Region 7 3A 2021

Allthetalk

On 7/8/2021 at 12:26 PM, ManOfMillions said:

Really hate to hear that. I never want to see/hear about a kid getting hurt... I though Fayne was a senior. If I read that correct and he is still on the team, I think he would be the obvious choose. 

Fayne was a junior last year, so he's coming up on his senior year. BTW, I understand that Covington has three players on the pre-season All State team in 3A: Running Back Jamarion Dowell (Junior), Linebacker Christian Barbee (Senior) and Defensive Back A.C. Mason-Young (Junior).  Found that on this website:

https://www.stateoftennesseehsfb.com

This is a district that is top heavy. It's a district that doesn't necessarily have the playmakers. Covington is the clear cut #1 favorite. Personally, I would want to see Ripley take the next step. Something, I was hoping to see the Tigers do last year, but failed in big moments. Curious: how high is Ripley's ceiling? They have made the playoffs the last two season, but only combined to score 3 points off Haywood in both games. Millington gave all Dyersburg all they can have last year in the opening round of the playoffs. I really do believe of all the teams in this region, the Millington Trojans were the team that needed to hit the weight room. They have the talent to compete, but I just thought they were small. I do like the direction of Millington. 

Dyersburg is starting to be in the same boat as Huntingdon and perhaps, Lexington. They're a really good regular season football team, but they don't scare me as a team that can make the long drive to Chattanooga. However, I want to be wrong. It's just seem like they're a traditional "7-3/8-2" season with 2nd round game, and they're done.

Bolton,  a team that needs stability and can do that with wins. They have the opportunity to do some. It'll be interesting to see if they can do that.

Bolivar, I would have to say that Bolivar has the youngest head coach in the state of Tennessee. Coach Williams is only 26. He has the players, but can he find good assistant coaches that can maximize that talent? That will be the question. I do believe this will be a 3-4 year rebuilding plan in Bolivar. But curious to see how Coach Williams will want his offense/defense to be run. Bolivar has the opportunity to win 5-6 games. Call me crazy, but there's a chance they can do that.

12 hours ago, CHARGERFAN said:

Fayne was a junior last year, so he's coming up on his senior year. BTW, I understand that Covington has three players on the pre-season All State team in 3A: Running Back Jamarion Dowell (Junior), Linebacker Christian Barbee (Senior) and Defensive Back A.C. Mason-Young (Junior).  Found that on this website:

https://www.stateoftennesseehsfb.com

Gotcha, good stuff. I wish Covington nothing but success. Y'all surely have had a great program since SGC came into the picture. We have always been treated well when we have been a guest there. I am sure that Covington is excited to get away from playing the teams from Gibson county! Seems like we have been a thorn in the side for the past few years. I am going to miss those games.... ALOT! Always soooooo much fun. Good luck to your Chargers my friend! 

15 hours ago, ManOfMillions said:

Gotcha, good stuff. I wish Covington nothing but success. Y'all surely have had a great program since SGC came into the picture. We have always been treated well when we have been a guest there. I am sure that Covington is excited to get away from playing the teams from Gibson county! Seems like we have been a thorn in the side for the past few years. I am going to miss those games.... ALOT! Always soooooo much fun. Good luck to your Chargers my friend! 

Personally, I always thought that having Covington play South Gibson and Milan was a good challenge for us (and maybe a little upgrade in y’all’s schedule too).  I always thought that version of Region 7-3A was the toughest 3A region in the state. It was good preparation for the playoffs. It was no surprise that the best team from that Region advanced to Cookeville 3 of the last 4 years to play Alcoa. 

Good luck to y’all in your new 4A classification. I expect to hear that SGC is able to challenge Milan, who has to be the favorite going in. And no, Stacmot, no disrespect to Haywood. I just think that when Milan puts the dome over their new stadium, along with that Jumbotron, they are going to step up a few notches and apply for membership in the SEC. 

1 hour ago, CHARGERFAN said:

And no, Stacmot, no disrespect to Haywood. I just think that when Milan puts the dome over their new stadium, along with that Jumbotron, they are going to step up a few notches and apply for membership in the SEC. 

No disrespect taken,  Ever since this region (7-4A) was created, I have said that Milan would be is the hands down favorite to win it. 

