PA Cuts Field

cbg

This year high school wrestling hot bead PA has reduced the AAA state tournament bracket to 20 individuals and the AA bracket to 12 individuals.  Even with the reduction in numbers Pennsylvania will still have 32 nationally ranked wrestlers competing in the state tournament.  In Tennessee we had people crying about 3 divisions with the following brackets:  AAA 16, A/AA 8 & D2 8.  There is no way that Tennessee should ever have more than one division and at most a 32 man bracket which truly should probably be a 16 man bracket.  

• Thanks 1

You're comparing apples to oranges.

Pennsylvania has about 9500 high school wrestlers at 475 schools.
Tennessee has about 3900 high school wrestlers at 188 schools.
PA has a rich tradition and passion for wrestling.... and tons of history.  TN has none of that.

With that logic, why don't we just have 6 man brackets?  Maybe a 4 man bracket would be about the right size?

Of course, that makes no sense.  In my opinion, I think we need more TN kids making it to state...not less.  Focusing on only the best kids may appeal to the wrestling purist, but it doesn't grow the number of participants.

TN needs more participants for sure.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

10 hours ago, mat73557 said:

You're comparing apples to oranges.

Pennsylvania has about 9500 high school wrestlers at 475 schools.
Tennessee has about 3900 high school wrestlers at 188 schools.
PA has a rich tradition and passion for wrestling.... and tons of history.  TN has none of that.

With that logic, why don't we just have 6 man brackets?  Maybe a 4 man bracket would be about the right size?

Of course, that makes no sense.  In my opinion, I think we need more TN kids making it to state...not less.  Focusing on only the best kids may appeal to the wrestling purist, but it doesn't grow the number of participants.

TN needs more participants for sure.  

The cream always rises to the top!  Let's stop watering down everything for these kids and raise the expectations.  In all sports Tennessee has done nothing more than adopt the YMCA method of giving everyone a trophy.  Look at the numbers that you provided (PA 9500 wrestlers 2 divisions & TN 3900 wrestlers and 3 divisions)

49 minutes ago, mat73557 said:

6bWVRDd.jpg

It looks like there is a lot of difference between PA and TN.  As I mentioned, it is apples and oranges. 

I still don't believe that having less kids at the state tournament will help TN catch up.

Surely you don’t think changing the state tournament is going to help Tn catch up to pa LOL until kids are being coached by the right coaches and kids are doing the equal amount of work from a young age we will not catch up! But we have kids in Tn that can and have beat some of the best from anywhere and are putting in the correct work ! Everyone wonts something but too stubborn or lazy to do it

1 hour ago, mat73557 said:

6bWVRDd.jpg

It looks like there is a lot of difference between PA and TN.  As I mentioned, it is apples and oranges. 

I still don't believe that having less kids at the state tournament will help TN catch up.

I agree we need to get rid of the three classes but our kids need to be able to travel outside of the state and compete at big tournaments. If we want to be able to keep up with some of these states we need to be able to compete with them during the season as well.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, WrestlingGod said:

I agree we need to get rid of the three classes but our kids need to be able to travel outside of the state and compete at big tournaments. If we want to be able to keep up with some of these states we need to be able to compete with them during the season as well.

What does limiting the number of kids who compete at state do to grow wrestling in TN or close the gap with traditional wrestling locales like PA and NJ?

30 minutes ago, mat73557 said:

What does limiting the number of kids who compete at state do to grow wrestling in TN or close the gap with traditional wrestling locales like PA and NJ?

It doesn't do anything, nor does having 23 divisions and everybody qualify. In order to compete with these teams we have to see them. And TSSAA doesn't allow it. They should be able to travel to these in season national tournaments to wrestle these other kids. That's how we'll get better and more recognition as a state.

Getting rid of the three divisions is just my personal opinion.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, WrestlingGod said:

It doesn't do anything, nor does having 23 divisions and everybody qualify. In order to compete with these teams we have to see them. And TSSAA doesn't allow it. They should be able to travel to these in season national tournaments to wrestle these other kids. That's how we'll get better and more recognition as a state.

What is it exactly that the TSSAA will not allow?

1 hour ago, WrestlingGod said:

The TSSAA changed the restrictions on travel 2 years ago. Teams are now allowed to travel to any tournaments anywhere as much as they like.  
Covid screwed everything this year but there were a couple of TN that got into Ironman this year, several that were going to Beast, Two that went to knockout this year and two others that were signed up but had to cancel at the last minute due to covid. I believe Lakeway was going to Powerade and of course several teams were going back to KC stampede and Cheesehead.  Plus, all the privates would have gone to National Prep. Look at Cleveland, Greenville, Baylor, Lakeway, Christian Brothers, MCCALLIE all to do extensive traveling next year. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, durdon said:

The TSSAA changed the restrictions on travel 2 years ago. Teams are now allowed to travel to any tournaments anywhere as much as they like.  
Covid screwed everything this year but there were a couple of TN that got into Ironman this year, several that were going to Beast, Two that went to knockout this year and two others that were signed up but had to cancel at the last minute due to covid. I believe Lakeway was going to Powerade and of course several teams were going back to KC stampede and Cheesehead.  Plus, all the privates would have gone to National Prep. Look at Cleveland, Greenville, Baylor, Lakeway, Christian Brothers, MCCALLIE all to do extensive traveling next year. 

I wasn't aware of the rule change. Thank you. Now lets get more of our kids to these tourneys lol.

4 minutes ago, WrestlingGod said:

I wasn't aware of the rule change. Thank you. Now lets get more of our kids to these tourneys lol.

Well this was going to be the year of big traveling but dang Covid.. 

I for one don’t think we need to get rid of the 3 divisions.  I think for Team Duals it works very well.  For the individual, I think that there is something to be said for winning your division and those kids want to wrestle the kids from the schools they compete with in team duals.  

But my suggestion would be to hold the normal 32 Man Big school, 16 Man Small school and 8 man private school tournament but to call it the division Championships instead of States.  Then the next weekend take the 6 medalist from all 3 divisions and hold another 2 day tournament and call it the State Tournament.  This was someone could be the Small School Champion and then finish 2nd at State.  I don’t see why the TSSAA doesn’t do this because it would be another money making weekend for them and would probably double the revenue they make off Wrestling.  

it sure would have been fun this year if we can come back the next weekend and held a combined states.   Of course, it would have really changed what weights a lot of the kids went for their Division championships.  With Chittum at 45 that would have vacated 45 in the other 2 divisions I would have guessed and that would have had a snowball effect on 38,32,and probably 26. 

• Upvote 1