PA Cuts Field

cbg

On 3/18/2021 at 4:28 PM, mat73557 said:

Iron sharpening iron does not grow wrestling.  Otherwise, Chattanooga would have way more participants than they do.  Chattanooga has fantastic wrestlers, but their numbers are not really growing at all.  Growing wrestling MUST be a focus.  

As a percentage of the population, TN has far fewer schools with wrestling than GA or PA.  (PA and GA are actually on par with one another)

If we want to get better, more schools need to start wrestling programs.  Why work hard to start a program if your kids are never going to make it to state?

I fully understand what you are saying but I fundamentally cannot agree with your thought process.  I am from the generation that in an individual sport school size does not make any difference and to be the best you must beat the best.  Is it a really a major accomplishment if someone is able to say that they are in the Top 32 out of a possible 75 individuals in their weight classification?  That is really saying that someone is in the Top 42.6666 percent of their weight classification.  I know that I sure hope that all of my employees are much better than the TOP 42.666% in their field and if they are not I need to replace them immediately.  Now if you are saying that by getting individual wrestlers to the state tournament  will keep the heat off of coaches because a large  portion of the administrators don't run the numbers or have a clue about wrestling I understand and agree.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, cbg said:

I fully understand what you are saying but I fundamentally cannot agree with your thought process.  I am from the generation that in an individual sport school size does not make any difference and to be the best you must beat the best.  Is it a really a major accomplishment if someone is able to say that they are in the Top 32 out of a possible 75 individuals in their weight classification?  That is really saying that someone is in the Top 42.6666 percent of their weight classification.  I know that I sure hope that all of my employees are much better than the TOP 42.666% in their field and if they are not I need to replace them immediately.  Now if you are saying that by getting individual wrestlers to the state tournament  will keep the heat off of coaches because a large  portion of the administrators don't run the numbers or have a clue about wrestling I understand and agree.  

I’m curious and I’m not trying to start a fight. Does this same logic apply to collegiate wrestling? Should they do away with D2, D3, NAIA, JUCO and club wrestling so that D1 isn’t watered down?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hamblin said:

I’m curious and I’m not trying to start a fight. Does this same logic apply to collegiate wrestling? Should they do away with D2, D3, NAIA, JUCO and club wrestling so that D1 isn’t watered down?

In the past the NCAA allowed NAIA, D2 and D3 wrestlers to compete in the NCAA D1 tournament. Gray Simons was a 4X NAIA national champion @ Lock Haven and a 3X NCAA national champion.  It was the D1 schools that did not want to compete against the schools from the lower divisions.  Cal State Bakersfield was a D2 school that did very well on the national stage back in the 70’s and 80’s.