TSSAA

802Tomcat

10 hours ago, tradertwo said:

Double edged sword. They take more crap for two reasons...people aren't as respectful of others as they used to be, and feel more entitled to voice their opinion. The same call in the same situation years ago that would maybe draw some grumbling or signaling of an infraction from the crowd now has folks on their feet yelling insults or cursing, including the kids on the floor. Society has cultivated the acceptance of behavior nowadays that was deemed embarrassing a generation ago, especially when protesting an unfavorable situation, fair or not.

From the officials, you have the "it's right because I said so" attitude that comes with the thin skinned and "in charge" persona. The officials also know that there's a shortage of people willing to be subjected to the behavior of those in the top column, including the competent ones. The worst of the lot is the showboat official that likes nothing better than to take charge of the game, and be remembered for it...that's the one who T's up players, coaches, and fans who "upstage or embarrass" them by not silently (coaches and fans) and emotionlessly (players) accepting their judgement.

Great post. It is tough to be an official. Especially when Coaches allow players to act some kind of way. I get a coach getting after an official but the coach can't allow players to get after officials. The officials have to understand that the coach and official relationship has been and should be a part of the game. Officials should not avoid having a conversation with the coach and if they do that the coach, 9 times out of 10 will be yelling across the court. The officials who don't talk to coaches are the ones that T a coach up for yelling at him. Obviously there are times when an officials needs to stick a coach with a T. Again, this is a long standing tradition in basketball. I love to watch a coach work the officials and hate to watch players disrespect an official with body language or their mouth. 

Another art that has changed the way officials call a basketball game is the flop. Players will fall to the ground with no one touching them after shooting a 3 pointer and they will fly across the floor when a post player spins to go to hoop. Officials are making a call that they did not actually see just what they thought occurred because a player is on the ground. Am I mistaken or is a flop supposed to be a technical foul because I have never seen it called. I have spoke to a lot of officials lately and each one has told me that the shortage of officials is not because of the fans or coaches or players but more because of the higher ups in TSSAA.