CLASS A STATE TOURNAMENT BRACKET

13 hours ago, Americal198 said:

A coach should not place blame or belittle his/her players in the media. Yes, the kids will get yelled at in the locker-room or during time-outs. Chalk it up to the excitement during the game. But apologizing for the team's effort, after the dust has settled, in the newspaper, etc. is a no-no in my opinion.

Summertown is a shooting team. 5-6 players deep. 10 3pointers a game is just ordinary. Yes they did not shoot the ball well. They also completely changed their play. They ran the same defense all year which transitioned to their offense. Get to state tournament and did not play the same way. And she never adjusted. When all else fails go back to what got you there.  They never got to get in their rhythm. Shooters need rhythm. Also they needed Burdette against Loretto. They couldn’t stop her. Although I do believe she was on the bad end of officiating. They let soooo much go for Both teams but she couldn’t look at someone without a foul. It’s also hard to believe that Lorettos post player played whole game going up against her and playing all around the basket swatting and playing defense on all those drives to baskets and battling for rebounds and ended up with NO fouls for entire game. That’s tough. But Summertown kept switching on their man to man and Burdette would end up guarding Karly Weathers. That switch should never happen. Karly would just clear everyone out and take her to the basket. That’s good coaching on one side and bad coaching on the other. And she got her 4th foul with 7 min to go and she never took her out. That hurt. Fouled out min or so after that. So yes Summertown did not shoot like they have shot all year. But I don’t think they would have 3 bad games in a row shooting if they would have played their game. Hats off to them though. Winning against the two teams they beat and losing championship game by only 8 after playing way under par just shows how great of a team they were. Nothing to be ashamed of. 

7 hours ago, JBT35 said:

Summertown is a shooting team. 5-6 players deep. 10 3pointers a game is just ordinary. Yes they did not shoot the ball well. They also completely changed their play. They ran the same defense all year which transitioned to their offense. Get to state tournament and did not play the same way. And she never adjusted. When all else fails go back to what got you there.  They never got to get in their rhythm. Shooters need rhythm. Also they needed Burdette against Loretto. They couldn’t stop her. Although I do believe she was on the bad end of officiating. They let soooo much go for Both teams but she couldn’t look at someone without a foul. It’s also hard to believe that Lorettos post player played whole game going up against her and playing all around the basket swatting and playing defense on all those drives to baskets and battling for rebounds and ended up with NO fouls for entire game. That’s tough. But Summertown kept switching on their man to man and Burdette would end up guarding Karly Weathers. That switch should never happen. Karly would just clear everyone out and take her to the basket. That’s good coaching on one side and bad coaching on the other. And she got her 4th foul with 7 min to go and she never took her out. That hurt. Fouled out min or so after that. So yes Summertown did not shoot like they have shot all year. But I don’t think they would have 3 bad games in a row shooting if they would have played their game. Hats off to them though. Winning against the two teams they beat and losing championship game by only 8 after playing way under par just shows how great of a team they were. Nothing to be ashamed of. 

Agree on a lot here.  Summertown didnt shoot well all tournament. Alot was missed on both sides.  I did see one foul on Burdette (when guarding Karly) that was very ticky tack and could have been called a walk. However, the play where Kensey got hurt and went out could have very easily been called a foul on Burdette, but wasn't.  I saw two times under the basket that Kensey should have been whistled and wasn't (I was at the game, then rewatched a recording at home).  I also saw several body checks, reach in's, and incidental elbows in the final 4 minutes while Summertown was pressuring trying to mount a comeback, and the refs let them play.  Had your average State Tournament officiating have occurred, both teams would have had multiple in foul trouble.  The only reason I didn't lose my voice hollering at the refs is they were consistent in letting foul after foul go on both sides.

As for what attributed to the outcome.  Loretto's press had been nonexistent and ineffective during the first 3 meetings.  Our girls were bought into a 4 qtr press at the murphy center and forced a ton of turnovers that y'all didn't commit earlier in the season.

In the end... 

Loretto residents are big Summertown fans (when we aren't playing each other).  I hate it that your Seniors fell short, because they worked their butts off!  The tip off save was the epitome of Summertown's team this year.  Hard work, Hustle, 110%.  Great year and look forward to doing AA with y'all next year!

