LARRY LEGEND MACON COUNTY

UCSportsFan

58 minutes ago, Khall555 said:

FYI: Westmoreland was a top 10 team that year but had to go through Nashville officials to advance and have to be favorites in the new AA especially in that new district. 

Macon had several key players injured that game (3rd of the season BTW) and proceeded to rout everyone else. You don’t go through 8AA undefeated and not be very very good. Even the close game at Upperman that Macon won by 7 was not really that close Macon lead by 20 something most of that game. Upperman was the #2 team in AA last year and lost to Westmoreland and 4 times to Macon. The reason some people think Macon was better than Greenfield was depth. 3 starters on this year’s team rarely played last year (1 had quit basketball, 1 was a transfer that took a while to get used to the style of play, and the other was the little sister of a starter that didn’t see much time). That depth was a weapon that White used. Macon relentlessly pressed all night without concern of tiring players or foul issues. Plus it allowed Gregory a lot of open shots. Most of her 3’s this season were very long range (25 ft plus) because teams wouldn’t allow her any opportunity to shoot within the 20 ft range. With Keely Carter teams had to give her open space to operate or just let Carter light them up. Would Greenfield have been able to handle that for an entire game? Like I said it would have been a fun game to watch.

good post.  I agree.  Greenfield wasn't as deep on the bench.  I feel the difference was 1.) the quality of the starting lineup was stronger at the top and at the bottom for Greenfield and 2.) Greenfield lived by the press.  they pressed 4 qtrs.  they didn't tire, therefore, I don't feel they would need to dip into the bench much if they were tested (which they were against a very good Loretto team).

would've loved to have seen this game too.

41 minutes ago, mas1821 said:

good post.  I agree.  Greenfield wasn't as deep on the bench.  I feel the difference was 1.) the quality of the starting lineup was stronger at the top and at the bottom for Greenfield and 2.) Greenfield lived by the press.  they pressed 4 qtrs.  they didn't tire, therefore, I don't feel they would need to dip into the bench much if they were tested (which they were against a very good Loretto team).

would've loved to have seen this game too.

We played them in the Region Finals last year and we had a player that got hurt at state in 2019 and she hurt her knee in 2020 that both teams agreed to let her start and we swapped buckets to start the game. Greenfield made the last bucket so we started game in a press and got behind 10 the first 3 minutes of the game. We cut it to 6 late in the 3rd but was back to 10 after 3. They went into a 4 corner to start the forth and they won by 18 but we played them head up for 3 quarters. Loretto was also a problem matchup for them because Karly and the tall Loretto girls could throw over the top of that press like they did in 2019 and the game in 2020. They were a great team no doubt but I am not certain they win the Gold Ball in 2020. Vegas favorites yes, but not a guarantee. Macon County and Greenfield would have been a great matchup I agree. Macon was loaded too and were really good this year. Larry White utilized his talent to perfection and was super fundamental. They worked the ball as crisp and fast as any team I seen up there this year. The five he had in the lineup were full of energy late in games as well.

Edited by pioneer42
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pioneer42 said:

We played them in the Region Finals last year and we had a player that got hurt at state in 2019 and she hurt her knee in 2020 that both teams agreed to let her start and we swapped buckets to start the game. Greenfield made the last bucket so we started game in a press and got behind 10 the first 3 minutes of the game. We cut it to 6 late in the 3rd but was back to 10 after 3. They went into a 4 corner to start the forth and they won by 18 but we played them head up for 3 quarters. Loretto was also a problem matchup for them because Karly and the tall Loretto girls could throw over the top of that press like they did in 2019 and the game in 2020. They were a great team no doubt but I am not certain they win the Gold Ball in 2020. Vegas favorites yes, but not a guarantee. Macon County and Greenfield would have been a great matchup I agree. Macon was loaded too and were really good this year. Larry White utilized his talent to perfection and was super fundamental. They worked the ball as crisp and fast as any team I seen up there this year. The five he had in the lineup were full of energy late in games as well.

Gibson Co is one team year in and year out that is usually unaffected by 4 qtrs of pressure and brings pretty stellar pressure themselves!

4 minutes ago, mas1821 said:

Gibson Co is one team year in and year out that is usually unaffected by 4 qtrs of pressure and brings pretty stellar pressure themselves!

I honestly believe we will see a lot of defense in AA next year just listening to this thread about York and Westmoreland along with the group I mentioned it is going to be hard to score. I think you will see the Summertown Clarkrange types of games as the norm in tournaments and in state. 

4 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

I honestly believe we will see a lot of defense in AA next year just listening to this thread about York and Westmoreland along with the group I mentioned it is going to be hard to score. I think you will see the Summertown Clarkrange types of games as the norm in tournaments and in state. 

Westmoreland lacks an “it” player that they need to get over the hump to win it all. They can do some damage though as they can defend and stall a game and limit possessions. Given their district and region is not too difficult they can certainly get to the Murphy Center next year now that they can avoid going through Nashville. 

On 3/13/2021 at 3:55 PM, UCSportsFan said:

What a fitting end to a tough 2 seasons for Coach White. He had the BEST team in the state last year in all classifications would have won state last year without question, loses 3 starters, comes back and wins a state championship when his team wasn’t even picked to win his own district. Don’t tell me coaching doesn’t matter!!  Congratulations to Coach White and the Tigerettes of Macon County!  

Have had the pleasure of meeting Coach White a few times, years ago. Stand up guy and great coach! Couldn't be happier they've had this success.

10 hours ago, SportsWestTN said:

Have had the pleasure of meeting Coach White a few times, years ago. Stand up guy and great coach! Couldn't be happier they've had this success.

I met him at the hotel a couple of weeks ago and E-Mailed him last summer a couple of times. Really nice guy. He deserved a Gold Ball. Outstanding coach.