Never too early, Coaching Vacancies

TennesseeValley

13 hours ago, WestTNroundball said:

See I disagree. I don’t think Dancy is a very good coach in my opinion. Let’s call a duck a duck here. He went to the state tournament at Haywood with athletes. He went to Milan where he had some good athletes and had the potential to win games and he didn’t. Instead he blew up on the kids, would call 4 timeouts in the first quarter and go nuts. He didn’t believe in freshman games or a big jv schedule. How do you get better in that atmosphere? You don’t!

Dancy is a showman IMO. And I agree he won with talent and did nothing with mediocre players. The window for him coaching this season is closing fast. Ripley is open and Mitchell.

1 hour ago, tradertwo said:

Some would, but some wouldn't. There were some rumblings from some parents that wanted him out anyway. I can't comment on Dancy's coaching ability, but I can on Coach Shutes...he's not the absolute best that I've seen, but they'll be hard pressed to find a better one to replace him, the man was (is) a good coach.

For whatever reason I do feel for both parties it was probably time for fresh starts. We played them the last two years and beat them and their parents would say your team is more fundamental and more mentally tough than ours. The parents glass was half empty the last few years and this comes from parents that have basketball knowledge so their was no confidence they could win a Gold Ball. I do think they have to get tougher and griddier and their teams didn’t have enough of that the last couple of years. I do think Northpoint Christian was their Achilles Heal a few years. I do think they need a hard nose coach to get after them and pay major attention to detail and they can do well. I have heard that Webb School in Middle TN, the team that won it last year is loading the wagon and we know Lakeway Christian is tough as well so whoever the coach is will have a tougher challenge, IMO. I do think they have to watch who they hire and hire someone who is qualified and not hire someone because they are friends with so and so.

3 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

For whatever reason I do feel for both parties it was probably time for fresh starts. We played them the last two years and beat them and their parents would say your team is more fundamental and more mentally tough than ours. The parents glass was half empty the last few years and this comes from parents that have basketball knowledge so their was no confidence they could win a Gold Ball. I do think they have to get tougher and griddier and their teams didn’t have enough of that the last couple of years. I do think Northpoint Christian was their Achilles Heal a few years. I do think they need a hard nose coach to get after them and pay major attention to detail and they can do well. I have heard that Webb School in Middle TN, the team that won it last year is loading the wagon and we know Lakeway Christian is tough as well so whoever the coach is will have a tougher challenge, IMO. I do think they have to watch who they hire and hire someone who is qualified and not hire someone because they are friends with so and so.

I agree with everything, but will throw out a hypothetical question...who would you hire if it were your decision? I'm glad that Shutes made the decision to leave on his own with no messy situation either way (it was coming), so that both he and those wanting a change get what they want in the beginning. It's my opinion that fans take for granted the positive, and only see the negative things coaches do...there's a very good chance that the program takes a backward step for the first time in around 30 years.

• Like 1

Quick question on Dancy?  From what I'm reading on here, the only reason he was able to win is because he had talent.....Isn't that how every coach wins?  Name me a championship team/program(In any sport) that won and didn't have talent? Talent is at the core of winning.  Yes you have to have a great coach to manage and maximize that talent.  But every championship, winning program has talent.  And I know there are a lot of great coaches in this state that are great coaches but because they don't have talent at their schools, they can't win.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tradertwo said:

I agree with everything, but will throw out a hypothetical question...who would you hire if it were your decision? I'm glad that Shutes made the decision to leave on his own with no messy situation either way (it was coming), so that both he and those wanting a change get what they want in the beginning. It's my opinion that fans take for granted the positive, and only see the negative things coaches do...there's a very good chance that the program takes a backward step for the first time in around 30 years.

They need a Wilkins type personality. And I am not saying this because I am from Gibson County. They need a coach who has a lot of energy to bring to a program, someone who loves the game and is not worried about when they are getting off, a 24/7 365 type of coach that is eat up with detail and fundamentals and holding players accountable when they make mistakes, playing fast and has a big time strength and conditioning program. I will say this. I have two coaches picked out right now for Gibson County if Wilkins retires and I am keeping confidential but there are some good coaches out there. I could weed out some quick in interviews because I know the personality I am looking for. USJ has been big in the AAU sector for a while. They have some good basketball minds over there if the administration will listen. 

Edited by pioneer42
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, WestTennRaider said:

Quick question on Dancy?  From what I'm reading on here, the only reason he was able to win is because he had talent.....Isn't that how every coach wins?  Name me a championship team/program(In any sport) that won and didn't have talent? Talent is at the core of winning.  Yes you have to have a great coach to manage and maximize that talent.  But every championship, winning program has talent.  And I know there are a lot of great coaches in this state that are great coaches but because they don't have talent at their schools, they can't win.

This is exactly right! You can be a great coach and not have players and get beat and be an average coach and have great talent and win. 

22 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

They need a Wilkins type personality. And I am not saying this because I am from Gibson County. They need a coach who has a lot of energy to bring to a program, someone who loves the game and is not worried about when they are getting off, a 24/7 365 type of coach that is eat up with detail and fundamentals and holding players accountable when they make mistakes, playing fast and has a big time strength and conditioning program. I will say this. I have two coaches picked out right now for Gibson County if Wilkins retires and I am keeping confidential but there are some good coaches out there. I could weed out some quick in interviews because I know the personality I am looking for. USJ has been big in the AAU sector for a while. They have some good basketball minds over there if the administration will listen. 

Not many coaches out there that are 24/7 365 type coaches.  You definitely have to have parents that are completely bought in to that way of thinking.  It’s extremely challenging when you are at a smaller school, you are spread thin on athletes and most parents aren’t going to buy into that mentality when kids play multiple sports in my opinion.  

15 minutes ago, 1983 said:

Not many coaches out there that are 24/7 365 type coaches.  You definitely have to have parents that are completely bought in to that way of thinking.  It’s extremely challenging when you are at a smaller school, you are spread thin on athletes and most parents aren’t going to buy into that mentality when kids play multiple sports in my opinion.  

All of the Wilkins family are like that and have done well. There are hungrier younger coaches who fit the criteria. I agree that a lot of the parents aren’t into it to win it all. Gibson County, Greenfield and TCA girls all won state titles and every team had girls that lived in the gym doing lessons on their own and getting better. 

Edited by pioneer42

I never thought Rudesil would leave Bolivar to coach at another. I figured he would retire soon and Crisp would take over. But, I was told by a mutual friend that Crisp wasn't ready to take over, as if Crisp felt that way himself.  Not really sure exactly what he meant, but with that being said....at this moment, I fully expect Crisp to get the job. I assume the job has been offered to him and he is contemplating. I will tell you that there's a lot of people in Bolivar that will be very disappointed if Crisp isn't the head coach next year. Keep in mind that Bolivar has a good bit of talent returning next year with some young kids that can play. It would be very interesting to see Crisp take over with these kids.

15 hours ago, tonym3143 said:

I never thought Rudesil would leave Bolivar to coach at another. I figured he would retire soon and Crisp would take over. But, I was told by a mutual friend that Crisp wasn't ready to take over, as if Crisp felt that way himself.  Not really sure exactly what he meant, but with that being said....at this moment, I fully expect Crisp to get the job. I assume the job has been offered to him and he is contemplating. I will tell you that there's a lot of people in Bolivar that will be very disappointed if Crisp isn't the head coach next year. Keep in mind that Bolivar has a good bit of talent returning next year with some young kids that can play. It would be very interesting to see Crisp take over with these kids.

you would think a state tournament team is going to bring back some good players for sure. They should be good, Especially in the lower classification they will be playing in next season.