This game looked fairly similar to the previous 3 meetings between Summertown and Loretto.  A few differences, in my opinion, were the difference in the outcome.  

1. Loretto took care of the ball.  In their previous meetings, Loretto's guards not named Karly struggled with turnovers against Summertown's defense.  Those same guards played very well in the championship game and avoided turnovers.  This allowed Loretto to keep Summertown out of transition, which is where Summertown was at its best.  

2. Summertown did not shoot well.  This was the case in all three games at the Murphy Center.  They had several looks in the championship game that would have changed momentum or, in the 3rd quarter, extended their lead.  They just couldn't knock them down.  

3. Loretto's ability to get to the free throw line was huge.  If I remember the final stats correctly, Loretto was 19-26 from the FT line compared to Summertown at 5-8.  In previous meetings this year, those numbers were much closer.

4. Burdette being in foul trouble.  She had no issues with foul trouble in previous matchups.  She was really good in the championship game and her minutes being limited due to foul trouble was a big blow for Summertown.  

All that to say, Loretto deserved to win that game.  They played their best basketball in the last couple weeks of the season.  Karly Weathers is a special talent and will give Loretto a chance to compete again next season.  Summertown had a heck of a season and will have to figure out how to replace 4 senior starters.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, maddams said:

This game looked fairly similar to the previous 3 meetings between Summertown and Loretto.  A few differences, in my opinion, were the difference in the outcome.  

1. Loretto took care of the ball.  In their previous meetings, Loretto's guards not named Karly struggled with turnovers against Summertown's defense.  Those same guards played very well in the championship game and avoided turnovers.  This allowed Loretto to keep Summertown out of transition, which is where Summertown was at its best.  

2. Summertown did not shoot well.  This was the case in all three games at the Murphy Center.  They had several looks in the championship game that would have changed momentum or, in the 3rd quarter, extended their lead.  They just couldn't knock them down.  

3. Loretto's ability to get to the free throw line was huge.  If I remember the final stats correctly, Loretto was 19-26 from the FT line compared to Summertown at 5-8.  In previous meetings this year, those numbers were much closer.

4. Burdette being in foul trouble.  She had no issues with foul trouble in previous matchups.  She was really good in the championship game and her minutes being limited due to foul trouble was a big blow for Summertown.  

All that to say, Loretto deserved to win that game.  They played their best basketball in the last couple weeks of the season.  Karly Weathers is a special talent and will give Loretto a chance to compete again next season.  Summertown had a heck of a season and will have to figure out how to replace 4 senior starters.

Summertown could not score in the half court with Burdette on the bench. Also it changed the paint on the other end with her on the bench. She sat a while even in the first half. When Loretto wasn’t turning it over and Summertown missing their outside shots and Summertown not being able to get post buckets it completely gave Loretto the edge. I do think the bottom bracket took a toll on Summertown as well. Loretto though was the best team in the state at the end of the year when it counted. They were playing the best ball and got hot at the right time. Summertown and Loretto two really great programs. Congrats to both on great years!! 

Edited by pioneer42
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

Summertown could not score in the half court with Burdette on the bench. Also it changed the paint on the other end with her on the bench. She sat a while even in the first half. When Loretto wasn’t turning it over and Summertown missing their outside shots and Summertown not being able to get post buckets it completely gave Loretto the edge. I do think the bottom bracket took a toll on Summertown as well. Loretto though was the best team in the state at the end of the year when it counted. They were playing the best ball and got hot at the right time. Summertown and Loretto two really great programs. Congrats to both on great years!! 

I just went to pull the box score from TSSAA website.  Burdette played 16 minutes in the game.  Major blow for Summertown offensively and defensively.  

You're right about Loretto.  They peaked at the right time and were the best team in the last week of the season, which is when it matters most

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, maddams said:

I just went to pull the box score from TSSAA website.  Burdette played 16 minutes in the game.  Major blow for Summertown offensively and defensively.  

You're right about Loretto.  They peaked at the right time and were the best team in the last week of the season, which is when it matters most

That is two quarters without her. We had planned on meeting them in the second round and her scouting report was that she had been in foul trouble in other games. So it definitely helped Loretto a ton with her not playing. Loretto was the more poised team it seemed from day 1. Just a really solid performance. 

