PA Cuts Field

cbg

Next year there will be 75 teams in big school and small school. There will be 8 regions in individuals in both AA and AAA and there will be 16 districts inside AAA, two districts each region.

It seems to make sense for AAA to have Districts, then regions, then super regions(1v2, 3v4, 5v6, etc) where top 4 from from each super region advances to state. If you want a 32 man, eliminate the super regions and take top 4 from each region.

For AA you have regions with top 4 going to super regions (1v2,3v4,5v6,7v8) with an 8 man bracket, top 4 from each super region goes to 16 man state bracket. 

The super regions act like the 32 man round of the state but held at different locations. 

This model is actually how PA does it. Districts, regions, super regions, state. Except their state bracket is only 8 guys, 4 from East Suoer region and 4 from West Super region. 

Edited by Biffmar4
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Biffmar4 said:

Next year there will be 75 teams in big school and small school. There will be 8 regions in individuals in both AA and AAA and there will be 16 districts inside AAA, two districts each region.

It seems to make sense for AAA to have Districts, then regions, then super regions(1v2, 3v4, 5v6, etc) where top 4 from from each super region advances to state. If you want a 32 man, eliminate the super regions and take top 4 from each region.

For AA you have regions with top 4 going to super regions (1v2,3v4,5v6,7v8) with an 8 man bracket, top 4 from each super region goes to 16 man state bracket. 

This model is actually how PA does it. Districts, regions, super regions, state. Except their state bracket is only 8 guys, 4 from East Suoer region and 4 from West Super region. 

In the past Pennsylvania has used a 20 man bracket at the state tournament 

On 3/10/2021 at 4:50 PM, durdon said:

Well this was going to be the year of big traveling but dang Covid.. 

I for one don’t think we need to get rid of the 3 divisions.  I think for Team Duals it works very well.  For the individual, I think that there is something to be said for winning your division and those kids want to wrestle the kids from the schools they compete with in team duals.  

But my suggestion would be to hold the normal 32 Man Big school, 16 Man Small school and 8 man private school tournament but to call it the division Championships instead of States.  Then the next weekend take the 6 medalist from all 3 divisions and hold another 2 day tournament and call it the State Tournament.  This was someone could be the Small School Champion and then finish 2nd at State.  I don’t see why the TSSAA doesn’t do this because it would be another money making weekend for them and would probably double the revenue they make off Wrestling.  

it sure would have been fun this year if we can come back the next weekend and held a combined states.   Of course, it would have really changed what weights a lot of the kids went for their Division championships.  With Chittum at 45 that would have vacated 45 in the other 2 divisions I would have guessed and that would have had a snowball effect on 38,32,and probably 26. 

Amen!!

And yesterday, the Board of Control cut the field for the large school tournament to 16, adding a sectional round (what other states would call a super-regional). Small stays at 16, girls expand to 16, no decision yet on D2. This makes me wonder if they're planning to cut the event to two days...

Like I said before, less kids in the state tournament makes no sense at all.  

With this vote, the TSSAA also increased their revenue stream because now all our kids have to wrestle an extra tournament before state. So many things wrong with that.

The region pairings thing is not good for wrestling.  For example, Region 3 (Chattanooga) will be paired up with Region 4 (Murfreesboro area).  Large schools in our region who struggle to get state qualifiers today might as well forget about going to state.  At least rotate the pairings yearly so there can be some equity.

I wonder if the TSSAA consulted with wrestling coaches when they decided all this?  I heard this part of the meeting only took about 5 minutes.  So may members of the TSSAA Board of Control do not even have wrestling at their schools?  I don't feel like they represent wrestling at all.

And dont get me started on the fact that the state duals will stay at 8 teams.....

</endrant>

Edited by mat73557

8 hours ago, mat73557 said:

Like I said before, less kids in the state tournament makes no sense at all.  

With this vote, the TSSAA also increased their revenue stream because now all our kids have to wrestle an extra tournament before state. So many things wrong with that.

The region pairings thing is not good for wrestling.  For example, Region 3 (Chattanooga) will be paired up with Region 4 (Murfreesboro area).  Large schools in our region who struggle to get state qualifiers today might as well forget about going to state.  At least rotate the pairings yearly so there can be some equity.

I wonder if the TSSAA consulted with wrestling coaches when they decided all this?  I heard this part of the meeting only took about 5 minutes.  So may members of the TSSAA Board of Control do not even have wrestling at their schools?  I don't feel like they represent wrestling at all.

