Never too early, Coaching Vacancies

TennesseeValley

8 minutes ago, Rebelman51 said:

Just go get David Wilkins and all kinds of kids will transfer in.

Just saying South Gibson has kids come in all the time there from all over. Believe a big time coach would easily sway good players there way. They have a big time real estate market in Medina and folks are looking for a reason to move there. 

On 5/6/2021 at 7:31 AM, WhereYouAt said:

Are These jobs gonna be open at the end of the school? If schools don’t decide soon they will make it very difficult for a the next coach. They have already missed the entire spring off season and summer starts in less than 3 weeks. 

Rather have a team miss a summer season and hire the right coach, than not miss a summer season and hire the wrong coach. Schools should take their tIme.

2 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

Rather have a team miss a summer season and hire the right coach, than not miss a summer season and hire the wrong coach. Schools should take their tIme.

Both viewpoints are legit. Timing of the hire is important, but making the right choice is more IMO. Sometimes it just takes time to evaluate and communicate with applicants, but being aggressive in selecting and pursuing your future coach in the beginning can shorten the process most times. If you already have a good idea of what (who) you want, find out if there's mutual interest and go after them hard if there is...if not, you've saved valuable time while trimming the list.

On 5/7/2021 at 10:50 AM, GCPioneer said:

I checked my history and I stand corrected.

It appears to me that everyone is looking at the South Gibson job for what it is right now. I’m looking at the job knowing the capability of Embry as a coach and what she can do with that program. If she does wind up going there, South Gibson will be really good once she gets her program and system established. That will take a few years.

I agree if Embry is hired she can change the culture and get them really going in the right direction in a few years. She gets her camps, her spring system, her summer system, fall system for high school and feeder systems and strength and conditioning program in it will soon take effect if their administration leaves her alone and lets her run the basketball program. 

3 hours ago, tradertwo said:

Both viewpoints are legit. Timing of the hire is important, but making the right choice is more IMO. Sometimes it just takes time to evaluate and communicate with applicants, but being aggressive in selecting and pursuing your future coach in the beginning can shorten the process most times. If you already have a good idea of what (who) you want, find out if there's mutual interest and go after them hard if there is...if not, you've saved valuable time while trimming the list.

I would make South Gibson sign my own personal contract before I took their job especially with their principal and AD. Meaning I am going to get a big time booster club set up and have fund raisers and camps and legal money making gigs quite often to get any thing needed to make this program better. Also I put in writing what I am going to do and that is have year round camps, play days and open gyms for feeder programs up to HS. I would demand this and I wouldn’t take a job there without a contract signed. Also I would let them know I don’t care who knows who and who goes to grill outs with who that my way is the highway and the best players will be on the floor, not the most popular. And I am not dealing with parents going to principals because their child is not playing. Let’s be for real. They just lost maybe the best young coach in the state in their boys program. Now would be my time to get some leverage with their administration right off the bat before I signed off to jump in there. 

Edited by pioneer42
  • Like 1

On 5/6/2021 at 8:08 AM, maddams said:

I live in Columbia (about 20 minutes from Summertown). There’s been a lot of talk about Summertown recently. Hearing the new administration down there has been unsupportive of the coaches and several are unhappy. There was talk around here about the boys coach (who is a Summertown alum)  being interested in the Mt Pleasant job. 
I agree with @SportsWestTN that the girls coach leaving would seem strange, but if administration there is as bad as the rumors, that might be the explanation

Girls coach not going anywhere ( why would you ? ) boys coach has had some personal issue but go to MP ???

13 minutes ago, Jaychapman said:

Girls coach not going anywhere ( why would you ? ) boys coach has had some personal issue but go to MP ???

You sure about that?? Start looking at this thread from about the last two pages. South Gibson is a school I would classify as a school that is exploding with students and has been. Used to be all Gibson County High School and they drew the line and made two schools out of it. I would classify them as a sleeping giant and a great real estate market. If their basketball program was ran like Gibson County no telling how good they could be. I would say Katie was gone, but I do feel like the South Gibson administration would fumble the football with a 50 yard lead on their defender. But we shall hear the verdict soon I guess.