• Like 1

On 3/15/2021 at 8:53 AM, mas1821 said:

Agree on a lot here.  Summertown didnt shoot well all tournament. Alot was missed on both sides.  I did see one foul on Burdette (when guarding Karly) that was very ticky tack and could have been called a walk. However, the play where Kensey got hurt and went out could have very easily been called a foul on Burdette, but wasn't.  I saw two times under the basket that Kensey should have been whistled and wasn't (I was at the game, then rewatched a recording at home).  I also saw several body checks, reach in's, and incidental elbows in the final 4 minutes while Summertown was pressuring trying to mount a comeback, and the refs let them play.  Had your average State Tournament officiating have occurred, both teams would have had multiple in foul trouble.  The only reason I didn't lose my voice hollering at the refs is they were consistent in letting foul after foul go on both sides.

As for what attributed to the outcome.  Loretto's press had been nonexistent and ineffective during the first 3 meetings.  Our girls were bought into a 4 qtr press at the murphy center and forced a ton of turnovers that y'all didn't commit earlier in the season.

In the end... 

Loretto residents are big Summertown fans (when we aren't playing each other).  I hate it that your Seniors fell short, because they worked their butts off!  The tip off save was the epitome of Summertown's team this year.  Hard work, Hustle, 110%.  Great year and look forward to doing AA with y'all next year!

My takes from the game... like you I was there in person and rewatched on film

1...  Loretto's fans are "entitled." They ached and whined for 3+ Qs.... I started the game pulling for them but by HT I was in Summertown's corner

2... We've seen those officials for years in the Knoxville area, I knew it was going to be very physical

3... I also knew when Summertown's BIG was fouled out 94ft from basket, it was Loretto's game---and it was. The ticky tack on her guarding Weathers right in front of me was just that.... another foul (maybe her 4th) should have been on her teammate in the paint. And then the 5th..... you don't call that in a one point game after they'd been letting them hammer on each other for 3+ (but like I said, we've seen it for years)

5 hours ago, TheAnswer9 said:

1...  Loretto's fans are "entitled." They ached and whined for 3+ Qs.... I started the game pulling for them but by HT I was in Summertown's corner

2... We've seen those officials for years in the Knoxville area, I knew it was going to be very physical

3... I also knew when Summertown's BIG was fouled out 94ft from basket, it was Loretto's game---and it was. The ticky tack on her guarding Weathers right in front of me was just that.... another foul (maybe her 4th) should have been on her teammate in the paint. And then the 5th..... you don't call that in a one point game after they'd been letting them hammer on each other for 3+ (but like I said, we've seen it for years)

Not entitled. Just like some consistency in our officiating. That was an issue Saturday. The first half they called very little, the second half they called a lot but missed some obvious stuff. 

We generally don’t ache and whine when we play Summertown. They’re always physical and we see them enough that we expect it. That’s how they beat us the first three times. We didn’t handle it well and honestly, I was surprised we handled it as well as we did Saturday. And as a matter of fact, it was the first time we’ve played this year that had that type of officiating. Normally in the mid state, games aren’t called that tight. 

And Burdette’s 5th foul was soft compared to some of the things that happened the entire game. But since she bodied up Kensey Weathers early and got away with it to the point Kensey left the game, we’ll call it even. 

6 hours ago, TheAnswer9 said:

I watched Loretto and Summertown play in Loretto earlier and when I left the gym Summertown won by like 15 or so in a physical game, the first strategy to beat Summertown that popped into my head was to try and get Burdette in foul trouble. I think she didn’t foul out that game but had a couple early in that one. The thing that caught my eye in Murfreesboro was how well Karly was getting the ball to her teammates and how well they defended. Karly clearly took her points when she had them but she looked more to pass the ball than I ever seen her and it paid off. She had I think 19 in the championship and her teammates scored what 30 or so?? Karly always was going to get hers but her teammates getting rolling and playing well and confident and stepping up made them more complete, IMO. Kensey had what 25 against McKenzie?? Got to give Ashley Rutledge big time credit as well. She lost Morgan Welch, Mimi McBee, Raven Chance, Victoria Chadwell and another I believe which were all really good basketball players. After I watched them play Summertown they didn’t look like a team that would win the Gold Ball. They came together and played their best ball when it counted. Got to give credit where credit is due.

Edited by pioneer42