And dont get me started on the fact that the state duals will stay at 8 teams.....

</endrant>

Do you think they may be doing this because they anticipate the covid excuse could be around for the next few seasons? 
A question one might ask is, will all other sports be effected in the same manner? 

3 hours ago, Hamblin said:

Do you think they may be doing this because they anticipate the covid excuse could be around for the next few seasons? 
A question one might ask is, will all other sports be effected in the same manner? 

What do people not understand about the fact that the TSSAA is only concerned about MONEY!  They would make the cut to 8 man brackets if the results would be more revenue for the TSSAA.  However, let's be honest and say that the only way a 32 man bracket should be used for the state wrestling tournament is if Tennessee only had one division.  There are simply not enough participation numbers to justify one 32 man bracket and two 8 man brackets.  The population base in the State of Tennessee is only 6.80 million (3 divisions)  where Pennsylvania has a population base of 12.83 and 2 (divisions).  Even in Ohio where they have 3 divisions the population base is 12.65 million.  Having everyone divided into 3 divisions does not make sense from a competitive point of view or financially.    On another note I am not convinced that the TSSAA was in a great financial situation pre COVID-19 and I feel confident that they are hurting now.   

Edited by cbg
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, cbg said:

What do people not understand about the fact that the TSSAA is only concerned about MONEY!  They would make the cut to 8 man brackets if the results would be more revenue for the TSSAA.  However, let's be honest and say that the only way a 32 man bracket should be used for the state wrestling tournament is if Tennessee only had one division.  There are simply not enough participation numbers to justify one 32 man bracket and two 8 man brackets.  The population base in the State of Tennessee is only 6.80 million (3 divisions)  where Pennsylvania has a population base of 12.83 and 2 (divisions).  Even in Ohio where they have 3 divisions the population base is 12.65 million.  Having everyone divided into 3 divisions does not make sense from a competitive point of view or financially.    On another note I am not convinced that the TSSAA was in a great financial situation pre COVID-19 and I feel confident that they are hurting now.   

I totally believe that the main reason for the change was financial.  I still think the concerns should be discussed with wrestling people/coaches and not voted on by a board in which 75% of its members do not have wrestling at their schools.  There was nothing in this decision that helps wrestling.

As for the 32 man bracket argument, you and I know that we disagree here.  I am a believer that if you grow the number of competitors, the quality of wrestling will go up.  Not many people can argue the fact that even the best kids from TN must travel elsewhere to get into the right kind of practice room that is tough to come by in Tennessee. 

Look at Georgia instead of Pennsylvania.  Why is Georgia doing so well?  They have SEVEN divisions.  All 32 man brackets.  98 State Champions this year in GA.  If we want to follow anyone's lead right now, it should be GA.   

15 minutes ago, mat73557 said:

I totally believe that the main reason for the change was financial.  I still think the concerns should be discussed with wrestling people/coaches and not voted on by a board in which 75% of its members do not have wrestling at their schools.  There was nothing in this decision that helps wrestling.

As for the 32 man bracket argument, you and I know that we disagree here.  I am a believer that if you grow the number of competitors, the quality of wrestling will go up.  Not many people can argue the fact that even the best kids from TN must travel elsewhere to get into the right kind of practice room that is tough to come by in Tennessee. 

Look at Georgia instead of Pennsylvania.  Why is Georgia doing so well?  They have SEVEN divisions.  All 32 man brackets.  98 State Champions this year in GA.  If we want to follow anyone's lead right now, it should be GA.   

The population base for Georgia is now 12,800,000. My desire for fewer divisions is that iron sharpens iron.  Watering down the competition does not benefit the wrestlers just like when they made the ACT easier it does not benefit the students.  Throw everyone in together and the cream will rise to the top.

• Upvote 1

Iron sharpening iron does not grow wrestling.  Otherwise, Chattanooga would have way more participants than they do.  Chattanooga has fantastic wrestlers, but their numbers are not really growing at all.  Growing wrestling MUST be a focus.  

As a percentage of the population, TN has far fewer schools with wrestling than GA or PA.  (PA and GA are actually on par with one another)

If we want to get better, more schools need to start wrestling programs.  Why work hard to start a program if your kids are never going to make it to state?

Edited by mat73557
  • Upvote 2