismith National Coach of the Year Award. He’s Currently in his 3rd year at Lakeway Christian Academy. Last year he won the NACA Division IV National Championship. Coach Coffman is one of the best. 

Coffman may be good but gomer pile could coached the talent at riverdale when he was there. I've personally watched his Dyersburg teams they always played hard. I think good coaches can win with talented players. Great coaches can make a rusty nail shine. 

On 2/21/2021 at 12:57 PM, pioneer42 said:

You know your a good coach when you lose 7-8 quality players in consecutive years and still be in the upper eschalon of the state. 

That is the truth. Great coaches get kids to play above there abilities at high levels year in year out.

53 minutes ago, Bob38 said:

Coffman may be good but gomer pile could coached the talent at riverdale when he was there. I've personally watched his Dyersburg teams they always played hard. I think good coaches can win with talented players. Great coaches can make a rusty nail shine. 

Well, if you use this logic then Wilkins isn't a great coach but just a good coach.  Gibson County was a powerhouse with David Russell and Kevin McMillan.  Looks like Wilkins has just carried on the tradition of coaching up good talent.  No knock on him because he is a good coach.  

On 2/20/2021 at 10:35 PM, pioneer42 said:

Really?? David Russell quit HS coaching in 2010 and is assistant at UTM. He won 6 Gold Balls at Bradford, 2 at Gibson County 1 as Head Coach and the other as assistant in back to back years. I wouldn’t swap Wilkins for him right now and he is in the conversation with Rogers. I wouldn’t swap Wilkins for Rogers now and Rogers is a legend. Wilkins coached boys in Missouri for years, then Henry County for a couple of years and then Gibson County. I wished Gibson County had had him in the 80’s, 90’s and early 2000’s. He took over Gibson County in 2013 when they split the school into two schools and has done what he has done. He won a Silver Ball in 2016, was 1 possession away from knocking off State Champion Greenfield in 2018, Gold Ball in 2019, was last four standing in 2020 when Covid Police hit, has taken a bunch of freshman, sophomores and juniors to a 1 loss season this year and a number 1  AP ranking with no seniors. Wilkins respects Rogers as I do, but 1 thing he ain’t doing he ain’t dreaming to be as good as Lamar. 

Reason I say this is Wilkins has brought a ton of energy to Gibson County and I wouldn’t trade the energy they have. Definitely no disrespect to Russell. He done a great job at Bradford and GC.

2 minutes ago, Rebelman51 said:

Well, if you use this logic then Wilkins isn't a great coach but just a good coach.  Gibson County was a powerhouse with David Russell and Kevin McMillan.  Looks like Wilkins has just carried on the tradition of coaching up good talent.  No knock on him because he is a good coach.  

I agree with you but GC had just lost a ton of enrollment when Wilkins got there and divided the school districts into two schools. He has rebuilt them back when they were down a bit. David Russell still goes to GC and coaches them some in the off season. He is a legend. Just saying it would be hard to trade coaches now the way GC’s program is.

Buck at stone memorial has to be considered as a top coach. He coached teams to the boys state and he should have 2 girls teams making state. He’s had a Mr basketball finalist and a ms basketball finalist. He’s won a boys state at Pickett as a head coach and a championship as an assistant at white (for boys). Last years stone team was definitely a contender (final 4 before everything got shut down) and this years team is definitely formidable. He’s won at every level of hs play. 

On 2/23/2021 at 4:41 PM, MrOct81 said:

Riverdale was built when he arrived. He inherited great players, community and program. But I agree he is a good coach.

On 2/20/2021 at 9:23 PM, Bobcats83 said:

Agreed.  Haven’t been to state tournament since 1993.  They’ve had several opportunities. Been in region finals several times- won a couple , substate games home and away and lost every time   He can’t make necessary adjustments, can’t relate to his players anymore.  No state appearances in 28 years with lots of talent   He has had teams to get it done Mr Intense but couldn’t get it done 

Like I said he doesn’t belong in the conversation with the people on that list. They have all won multiple titles 

I don’t know any of you guys and I’m not real familiar with Lott but can as an outside  observer , can anyone name another coach that’s at the same place and not been to the boro in 28 years?

Wilkins goes undefeated in the District, loses 1 ball game to a top five team in the state, has had his team ranked number 1 in the AP poll the last 6 weeks, lost 6 players in the 8 man rotation last year, lost 7 players in 2019, has not a senior on this team and has two freshman and a sophomore in his top 6 or 7 this year and has beat Peabody all three times by double digits and was not the coach of the year in the District. Peabody coach has had a good year returning every player from last years team but really??? Did the Peabody Booster Club vote this award??? Unbelievable a coach with these accomplishments doesn’t win this award. But is the world we are living in.

15 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

Wilkins goes undefeated in the District, loses 1 ball game to a top five team in the state, has had his team ranked number 1 in the AP poll the last 6 weeks, lost 6 players in the 8 man rotation last year, lost 7 players in 2019, has not a senior on this team and has two freshman and a sophomore in his top 6 or 7 this year and has beat Peabody all three times by double digits and was not the coach of the year in the District. Peabody coach has had a good year returning every player from last years team but really??? Did the Peabody Booster Club vote this award??? Unbelievable a coach with these accomplishments doesn’t win this award. But is the world we are living in.

Haskins sleep walks through 13-AA every year with his teams and never gets voted coach of the year... everyone hates a winner, especially when they can never beat them...

and while I'm here, I'll throw out my 2 cents for what it's worth...

Brian Haskins, all of the Wilkins can coach, Sean Stephenson, Michael Hart, Brent McNeal, Derek McCord, Cory Barrett, Jason Reuter, Lamar Rogers, the guy at Westmoreland, Randy Coffman, Ashley Rutledge, Catie Embry.... there are several others out there, but these are a few I thought of without putting much thought into it.

Edited by GCPioneer

10 minutes ago, GCPioneer said:

Haskins sleep walks through 13-AA every year with his teams and never gets voted coach of the year... everyone hates a winner, especially when they can never beat them...

I can believe that. Wilkins is bringing unbelievable energy to the GC program right now. His kids are out working others. Proud of the Lady Pioneers and proud of their season as they have over exceeded in my eyes. I feel like next year if they stay healthy will be even better with these young players in his system another year.