South Pittsburg Pirates’ Coaching Search

OLD PIRATE

4 minutes ago, chs1984 said:

FYI: Unless you know something I don’t, the Valdosta job is not open-yet. The Georgia PSC just opened their investigation today. Why they ever hired that man is beyond me. They are desperate to be relevant again, but will never be what they once was. I’ve lost count of the coaches they have went through, some from top programs in both Georgia and Florida, since Nick Hyder passed away. 

It may have officially been opened today, but it has been going on a while.  He also left Colquit Co under a cloud.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/high-school-sports-blog/valdosta-investigates-propst-allegations-of-funny-money/6BWT4BNQKRHCTM64S35GN4PEQU/

Just now, rlh said:

It may have officially been opened today, but it has been going on a while.  He also left Colquit Co under a cloud.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/high-school-sports-blog/valdosta-investigates-propst-allegations-of-funny-money/6BWT4BNQKRHCTM64S35GN4PEQU/

Yes. He was fired at Colquit. He was also forced out at Hoover. I’m sure it’s just a matter of time at Valdosta. 

30 minutes ago, powerp said:

What has made South Pittsburg a strong powerhouse over the years to me has been coaching consistency. Both Coach Grider’s held down the fort for a long time. A committed coach is important for this hire in my mind.

I agree and think that should be a top priority when making the final decision.  

Whoever gets this job will have some big shoes to fill.  When Vic got out of coaching the first time South Pitt went down hill quick.  When he took the job back they immediately became contenders again. Proof that Vic was the man for the job.  the other guy was a great coach but could not get it done at the Pitt.  Hope this does not happen with this hire.

• Like 1

I personally hope Jones gets the job. Not just because he's a great friend, but he's a true blooded Pirate that knows what it is to go to school there and play there.  I'm sure some of the other's that has been mentioned would do a great job, but I'm old school and want to see someone that knows the tradition of the school. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, rebelboy121 said:

Whoever gets this job will have some big shoes to fill.  When Vic got out of coaching the first time South Pitt went down hill quick.  When he took the job back they immediately became contenders again. Proof that Vic was the man for the job.  the other guy was a great coach but could not get it done at the Pitt.  Hope this does not happen with this hire.

I liked Tim a lot when he was hired, but he lost the team and the player's never really gave him a chance. There were I think 18-20 that stuck with the program till the end. You had Mommies and Dads I guess that just didn't get a long with him and that makes thing's hard when your kids hear that at home. He had an uphill battle for sure. 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, rebelboy121 said:

Did he retire the first time because the cupboard was bare??

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, FridayMainEvent said:

They went to the State Title game in 2013 the first year without him, so I'd say the cupboard was pretty full when he left the first time.

The East was really,really down that year also.Even an off year SP still has more talent than most teams.

Edited by orngnblk