Edited by stacmot

20 hours ago, CHARGERFAN said:

Personally, I always thought that having Covington play South Gibson and Milan was a good challenge for us (and maybe a little upgrade in y’all’s schedule too).  I always thought that version of Region 7-3A was the toughest 3A region in the state. It was good preparation for the playoffs. It was no surprise that the best team from that Region advanced to Cookeville 3 of the last 4 years to play Alcoa. 

Good luck to y’all in your new 4A classification. I expect to hear that SGC is able to challenge Milan, who has to be the favorite going in. And no, Stacmot, no disrespect to Haywood. I just think that when Milan puts the dome over their new stadium, along with that Jumbotron, they are going to step up a few notches and apply for membership in the SEC. 

Very true. Well stated my friend. You say  "upgrade " with feathers... SMH...  

Milan is breaking out the check book that's for sure. I used to be amazed at the SEC school that were essentially in an arms race to have biggest and the best....  Seems like we have that same thing going on here in Gibson county. 

3 hours ago, ManOfMillions said:

Very true. Well stated my friend. You say  "upgrade " with feathers... SMH...  

Milan is breaking out the check book that's for sure. I used to be amazed at the SEC school that were essentially in an arms race to have biggest and the best....  Seems like we have that same thing going on here in Gibson county. 

Yeah, I’ve been reading some of BPM’s posts and a dome appears to be the next thing Milan will choose. Just a little humor there.

On 7/10/2021 at 1:06 PM, TryNotToSuck said:

This is a district that is top heavy. It's a district that doesn't necessarily have the playmakers. Covington is the clear cut #1 favorite. Personally, I would want to see Ripley take the next step. Something, I was hoping to see the Tigers do last year, but failed in big moments. Curious: how high is Ripley's ceiling? They have made the playoffs the last two season, but only combined to score 3 points off Haywood in both games. Millington gave all Dyersburg all they can have last year in the opening round of the playoffs. I really do believe of all the teams in this region, the Millington Trojans were the team that needed to hit the weight room. They have the talent to compete, but I just thought they were small. I do like the direction of Millington. 

Dyersburg is starting to be in the same boat as Huntingdon and perhaps, Lexington. They're a really good regular season football team, but they don't scare me as a team that can make the long drive to Chattanooga. However, I want to be wrong. It's just seem like they're a traditional "7-3/8-2" season with 2nd round game, and they're done.

Bolton,  a team that needs stability and can do that with wins. They have the opportunity to do some. It'll be interesting to see if they can do that.

Bolivar, I would have to say that Bolivar has the youngest head coach in the state of Tennessee. Coach Williams is only 26. He has the players, but can he find good assistant coaches that can maximize that talent? That will be the question. I do believe this will be a 3-4 year rebuilding plan in Bolivar. But curious to see how Coach Williams will want his offense/defense to be run. Bolivar has the opportunity to win 5-6 games. Call me crazy, but there's a chance they can do that.

You are spot on about Dyersburg. Traditionally do not have a challenging Non Region schedule that could help prepare them for the post season. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Since a lot of schools around the state had their first preseason scrimmage this week, I was wondering if there was any scrimmage news involving 7-3A teams.  I did see some info about Ripley scrimmaging Lake Co. and Caruthersville, Missouri in a 1A thread, and I do know that Dyersburg was scheduled to scrimmage Lewis Co. and Lexington.  Any other scrimmages?  Any recaps?

2 hours ago, stacmot said:

Since a lot of schools around the state had their first preseason scrimmage this week, I was wondering if there was any scrimmage news involving 7-3A teams.  I did see some info about Ripley scrimmaging Lake Co. and Caruthersville, Missouri in a 1A thread, and I do know that Dyersburg was scheduled to scrimmage Lewis Co. and Lexington.  Any other scrimmages?  Any recaps?

Ripley appeared to be real young. They have a big bruising fullback. Their line play was very suspect. Defensively they struggled against the run and seemed lost in coverage alot of times. Again, it appeared that they are a young team that will get better. I think Ripley will battle for the 4th spot in the region.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, lakecounty1968 said:

Ripley appeared to be real young. They have a big bruising fullback. Their line play was very suspect. Defensively they struggled against the run and seemed lost in coverage alot of times. Again, it appeared that they are a young team that will get better. I think Ripley will battle for the 4th spot in the region.

Thanks!  From looking at the 1A thread, it sounds like your Falcons are going to be tough.