TSSAA

802Tomcat

• 8 months later...

I think that whomever is over the TSSAA Officials should be made to attend some of the basketball games each week as a checks and balance. They need to see what the schools are having to pay for. It is embarrassing. I am an old man and have been attending ball games for many years and have never seen a time where officials were this ignorant about a game that they are officiating. I have seen more technical fouls than I have ever seen. Officials making calls that don’t even exist. More parents ejected from the ball games for less reasons. 

On 12/1/2021 at 1:18 AM, basecoach said:

I think that whomever is over the TSSAA Officials should be made to attend some of the basketball games each week as a checks and balance. They need to see what the schools are having to pay for. It is embarrassing. I am an old man and have been attending ball games for many years and have never seen a time where officials were this ignorant about a game that they are officiating. I have seen more technical fouls than I have ever seen. Officials making calls that don’t even exist. More parents ejected from the ball games for less reasons. 

There are several reasons for what is happening with officials and high school athletics:

1.  Due to many factors it's difficult to find high school officials in every sport

2.  Officials have been informed not to take anything from the players, coaches or spectators.  They basically want the kids to play and never say anything, they want for the coaches to stay seated and for the spectators to not even open their mouth.  This group of officials have rabbit ears and will quit officiating if everyone gets on them like they did 30+ years ago.  The TSSAA needs officials so they are going to enforce every rule to the letter of the law

3.  Again 30+ years ago most of the officials had played some college ball and had a great understanding of the game.  Those same officials were professional people (businessmen, policeman, fireman, physicians, attorneys, judges, etc...) that had a lot of respect withing the communities where they were officiating.  

I agree with you 100%. The officiating 30 years ago made the game a whole lot more enjoyable to watch and we had far less trouble. I wish there was a sight that you could post some videos that today’s official were making calls on, it would embarrass TSSAA to where they would have to give some training to some of these officials. I am lucky enough to have a huddle account and can go back watch a lot of the games and it is very disheartening. 30 years ago it was an advantage to be big young man playing basketball in today’s game it makes you an easy target. If they are so short handed why not go to 2 decent officials instead of having a third one that doesn’t have a clue and wants to be seen

On 12/3/2021 at 11:29 PM, basecoach said:

I agree with you 100%. The officiating 30 years ago made the game a whole lot more enjoyable to watch and we had far less trouble. I wish there was a sight that you could post some videos that today’s official were making calls on, it would embarrass TSSAA to where they would have to give some training to some of these officials. I am lucky enough to have a huddle account and can go back watch a lot of the games and it is very disheartening. 30 years ago it was an advantage to be big young man playing basketball in today’s game it makes you an easy target. If they are so short handed why not go to 2 decent officials instead of having a third one that doesn’t have a clue and wants to be seen

They do provide training for them but the sad truth is very few people want to officiate anymore because of the crap they have to put up with from everyone.  You can only work with those who are willing to do the job. If only some of these Al Bundy high school heroes would come back and officiate maybe it would be better.

1 hour ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

They do provide training for them but the sad truth is very few people want to officiate anymore because of the crap they have to put up with from everyone.  You can only work with those who are willing to do the job. If only some of these Al Bundy high school heroes would come back and officiate maybe it would be better.

Double edged sword. They take more crap for two reasons...people aren't as respectful of others as they used to be, and feel more entitled to voice their opinion. The same call in the same situation years ago that would maybe draw some grumbling or signaling of an infraction from the crowd now has folks on their feet yelling insults or cursing, including the kids on the floor. Society has cultivated the acceptance of behavior nowadays that was deemed embarrassing a generation ago, especially when protesting an unfavorable situation, fair or not.

From the officials, you have the "it's right because I said so" attitude that comes with the thin skinned and "in charge" persona. The officials also know that there's a shortage of people willing to be subjected to the behavior of those in the top column, including the competent ones. The worst of the lot is the showboat official that likes nothing better than to take charge of the game, and be remembered for it...that's the one who T's up players, coaches, and fans who "upstage or embarrass" them by not silently (coaches and fans) and emotionlessly (players) accepting their judgement.

On 12/1/2021 at 1:18 AM, basecoach said:

They do have supervisors that attend games. One problem for the lack of good officials is that TSSAA is one of the lowest paying far as states go for officials. Two the Barney Fifes and the GA's don't do their job in crowd control so you lose officials because they don't want to deal with the problems with fans that spill over after games and we live in a crazy world.  A lot of fans dont know the game either and that can cause the heat to rise. Some parents just think their little Johnny doesn't do anything wrong when their out there and their child has a terrible attitude on the court. 

Now I agree with you that it is an embarrassment when attending games and seeing calls made that are trifling. The game has past most of these guys who are calling now or some that are calling never even played upward ball. I seen euro steps called walked, they put the wrong free throw shooter on the line, mishandling of rules, etc etc. The handling of subs is egregious not being at the X at said time when you might not know who the foul is on and the coach running a guy to the table to get play A out but cant is just bad. There is several whom because they have stripes and a whistle think they are above all and you cant tell them anything. Coaches ave gotten more techs in recent years than I can recall and these same officials belittle Asst. Coaches when they ask questions. 

Go across the state line to Alabama and the game is called totally different it has more of a college feel its fun to watch none of them tick tacky hand checks calls TSSAA could take notes from how they run things and several of their officials actually call at the next level. A change of pay and actual training will help change a lot of the problems that we are seeing.