Arlington v. Dyer County Postgame

GrumpyBulldog

I will say this... When we had a long layoff between the regular season and district tournament, we were calling teams left and right trying to schedule a game. Since Greenfield played Arlington in the past, we reached out to coach shields to see if she wanted to play us. She was very complementary on our program  and knew that we had a good team. The game was well played and everyone was on their best behavior. Both teams had great sportsmanship and even picked each opposing player up when they were down. After the game some of the players parents and fans went up to her and thanked her for a great game and we were very thankful that they drove 2 hours to play  us on a school night. In turn she was very proud of our programs success and wished us luck in the postseason. Coach Shields is a great coach and she has a great relationship with her girls( even working with some one on one in the offseason). Her Facebook page is filled with positive energy and just her team having fun either in practice or during games. Its very unfortunate that this mess has happened to the Arlington and I hate it for her players. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, rebelman101 said:

I will say this... When we had a long layoff between the regular season and district tournament, we were calling teams left and right trying to schedule a game. Since Greenfield played Arlington in the past, we reached out to coach shields to see if she wanted to play us. She was very complementary on our program  and knew that we had a good team. The game was well played and everyone was on their best behavior. Both teams had great sportsmanship and even picked each opposing player up when they were down. After the game some of the players parents and fans went up to her and thanked her for a great game and we were very thankful that they drove 2 hours to play  us on a school night. In turn she was very proud of our programs success and wished us luck in the postseason. Coach Shields is a great coach and she has a great relationship with her girls( even working with some one on one in the offseason). Her Facebook page is filled with positive energy and just her team having fun either in practice or during games. Its very unfortunate that this mess has happened to the Arlington and I hate it for her players. 

We have played Arlington every year but this year. We have never had any problems with them. Just a tough game.

8 hours ago, rebelman101 said:

8 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

We have played Arlington every year but this year. We have never had any problems with them. Just a tough game.

Not sure a Facebook page is a indicator I'm going to use to know what goes on in a program.  Probably not going to see the negative. Tough competition with Arlington is always a given. Usually not issues on floor. Maybe this year it comes from player on opposing team playing for AAU squad for Arlington coach. 

Question I think should be asked is, if any other school program had a coach with knowledge a incident like occurred was going to take place, had a family member involved much less carry it out, let their own players be involved and then help them get away. How long would that coach keep their job? Much less trying to cover it up and cry when TSSAA dropped the hammer. 

A serious crime has been committed and people want to blame the victim.   That is the state of our society and it is sad.   A blindsided assault and people want to talk about the victim as he caused this.  To read the comments about the Dyer county coach and his attitude and antics as if they are bad and all others involved are such good people, being cocky with a bad attitude if that is the case is far less harmless that assault and a mob mentality.    Now keep saying how good the Arlington Sportsmanship is and how bad the Dyer county sportsmanship is, and you will continue to show your ignorance and bias.   

20 minutes ago, HCHSladyPats said:

A serious crime has been committed and people want to blame the victim.   That is the state of our society and it is sad.   A blindsided assault and people want to talk about the victim as he caused this.  To read the comments about the Dyer county coach and his attitude and antics as if they are bad and all others involved are such good people, being cocky with a bad attitude if that is the case is far less harmless that assault and a mob mentality.    Now keep saying how good the Arlington Sportsmanship is and how bad the Dyer county sportsmanship is, and you will continue to show your ignorance and bias.   

With a couple of exceptions, most people aren't excusing the severity of the attack. That being said, just because someone was unfairly attacked, doesn't excuse the actions that they had that led up to it. It is okay to condemn more than one party involved. DC coach shouldn't have said certain things that he said or done certain things he did. It doesn't justify him being attacked, but he should still be held accountable for his actions as well. Similarly, Arlington should be held accountable for the actions of their players and coaches, even if they weren't the ones that threw the punch. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, SportsWestTN said:

With a couple of exceptions, most people aren't excusing the severity of the attack. That being said, just because someone was unfairly attacked, doesn't excuse the actions that they had that led up to it. It is okay to condemn more than one party involved. DC coach shouldn't have said certain things that he said or done certain things he did. It doesn't justify him being attacked, but he should still be held accountable for his actions as well. Similarly, Arlington should be held accountable for the actions of their players and coaches, even if they weren't the ones that threw the punch. 

So you really think the Arlington coach wasnt making any comments during the week? Kinda doubt it. Not looking to get into a he said/ she said whataboutism discussion.. There are bigger issues. Safety and security is forefront.

42 minutes ago, OrangeGuru said:

So you really think the Arlington coach wasnt making any comments during the week? Kinda doubt it. Not looking to get into a he said/ she said whataboutism discussion.. There are bigger issues. Safety and security is forefront.

Are there accusations that she said something inappropriate? If so, I'm willing to hear what was said and make a judgement on it. To this point, I haven't heard that being part of this conversation. 

1 hour ago, SportsWestTN said:

Are there accusations that she said something inappropriate? If so, I'm willing to hear what was said and make a judgement on it. To this point, I haven't heard that being part of this conversation. 

Have you heard what has supposed to be said from DC ? I have not. But willing to make a judgement on words over an assault doesnt really seem appropriate. I do think it is time to let it drop from the discussion which I am going to do and see whether appropriate action comes from administration or whether its a just a finger wagging and play the part of the victim.