Never too early, Coaching Vacancies

TennesseeValley

10 hours ago, YouAlreadyKnow said:

Agree. Will high school ever get to the point to where a coach can negotiate a contract? I sort of feel like that is starting to happen in some districts. But then somebody gets mad because they feel like someone is not being treated equal. Just doesn't make sense to me at all paying everyone the exact same money just because they are the head coach or assistant coach in the same district. Some coaches should be paid more and the Gibson County Coach is one of them. A contract for coaches would also create some stability for programs. Especially those programs that change coaches every other year.  

You seem so focused on making your point, that you're missing the fact that I'm almost agreeing with you. I'll spell it out as clearly as possible... JCM has hired two basketball coaches to contracts that include NO OTHER DUTIES than basketball. The two JCM coaches make more (lots) money than the other coaches in Madison County. JSS has two coaches that teach classroom schedules, and do basketball. JSS has two coaches who have built their programs into perennial state championship contenders. Do you agree that JCM's coaches should be paid more to entice them to join Madison County's system than JSS's coaches have EARNED through their hard work and loyalty, both with their basketball success, and in the classroom???

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tradertwo said:

You seem so focused on making your point, that you're missing the fact that I'm almost agreeing with you. I'll spell it out as clearly as possible... JCM has hired two basketball coaches to contracts that include NO OTHER DUTIES than basketball. The two JCM coaches make more (lots) money than the other coaches in Madison County. JSS has two coaches that teach classroom schedules, and do basketball. JSS has two coaches who have built their programs into perennial state championship contenders. Do you agree that JCM's coaches should be paid more to entice them to join Madison County's system than JSS's coaches have EARNED through their hard work and loyalty, both with their basketball success, and in the classroom???

My post have not been to agree or disagree with you... my post have been about paying coaches what they should be paid instead of what some elected board members or influential people in the community thinks they should be paid. If those coaches you are talking about are doing more work then of course they deserve to be paid more. If they are not then no. However, enticing good coaches to come to your district by paying them more than you pay other coaches in your district is also fine if the coach is going to earn the money. I think high school coaches should be able to negotiate a contract! "NO OTHER DUTIES than basketball" is the move for the future. I applaud this school system you are talking about. Good for them. Too bad for the coaches that are already in the system. They without a doubt should be paid for the hard work they are doing. This idea of teacher first and coach as a collateral duty is nuts. How many math, English, or whatever subject teaches their class in front of every parent of a child in their room, board members that decide to attend, the community, etc...??? Coaches should be paid more if they are doing more! Allowing high school coaches to negotiate a contract would take care of it.

6 hours ago, YouAlreadyKnow said:

My post have not been to agree or disagree with you... my post have been about paying coaches what they should be paid instead of what some elected board members or influential people in the community thinks they should be paid. If those coaches you are talking about are doing more work then of course they deserve to be paid more. If they are not then no. However, enticing good coaches to come to your district by paying them more than you pay other coaches in your district is also fine if the coach is going to earn the money. I think high school coaches should be able to negotiate a contract! "NO OTHER DUTIES than basketball" is the move for the future. I applaud this school system you are talking about. Good for them. Too bad for the coaches that are already in the system. They without a doubt should be paid for the hard work they are doing. This idea of teacher first and coach as a collateral duty is nuts. How many math, English, or whatever subject teaches their class in front of every parent of a child in their room, board members that decide to attend, the community, etc...??? Coaches should be paid more if they are doing more! Allowing high school coaches to negotiate a contract would take care of it.

Guess we'll just agree to disagree peacefully then...while I understand your point, the first objective of any school system should be education. Most all the qualities required to be a top notch coach are one and the same with those that make great educators, and rarely do you find one good at one and not the other. Coaches in our system are afforded the "luxury" of teaching courses without EOC exams, and an extra block of planning period if we're able to accommodate them. Other than those paltry exceptions and their athletic stipend (ours is very good for a small rural school), they are no less expendable than our great educators.

17 hours ago, tradertwo said:

Guess we'll just agree to disagree peacefully then...while I understand your point, the first objective of any school system should be education. Most all the qualities required to be a top notch coach are one and the same with those that make great educators, and rarely do you find one good at one and not the other. Coaches in our system are afforded the "luxury" of teaching courses without EOC exams, and an extra block of planning period if we're able to accommodate them. Other than those paltry exceptions and their athletic stipend (ours is very good for a small rural school), they are no less expendable than our great educators.

oh yeah. agree to disagree. no problems here at all. actually agree with your point of if a coach is a good coach they are gonna be good at whatever they are asked to do. I don't see how high school coaches do it. one of the toughest jobs for sure. you are right,  Rural is different than metro. Less people, less taxes, less money, more focus on just one program, more politics, etc... My point is not to agree or disagree but to say ALL coaches deserve more money as long as they are earning it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2021 at 3:29 PM, tradertwo said:

Very good information, but didn't attempt to answer the question at all. With everything considered that you posted, how does the Director of Schools and BOE justify hiring JCM coaches to a more lucrative, yet less demanding contract than the proven ones at JSS?

