South Side vs Westview (7-AA region title)

dmm88

2 minutes ago, HawkGuy06 said:

I never have a problem with a ref being horrible! Just be horrible on both ends not just on one side! 

That’s right. Neutral fans probably loved it. Fans stood up the middle of the forth on into overtime. It was a Balboa Creed slugfest. Very loud in the gym last night.

1 hour ago, pioneer42 said:

They were just not consistent at all. Seemed like every call on both sides was a blocking foul. They didn’t call obvious charges and it was both ways. They called fouls on both teams where both players were hammered and everyone was moving on the offense. They got into both teams head obviously. They would call fouls and choose a number. Very frustrating game with the officials. Both ways. Nobody is happy when you get officials that really don’t need to be out there. BABABA hit the nail on the head. Bad crew for a championship game of the Region. 

Sadly, there aren't a lot of "good crews" to go around. At this point, you go into games assuming the officiating is going to be questionable at best and do what you can. 

That being said, there are a lot of fans that are quick to call "bad officiating", just because calls weren't in their favor. Very few fans can watch the game without rose colored glasses. I'm not saying any of the mentioned fan bases are in this thread, but most of the time (especially on CoachT) fans are quick to point the finger and not the thumb.

On 3/4/2021 at 12:00 AM, TryNotToSuck said:

How do you know it was “Westview refs”?? In postseason, officials cannot officiating their teams that is currently in their association after the district tournament. So, no official that was in the southern part of the West Tennessee association, and the northern part of the West Tennessee association (there are two different associations in W. TN), officiated that game. They either came from Memphis, or they were in an association that’s across the river. The TSSAA has been doing that for years, now. So why would this year be any different? Please explain 

All those refs are NW officials which is the association that Westview uses all year. I know the black official and the older guy I've seen officiate at Dyersburg. I asked a coach that was there about it and he said normally region games 7AA would have Memphis officials but i guess since they didn't play, their association didn't send any or there was a change. 

There were bad calls both ways as in every game. I agree there were several times that the officials weren't counting 5 seconds or started counting late or stopped counting earlier. The guy beside apparently was an official and he said it also. Hawk Guy mentions the block call, which in did was a block and I also saw the official signal block but gave the foul to someone else. Which would have given Jada 2 or 3 fouls I believe that possibly could have sat her down, who knows if it would have mattered? South Side got a way with some physical play throughout, but it looked like early on they were going to let them battle. There was a couple more block/charge calls that could have went either way that if they would have called them Jada she could have had 4 or possibly fouled out. All in All, I loved watching the game and glad I got to see her. As a 10th grader, she is extremely dangerous and knows how to get to where she needs to be. Great player!

Someone mentioned South Side struggled against Westview's zone. I will have to disagree, their post players had a field day. Westview made more shots and made them when it hurt. I didn't get a ticket to either game tonight but I am glued here for updates. I'm sure Westview runs away with Fayette Ware but South Side and Covington will be good.

Edited by BallIsLife1

54 minutes ago, BallIsLife1 said:

All those refs are NW officials which is the association that Westview uses all year. I know the black official and the older guy I've seen officiate at Dyersburg. I asked a coach that was there about it and he said normally region games 7AA would have Memphis officials but i guess since they didn't play, their association didn't send any or there was a change. 

There were bad calls both ways as in every game. I agree there were several times that the officials weren't counting 5 seconds or started counting late or stopped counting earlier. The guy beside apparently was an official and he said it also. Hawk Guy mentions the block call, which in did was a block and I also saw the official signal block but gave the foul to someone else. Which would have given Jada 2 or 3 fouls I believe that possibly could have sat her down, who knows if it would have mattered? South Side got a way with some physical play throughout, but it looked like early on they were going to let them battle. There was a couple more block/charge calls that could have went either way that if they would have called them Jada she could have had 4 or possibly fouled out. All in All, I loved watching the game and glad I got to see her. As a 10th grader, she is extremely dangerous and knows how to get to where she needs to be. Great player!

Someone mentioned South Side struggled against Westview's zone. I will have to disagree, their post players had a field day. Westview made more shots and made them when it hurt. I didn't get a ticket to either game tonight but I am glued here for updates. I'm sure Westview runs away with Fayette Ware but South Side and Covington will be good.

West TN officials as a rule during regular season has let a lot of hand checks and body contact fouls go that will get called in Murfreesboro. They do call lots of charges in the Boro too. South Side and Gibson County both hopefully won’t have officials that calls the foul on a wrong player no more. Happend to us twice at GC and on the same player the other night. That is inexcusable. I think Covington and Dyersburg on a nuetral floor Covington would be a 4 point favorite and South Side has beaten Dyersburg pretty bad both times. Do think South Side will win tonight by 12 and will pull away late in a really tough battle. Westview I will take by 18 with a scrappy Fayette Ware team. 

1 hour ago, BallIsLife1 said:

Man I can’t argue with nothing that you said! Jada is definitely special no doubt about it! You know the game! 

yea I have Wv by 12! Fayette Ware is just too inexperienced to beat them. FW is no push over but them young post players #15 & #24 are pretty good already! 

36 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

West TN officials as a rule during regular season has let a lot of hand checks and body contact fouls go that will get called in Murfreesboro. They do call lots of charges in the Boro too. South Side and Gibson County both hopefully won’t have officials that calls the foul on a wrong player no more. Happend to us twice at GC and on the same player the other night. That is inexcusable. I think Covington and Dyersburg on a nuetral floor Covington would be a 4 point favorite and South Side has beaten Dyersburg pretty bad both times. Do think South Side will win tonight by 12 and will pull away late in a really tough battle. Westview I will take by 18 with a scrappy Fayette Ware team. 

It was horrible! No way that should happen! I think it will be tight tonight, at the end we win by 12! Covington is legit but they can’t shoot like Westview can at home! SS 48 Cov 36! 

did you see the state bracket yet for AA? 

14 minutes ago, HawkGuy06 said:

It was horrible! No way that should happen! I think it will be tight tonight, at the end we win by 12! Covington is legit but they can’t shoot like Westview can at home! SS 48 Cov 36! 

did you see the state bracket yet for AA? 

Yeah I think the AA Tournament might be the most competitive I have seen in a while and I won’t get to watch it. I love watching all the games every year but not this year. South Side/Macon and Westview/York will be the likely matchups. We do have to keep in mind that McMinn Central and Meigs are teams that could upset them in their substate game. Every AA team to me is pretty solid. Do think that especially in Tournament play you have to shut down a player or players and make someone else beat you. If that means faceguarding and and not pulling off of your man on help side so be it. Have to have strategies to not let their best players beat you.

Edited by pioneer42

7 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

Yeah I think the AA Tournament might be the most competitive I have seen in a while and I won’t get to watch it. I love watching all the games every year but not this year. South Side/Macon and Westview/York will be the likely matchups. We do have to keep in mind that McMinn Central and Meigs are teams that could upset them in their substate game. Every AA team to me is pretty solid. Do think that especially in Tournament play you have to shut down a player or players and make someone else beat you. If that means faceguarding and and not pulling off of your man on help side so be it. Have to have strategies to not let their best players beat you.

I thought it was funny that after all that 8AA talk, both West Tn teams draw them 1 round of the state tournament lol. Also our boys could possibly play a 8AA team in York lol(if we win of course)