CLASS A STATE TOURNAMENT BRACKET

33 minutes ago, Jaychapman said:

So did Summertown / Lamar played old timey get 1 pt lead and hold the ball / my old ball coach always said when they hold the ball they know other team bett

Nope.

both teams were trying to build a brick house. To be fair though the defenses were suffocating for both teams.

Clarkrange scored at the buzzer at the end of the 3rd and didn’t make another field goal until under 2 minutes to go in OT.

The size of Summertown’s guards were totally disruptive to the guard play of Clarkrange.

Summertown’s guards easily had 30lbs on the Monday twins and they could stay with them. Very impressive.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RidinSplinters said:

Nope.

both teams were trying to build a brick house. To be fair though the defenses were suffocating for both teams.

Clarkrange scored at the buzzer at the end of the 3rd and didn’t make another field goal until under 2 minutes to go in OT.

The size of Summertown’s guards were totally disruptive to the guard play of Clarkrange.

Summertown’s guards easily had 30lbs on the Monday twins and they could stay with them. Very impressive.

Jones and Campbell and Brasier took it to them. Their defense reminds me of ours in 2919. The title is theirs to win now. They are favorites moving forward. 

Amazing that a highly touted team could play this bad and still win. I think both teams played bad enough to lose if their opponent had been somebody different.

The Lady Eagles (28-3) managed to win despite shooting just 9-for-40 from the floor (4-18 3-pointers) against Clarkrange, the No. 4 team in the final Associated Press Class A statewide regular-season poll. Putting the ball through the rim wins games. 9 for 40 won't win a State Champsionship.

Nothing to brag about here !

19 minutes ago, Bulldog2396 said:

Amazing that a highly touted team could play this bad and still win. I think both teams played bad enough to lose if their opponent had been somebody different.

The Lady Eagles (28-3) managed to win despite shooting just 9-for-40 from the floor (4-18 3-pointers) against Clarkrange, the No. 4 team in the final Associated Press Class A statewide regular-season poll. Putting the ball through the rim wins games. 9 for 40 won't win a State Champsionship.

Nothing to brag about here !

Their D (possibly combined with the gym/atmosphere) caused the ugly offensive performances by both teams.

But, don't be confused.  After seeing how NG and GC handled pressure, both Summertown and Clarkrange would have steamrolled any team not named Loretto today.  With the possible exception being Clay Co.  They had a great gameplan and good execution to boot.  Loretto has great half court defense, but from a full court perspective, you saw the two best in A battle each other today in this contest.  

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mas1821 said:

Their D (possibly combined with the gym/atmosphere) caused the ugly offensive performances by both teams.

But, don't be confused.  After seeing how NG and GC handled pressure, both Summertown and Clarkrange would have steamrolled any team not named Loretto today.  With the possible exception being Clay Co.  They had a great gameplan and good execution to boot.  Loretto has great half court defense, but from a full court perspective, you saw the two best in A battle each other today in this contest.  

Just my 2 cents.

I told y’all all along Gibson County was very young and for sure didn’t know how they would react in a state tournament atmosphere. They had 1 player that had 1 game experience last year against Pickett County. Another player had about 5 minutes experience. You want to know the truth Gibson County’s defensive pressure played really well for the most part. Gibson County’s defense keeps them in games. I hadn’t seen Gibson County get “steamrolled” ever up here if you want to get technical about it. I think we would likely have lost them games but our defense probably kept us competitive throughout. 

Edited by pioneer42

Just now, pioneer42 said:

I told y’all all along Gibson County was very young and for sure didn’t know how they would react in a state tournament atmosphere. They had 1 player that had 1 game experience last year against Pickett County. Another player had about 5 minutes experience. You want to know the truth Gibson County’s defensive pressure played really well for the most part. Gibson County’s defense keeps them in games. I hadn’t seen Gibson County get “steamrolled” ever you here if you want to get technical about it. I think we would likely have lost them games but our defense probably kept us competitive throughout. 

Not saying in a normal or average setting, bud.  Just speaking solely on todays performances.  NG upped the pressure in the 4th period, and gibson county (as a whole) didnt handle it well.  Summertown and Clarkrange would have brought more intensity and pressed the entire game.  Based solely on how things panned out today, I dont think it would've been close had y'all played either.  Definitely no hate or ill feelings intended.  Just my honest observation.  I have the utmost respect for Gibson Co and think yall will continue to be a major player for a long time!

11 minutes ago, mas1821 said:

Not saying in a normal or average setting, bud.  Just speaking solely on todays performances.  NG upped the pressure in the 4th period, and gibson county (as a whole) didnt handle it well.  Summertown and Clarkrange would have brought more intensity and pressed the entire game.  Based solely on how things panned out today, I dont think it would've been close had y'all played either.  Definitely no hate or ill feelings intended.  Just my honest observation.  I have the utmost respect for Gibson Co and think yall will continue to be a major player for a long time!

We had 15 TO’s and had they had 19. You may be right. I do think our young girls time and time again came through and they were do an off night. They double and triple teamed our post and we shot 2-20 from three point land and these two big girls kept us from getting to the rim. Think they might have played a little more poised the second day personally. These young girls beat 2 D-1 players in Union City and knocked them out in a do or die game. I personally think Loretto playing fast and pressing whole game is great for them. They want to get in the open court and create some space. We will be back next year stronger than ever. We lose nobody and we have lost 14 players combined the last two years counting attrition. Good luck to you guys!! 

3 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

We had 15 TO’s and had they had 19. You may be right. I do think our young girls time and time again came through and they were do an off night. They double and triple teamed our post and we shot 2-20 from three point land and these two big girls kept us from getting to the rim. Think they might have played a little more poised the second day personally. These young girls beat 2 D-1 players in Union City and knocked them out in a do or die game. I personally think Loretto playing fast and pressing whole game is great for them. They want to get in the open court and create some space. We will be back next year stronger than ever. We lose nobody and we have lost 14 players combined the last two years counting attrition. Good luck to you guys!! 

Yep.  I've watched multiple streams of GC.  Today was not the norm.  Had y'all pulled this out today, I believe y'all would've came back Friday and gave Summertown all they wanted, no doubt.

Happy for NG to get to this point, but hate that it came at the expense of such a talented and well coached team.  Talk to coach and tell him to get LHS on the schedule next year!  We love to play ball against great teams like GC!

Thanks bud.

1 hour ago, mas1821 said:

Yep.  I've watched multiple streams of GC.  Today was not the norm.  Had y'all pulled this out today, I believe y'all would've came back Friday and gave Summertown all they wanted, no doubt.

Happy for NG to get to this point, but hate that it came at the expense of such a talented and well coached team.  Talk to coach and tell him to get LHS on the schedule next year!  We love to play ball against great teams like GC!

Thanks bud.

Clay County is a good team as well but I think y’all win a little closer battle than you might have thought. I think Summertown wins bigger than you guys, but it wouldn’t surprise me to continue to see lower scoring and poorer shooting outings in his tournament. I knew Summertown was good because the way they have played y’all and I thought all along Summertown was the better team between them and Clarkrange but I honestly didn’t know how they would handle the press. The most impressive part of that game was the way their 1,2 and 3 handled pressure and defended. Jones, Campbell and Brashier put on a show. I am not so sure Clarkrange would have matched up with Loretto either. I think Loretto could have done what they did to Greenfield’s press against Clarkrange and I think Loretto’s length could have caused problems as well on the perimeter for Clarkrange. 

• Like 1