2022 State Tournament

rideOut

With the public schools division being divided up to an even 75 - 75 split this upcoming season, how will the state tournament format be set up? I couldn't see them having one division qualify more for state than the other, but I might be wrong.

32-man bracket for both divisions

24-man bracket for both divisions

16-man bracket for both divisions

A sub-state format with the top four from each region go onto the sub-state (two regions combined to make 4 total sub-state tournaments) and have an 8 man bracket with the top 4 coming out and going to state? 16-man bracket at state?

Any thoughts?

3 hours ago, rideOut said:

With the public schools division being divided up to an even 75 - 75 split this upcoming season, how will the state tournament format be set up? I couldn't see them having one division qualify more for state than the other, but I might be wrong.

32-man bracket for both divisions

24-man bracket for both divisions

16-man bracket for both divisions

A sub-state format with the top four from each region go onto the sub-state (two regions combined to make 4 total sub-state tournaments) and have an 8 man bracket with the top 4 coming out and going to state? 16-man bracket at state?

Any thoughts?

I would love 24 man brackets. The sub-state winners would get an automatic bye

I do not like the idea of a sub state.  For our region, we would be paired with the Bradley/Cleveland region.  So a kid would have to survive our region and then compete with the Cleveland/Bradley region just to go to state.  Some teams will have a very hard team to have any state qualifiers.  

I don't like the idea of anything that makes our state tournament smaller.  I know there are issues in keeping  it large.  However, I believe this doesn't help grow the sport.  I feel like we're going backwards.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, CoachBray said:

I do not like the idea of a sub state.  For our region, we would be paired with the Bradley/Cleveland region.  So a kid would have to survive our region and then compete with the Cleveland/Bradley region just to go to state.  Some teams will have a very hard team to have any state qualifiers.  

I don't like the idea of anything that makes our state tournament smaller.  I know there are issues in keeping  it large.  However, I believe this doesn't help grow the sport.  I feel like we're going backwards.

That’s tough. 32 to 24 seems reasonable, but 16 should not happen

9 hours ago, cbg said:

What about the days when there were no divisions and you only had a 16 man bracket.  The cream will rise to the top 

That is true, but you have to take into consideration that participation levels have risen over the years and it only makes sense for the number of divisions to grow with the sport. There is a sweet spot where if there are too many divisions/champions it becomes oversaturated and loses its value. On the other hand if there is too few divisions/champions it turns kids away to other sports where they feel like they have a better shot at winning. I think we can all admit losing isn't fun.

With a 32-man bracket for AAA and 16-man bracket for A-AA this past classification cycle it makes logical sense for there to be 2 even 24-man brackets since everything will now be evened out. However, I'm not sure if that is the approach TSSAA will take.

• Like 1

24 man brackets would make the 3rd/4th place matches at regionals exciting and worth watching.

Also, we really liked Chattanooga and the venue this year. Nice to be able to have hotels steps away and to be able to walk to restaurants. Would have liked to see the finals mat be separated from the other 2 mats at the end and have the crowd be able to have 360 degree access to seating to make the finals stand out a bit. But, I think the venue did great.

45 minutes ago, WrestlinFan said:

24 man brackets would make the 3rd/4th place matches at regionals exciting and worth watching.

Also, we really liked Chattanooga and the venue this year. Nice to be able to have hotels steps away and to be able to walk to restaurants. Would have liked to see the finals mat be separated from the other 2 mats at the end and have the crowd be able to have 360 degree access to seating to make the finals stand out a bit. But, I think the venue did great.

No way that venue is better than the AG center.  You couldn’t see the matches on several mats. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, rideOut said:

That is true, but you have to take into consideration that participation levels have risen over the years and it only makes sense for the number of divisions to grow with the sport. There is a sweet spot where if there are too many divisions/champions it becomes oversaturated and loses its value. On the other hand if there is too few divisions/champions it turns kids away to other sports where they feel like they have a better shot at winning. I think we can all admit losing isn't fun.

With a 32-man bracket for AAA and 16-man bracket for A-AA this past classification cycle it makes logical sense for there to be 2 even 24-man brackets since everything will now be evened out. However, I'm not sure if that is the approach TSSAA will take.

If you look at the numbers of the top wrestling states the numbers in Tennessee are really small.  IMO, if you want a 32 man bracket then place everyone back together for the individual tournament.  Let's be honest and say that the competition in all divisions is not as difficult as it should be at the state tournament.  The YMCA philosophy that everyone deserves a trophy/medal is BS.  You should only receive what you earn from great competition.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cbg said:

If you look at the numbers of the top wrestling states the numbers in Tennessee are really small.  IMO, if you want a 32 man bracket then place everyone back together for the individual tournament.  Let's be honest and say that the competition in all divisions is not as difficult as it should be at the state tournament.  The YMCA philosophy that everyone deserves a trophy/medal is BS.  You should only receive what you earn from great competition.  

TRUTH

I would like to see a break down of placers by region from recent past state individual tournaments before I committed to a particular option.    Whatever is done has to account for the fact that some of the regions are less than good when evaluated as a whole.  I'm probably in the camp that says let a high number of kids go so that there isn't situations where a deserving kid who is third or fourth place in his region and simultaneously third or fourth in the state doesn't get left out.   Getting that kid the opportunity to medal is more important than not devaluing the label of state qualifier in my opinion.