Who is top 5 coaches in girls basketball in all classes

Bob38

9 hours ago, GCPioneer said:

Brian Haskins, all of the Wilkins can coach, Sean Stephenson, Michael Hart, Brent McNeal, Cory Barrett, Jason Reuter, Lamar Rogers, the guy at Westmoreland, Randy Coffman, Ashley Rutledge, Catie Embry.... there are several others out there, but these are a few I thought of without putting much thought into it.

Great list, and just because a lot of past coaches have gotten some publicity here too... Frazier at Gleason, Byrd at Wayne County, and Chandler at Scotts Hill should be mentioned. When a "down" year is a good year, and a good year is a great season for decades, you know that it's not magic in the jersey or in the water, it's on the end of the bench. I also think that the team of Joel and Ashley in Dyersburg could be earning their way onto the list with time.

11 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

Wilkins goes undefeated in the District, loses 1 ball game to a top five team in the state, has had his team ranked number 1 in the AP poll the last 6 weeks, lost 6 players in the 8 man rotation last year, lost 7 players in 2019, has not a senior on this team and has two freshman and a sophomore in his top 6 or 7 this year and has beat Peabody all three times by double digits and was not the coach of the year in the District. Peabody coach has had a good year returning every player from last years team but really??? Did the Peabody Booster Club vote this award??? Unbelievable a coach with these accomplishments doesn’t win this award. But is the world we are living in.

You see this in all districts. I saw someone mentions Haskins, as well. Other coaches aren't going to give it to the same person every year. They try to spread the love, or pick teams they feel like have overachieved. Coach of the year rarely goes to who is actually the best coach. Most great coaches don't care anything about the award, anyway.

1 hour ago, SportsWestTN said:

You see this in all districts. I saw someone mentions Haskins, as well. Other coaches aren't going to give it to the same person every year. They try to spread the love, or pick teams they feel like have overachieved. Coach of the year rarely goes to who is actually the best coach. Most great coaches don't care anything about the award, anyway.

No doubt I agree. Just like the Miss Basketball Award, IMO usually goes to the player that was nominated the year before and didn’t win it a lot of times. Gold Ball is the goal for our girls and coaches. Just thought it was kinda comical actually that his best coaching job actually  got overlooked.

19 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

Wilkins goes undefeated in the District, loses 1 ball game to a top five team in the state, has had his team ranked number 1 in the AP poll the last 6 weeks, lost 6 players in the 8 man rotation last year, lost 7 players in 2019, has not a senior on this team and has two freshman and a sophomore in his top 6 or 7 this year and has beat Peabody all three times by double digits and was not the coach of the year in the District. Peabody coach has had a good year returning every player from last years team but really??? Did the Peabody Booster Club vote this award??? Unbelievable a coach with these accomplishments doesn’t win this award. But is the world we are living in.

This is a comical post! Congratulations to Coach Hart on winning Coach of the year! One of the best coaches around! Great respect from his fellow coaches! Amazing coaching job this year to help lead the team to a 24-6 record, state ranked, beat some of the best teams around, battle for a district championship again as well as going to be in the hunt for a region championship! Has made numerous adjustments throughout the year as well with the number of injuries this team has had this year with CeCe missing several games and not to mention an All-district and perhaps Peabody’s best player the starting pg going down early in the season to a season ending ACL injury. I could keep going on and on about numerous things from Coach Hart from changing the program around from a losing program for numerous years from mid 2000’s to where it is now to how 2 freshmen get big minutes including one being a starter and another player that’s never played before being first off the bench. Coach Hart does more with the players he gets than any other coach around! I’d put money on that. That’s the definition of a great coach! Again congrats Coach Hart! 

This topic is apparently only about coaches who are active today but any discussion about great coaches would have to include Larry Looper from Overton co. 

Larry coached for many years at Rickman High school In the same district as Rodgers until the consolidation with Livingston Academy. He finished his career at L.A. His winning percentage in one of the best girls BB areas in the state speaks for itself!

1 hour ago, BABABA said:

This is a comical post! Congratulations to Coach Hart on winning Coach of the year! One of the best coaches around! Great respect from his fellow coaches! Amazing coaching job this year to help lead the team to a 24-6 record, state ranked, beat some of the best teams around, battle for a district championship again as well as going to be in the hunt for a region championship! Has made numerous adjustments throughout the year as well with the number of injuries this team has had this year with CeCe missing several games and not to mention an All-district and perhaps Peabody’s best player the starting pg going down early in the season to a season ending ACL injury. I could keep going on and on about numerous things from Coach Hart from changing the program around from a losing program for numerous years from mid 2000’s to where it is now to how 2 freshmen get big minutes including one being a starter and another player that’s never played before being first off the bench. Coach Hart does more with the players he gets than any other coach around! I’d put money on that. That’s the definition of a great coach! Again congrats Coach Hart! 

Agree.  Hart is a great coach.  And has his teams ready.  But I disagree with him winning the award.  Wilkins has the #1 ranked team in the state returning one starter and only 2 that played at all last year.  And beat Hart by 15-20 every time they played.  Saying that Wilkins was hands down the best coach in the district  does not at all take away from Hart.  Same goes with Haskins.   Agree with whoever it was that said coaches don’t like getting beat over and over and over by the same coach.   That’s the only excuse for them not winning the award.   Jealousy is ugly.   

8 minutes ago, GlassHouseBound said:

Agree.  Hart is a great coach.  And has his teams ready.  But I disagree with him winning the award.  Wilkins has the #1 ranked team in the state returning one starter and only 2 that played at all last year.  And beat Hart by 15-20 every time they played.  Saying that Wilkins was hands down the best coach in the district  does not at all take away from Hart.  Same goes with Haskins.   Agree with whoever it was that said coaches don’t like getting beat over and over and over by the same coach.   That’s the only excuse for them not winning the award.   Jealousy is ugly.   

If that jealousy theory holds true then neither should of won the award cause Peabody has beat the same teams GC has over and over again also lol. Best coach isn’t always the team with the most talent. Not saying Wilkins isn’t a great coach just saying sometimes best coaching job is done by coaches with less talent. GC has 3 kids that’s been doing the same thing since 5th grade, Peabody doesn’t. Just my opinion. 

On 2/20/2021 at 6:47 PM, Bobcats83 said:

He’s close to averaging 20 but not there

Just my opinion.  I’ve seen him coach too, can’t win the big games, doesn’t make necessary adjustments.  Plays his style no matter what 

I can agree with that. He’s the Rick Barnes of high school girls in Tennessee. Rick is sitting at 700+ wins in college basketball, but only one NCAA final four to show for, which was all the way back in 2003. 
You’re frustrated with McNairy Central because you can basically pencil in “20 wins and that’s it” every single year. Lady Bobcats aren’t a threat to anybody anymore.

Edited by TryNotToSuck

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, baldeagle22 said:

Think it’s about time to add NG girls coach James Buchanan to the mix. He took a group of girls who weren’t nearly as talented and beat the #1 team this year. He is also approaching his 400th victory. And has 5 state tournament trips under his belt. 

He had a really good year and IMO will be one of the Gold Ball favorites for 2022 in Class A.  Thought he did a really good job in the State Tournament.