Thank you. I realize now the question was regarding the coaches, not players. To which, I have no answer. Guess I will have to alert the other boosters that we have an economic disparity issue with our beloved coaches at SS. Time for a capital campaign among alumni. Think I will Chair that committee. ;)

Perhaps I should also have a sit down with our Superintendent and Vice Super (a SS alum) and share my concerns regarding the pay scale for our SS coaches.

They, along with our School Board Chair were in Murfreesboro to support our mens team in March '21.

But alas, the TSSAA did us one solid basketball favor with the new alignment.

We'll be seeing y'all in Murfreesboro yearly from now on. :)

#HawkNation

#HereComesTheCloser

Edited by HereComesTheCloser

On 9/13/2021 at 7:03 PM, HereComesTheCloser said:

Thank you. I realize now the question was regarding the coaches, not players. To which, I have no answer. Guess I will have to alert the other boosters that we have an economic disparity issue with our beloved coaches at SS. Time for a capital campaign among alumni. Think I will Chair that committee. ;)

Perhaps I should also have a sit down with our Superintendent and Vice Super (a SS alum) and share my concerns regarding the pay scale for our SS coaches.

They, along with our School Board Chair were in Murfreesboro to support our mens team in March '21.

But alas, the TSSAA did us one solid basketball favor with the new alignment.

We'll be seeing y'all in Murfreesboro yearly from now on. :)

#HawkNation

#HereComesTheCloser

It is not going to take long for the talent in Jackson to split. Way too many good coaches and options. Why would I sit on the bench at SS if I could start and play at JCM, Madison, North Side or even Liberty with a new coach? The best years for SS are going to come to an end. Maybe even sooner than you think.

On 9/15/2021 at 1:01 PM, YouAlreadyKnow said:

It is not going to take long for the talent in Jackson to split. Way too many good coaches and options. Why would I sit on the bench at SS if I could start and play at JCM, Madison, North Side or even Liberty with a new coach? The best years for SS are going to come to an end. Maybe even sooner than you think.

Good point. They've tried their best to split talent. The other schools are lucky, with exception of Madison recently, to win their district.

So our closing line in our recruiting pitch is this:

You can come play for state championships at South Side...or not

#CheckMate

#HawkNation

#HereComesTheCloser

1 hour ago, HereComesTheCloser said:

Good point. They've tried their best to split talent. The other schools are lucky, with exception of Madison recently, to win their district.

So our closing line in our recruiting pitch is this:

You can come play for state championships at South Side...or not

#CheckMate

#HawkNation

#HereComesTheCloser

Yeah I get that. But, a huge part of that pitch is the coach. Now there are options for both girls and boys... Coach Starks, Coach Northcutt, Coach Williams, Coach Rudessil, Coach Ayers, coach Shutes, coach Hicks... Those coaches will have a say where the talent goes. Like I said... 3 years. Especially if SS has coaching changes...

2 hours ago, YouAlreadyKnow said:

Yeah I get that. But, a huge part of that pitch is the coach. Now there are options for both girls and boys... Coach Starks, Coach Northcutt, Coach Williams, Coach Rudessil, Coach Ayers, coach Shutes, coach Hicks... Those coaches will have a say where the talent goes. Like I said... 3 years. Especially if SS has coaching changes...

The city is definitely going to see a change or should I say its very possible that the city will see a talent swing soon. All those listed are great coaches with a huge pedigree and resume of winning. But, Fuller and McNeal fit right in to that list and I only see them leaving by choice. I could be wrong but I think it will only be split to a balance and no school will have a clear cut advantage. Thing is they are all in different classes so really doesn't matter much. 

17 hours ago, BallIsLife1 said:

The city is definitely going to see a change or should I say its very possible that the city will see a talent swing soon. All those listed are great coaches with a huge pedigree and resume of winning. But, Fuller and McNeal fit right in to that list and I only see them leaving by choice. I could be wrong but I think it will only be split to a balance and no school will have a clear cut advantage. Thing is they are all in different classes so really doesn't matter much. 

The rest of the teams in Region 6 AAA will be the teams that benefit. Teams in SS new district like South Gibson and teams in their region like Hardin Co. Chester and McNairy.

Maybe some of those other teams will be able to compete.

Edited by YouAlreadyKnow