Region 1-AAA Boys tournament

TribalEmpire

The Region 1-AAA boys tournament gets underway Saturday at higher seeds.  Subsequent rounds will also be played at higher seeds this season due to COVID.  If Dobyns-Bennett and Jefferson County make the finals as the two top seeds (or Science Hill and South Doyle as the two 2 seeds, etc.) then the District 1 team will host.

The bracket:

• 4 Morristown East at 1 Dobyns-Bennett
  • 3 Daniel Boone at 2 South Doyle
  • 3 Sevier County at 2 Science Hill
  • 4 Volunteer at 1 Jefferson County

I will go with all the top seeds to win quarterfinals.  Boone finished last in the regular season in District 1 and should be a cupcake for South Doyle.  I am a little worried about D-B.  Morristown East won District 2 in the regular season but only finished fourth in the tournament.  Not sure if they had a couple of bad games or something else.

In the semifinals, I will go with D-B and Science Hill.  

In the finals, I will go with D-B.  The Tribe are on a roll and annihilated Science Hill in the district tournament finals by 30.  This D-B team has the potential to go deep into the season with everyone back from last year's overachieving sectional appearance.  Good luck to all the schools and hope it's a fun and safe tournament.  Let the road to state begin!

1 hour ago, SWVAHavokFan said:

The Region 1-AAA boys tournament gets underway Saturday at higher seeds.  Subsequent rounds will also be played at higher seeds this season due to COVID.  If Dobyns-Bennett and Jefferson County make the finals as the two top seeds (or Science Hill and South Doyle as the two 2 seeds, etc.) then the District 1 team will host.

The bracket:

I will go with all the top seeds to win quarterfinals.  Boone finished last in the regular season in District 1 and should be a cupcake for South Doyle.  I am a little worried about D-B.  Morristown East won District 2 in the regular season but only finished fourth in the tournament.  Not sure if they had a couple of bad games or something else.

In the finals, I will go with D-B.  The Tribe are on a roll and annihilated Science Hill in the district tournament finals by 30.  This D-B team has the potential to go deep into the season with everyone back from last year's overachieving sectional appearance.  Good luck to all the schools and hope it's a fun and safe tournament.  Let the road to state begin!

I'm going with DB South Doyle Science Hill Jeff County. DB over Hillcrappers.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SWVAHavokFan said:

The bracket:

Morristown East was without their All-State PG during the tournament or they would be a #1 or #2 seed. He will be back and fresh for region which makes them a dangerous team.  SC and East were both upset in semifinals.  Sevier County picked a bad night to be off on a night Jeff was hot shooting.  Jeff County is playing their best basketball of the year.  South Doyle is very athletic and can be dangerous if they play as a team.  The top 4 in district 2 as a group are better than the top 4 in district 1 as a group.  The DB-ME and SC-SH matchups were expected but not til the semifinals.  I think all games will be good games. Would not be surprised if district 2 wins 3 of the first round games.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HSsportsfan1 said:

Morristown East was without their All-State PG during the tournament or they would be a #1 or #2 seed. He will be back and fresh for region which makes them a dangerous team.  SC and East were both upset in semifinals.  Sevier County picked a bad night to be off on a night Jeff was hot shooting.  Jeff County is playing their best basketball of the year.  South Doyle is very athletic and can be dangerous if they play as a team.  The top 4 in district 2 as a group are better than the top 4 in district 1 as a group.  The DB-ME and SC-SH matchups were expected but not til the semifinals.  I think all games will be good games. Would not be surprised if district 2 wins 3 of the first round games.

Thanks for the info. You have me worried about East now. I still believe D-B in the Dome (if they let fans in anyway) should have the advantage. If they're still not letting fans in this weekend, then East may pull the upset. 

Got my tickets for Saturday in the Dome.  Hoping Jeff County is selling tickets at the gate for Friday night's game as well so I can go down and watch the girls.  Either way, this weekend will be my first in person high school sporting event since the Thanksgiving tournament at Sullivan East, so to say I am just a little bit excited is an understatement.  :)

14 hours ago, StateChampion87 said:

Not really sure I’d call Jeff win an upset. They had beaten SC in regular season and have beaten DB. 

By upset, I was only meaning by seeds.   My point was that all the district 2 teams are capable of winning all 4 games.  However, it tourney time so they also could lose all 4.  Should be a good night of basketball.

On 2/23/2021 at 4:29 PM, SWVAHavokFan said:

Thanks for the info. You have me worried about East now. I still believe D-B in the Dome (if they let fans in anyway) should have the advantage. If they're still not letting fans in this weekend, then East may pull the upset. 

Not much reason to worry about that one. The MO-East Guard #2 and Post #23 - are good enough for sure... but not much scoring options other than that. That is why DB destroyed SH in the District Finals.... figured them out as a 2 man team...ONLY 2. SH did let the freshman guard shoot a couple, but that was it! Toppers had players wide open and they wouldn't take a shot. 2 players prob took 80% of their shots.

DB has 7 players that could lead the team in scoring each and every game. I haven't seen South Doyle this season. I did last see them in last seasons Region tournament. SD looked very athletic, but they did not play much as a team, more as individuals trying to get their points. Indians are playing better each game, its a fun team to watch and a good team for sure.

DB VS Jefferson County - this will be a good game. Both teams have improved game by game, and are playing their best right now.

How did the Patriots have that many losses during the season? They have some really good players.

Last season at the Dome, DB hit a 3 with 2 sec to go to win it in the Douglas HS tribute game. those baby blue and gold uniforms look sharp. Coach Poore vs his 1st Team.

I pick the Indians with the Dome/home court advantage 65-62. Gotta win to host Sectional. Gotta host a sectional to make it to State Tourny  

6 hours ago, LINEDAD said:

DB VS Jefferson County - this will be a good game. Both teams have improved game by game, and are playing their best right now.

How did the Patriots have that many losses during the season? They have some really good players.

Last season at the Dome, DB hit a 3 with 2 sec to go to win it in the Douglas HS tribute game. those baby blue and gold uniforms look sharp. Coach Poore vs his 1st Team.

I pick the Indians with the Dome/home court advantage 65-62. Gotta win to host Sectional. Gotta host a sectional to make it to State Tourny  

Knock knock.

Who's there?

Better duck and cover because the Atomic City is about to go BOOM on your rear ends,