Never too early....Who wins Class AA 2021-22

mas1821

6 minutes ago, mas1821 said:

I know the State Tourney just ended last week, but lets go ahead and get this started.

With all of the realignment with the reclassificaton, who do you feel are region/substate/state favorites for next year and why?

I would say Loretto, Summertown, Gibson County, Westview, Meigs County, South Green and McMinn Central and I may be missing some teams not intentional but these teams traditionally are in the mix. Will say Loretto will be strong even losing Kinsey Weathers and Tidwell. Summertown takes a bigger hit losing Jones, Campbell, Brasier, Long and I think another in the rotation but they will be tough with younger Campbell, Burlson and Burdette as a core group. Westview will be losing the Lehue twins and Gordon I believe but has a good Jr High group and always reloads as they will have Harrison and the post back. Gibson County is losing no one. They always seem to get better and develop talent so I expect them to be tough. Defensively they will be lights out but will have to handle ball pressure better and be better in the half court. Gibson County, Westview, Summertown and Loretto whoever the two are that comes out of that pack will be tough in the Boro. Do think Summertown has more to rebuild than the other three. Right now Loretto would be the team to beat because they are the champs and have a great core and some help coming. They say McMinn Central has a good young squad. I would have Loretto number 1 and Gibson County, Westview, McMinn Central and Summertown in the mix in no particular order.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

I would say Loretto, Summertown, Gibson County, Westview, Meigs County, South Green and McMinn Central and I may be missing some teams not intentional but these teams traditionally are in the mix. Will say Loretto will be strong even losing Kinsey Weathers and Tidwell. Summertown takes a bigger hit losing Jones, Campbell, Brasier, Long and I think another in the rotation but they will be tough with younger Campbell, Burlson and Burdette as a core group. Westview will be losing the Lehue twins and Gordon I believe but has a good Jr High group and always reloads as they will have Harrison and the post back. Gibson County is losing no one. They always seem to get better and develop talent so I expect them to be tough. Defensively they will be lights out but will have to handle ball pressure better and be better in the half court. Gibson County, Westview, Summertown and Loretto whoever the two are that comes out of that pack will be tough in the Boro. Do think Summertown has more to rebuild than the other three. Right now Loretto would be the team to beat because they are the champs and have a great core and some help coming. They say McMinn Central has a good young squad. I would have Loretto number 1 and Gibson County, Westview, McMinn Central and Summertown in the mix in no particular order.

I expect Gibson County to be much better next year (which is scary due to how good y'all were this year).  It honestly wouldn't surprise me if the younger Hart starts to become more of a factor than her sister (which is saying a lot).  Two star players is a great problem to have.

At Loretto, I expect Kensey's sister, who was injured all through the latter part of the year, to develop into a great post/overall player.  I also expect Fisher to see an uptick in ability and confidence with another year of development.  Buttrum and our Clifton girls should also continue to improve, as they have been doing all year! 

Then....  We have Karly and Ally Weathers getting to share the court for Karly's final year as a Mustang.  How good will Ally be as a Freshman?  I'm sure thats a concern for our district opponents next year as Ally and our Middle School girls also won a State Championship this year!

It's a great time to be from Loretto if you're a sports person!

Westview will still be really good.  With the twins graduating, I hope Haskins ups the tempo and lets Harrison go at people.

Gibson Co will always be good.  They're going to need some improvement from kids not named Hart.  North Greene basically refused to guard a couple of GC's players in that upset win.  

Loretto is probably the favorite.  Karly is special.  Little sister will be an upgrade on their current other guards.  They will be vulnerable inside with Kensey graduating.  Fisher is undersized and Kensey's sister is not Kensey.

Westmoreland should be tough.  I think they return most of their best pieces from a team that beat Macon County this year.

McMinn Central should be good.  They were young and successful this year.

East Nashville has been solid recently.

Summertown graduates a lot of production. Have to think they're a step behind Westview, Gibson, Loretto to make it through that substate grouping.  Burdette will likely be more of a focal point for them offensively.

South Greene is always solid but I think they graduate a good bit this year as well.

Fairview made some strides this year in AA, beating Creek Wood twice in the regular season.

Meigs Co has been really good recently but graduated all five starters and their coach retired.  No idea what they'll look like next year.

Alcoa, Gatlinburg-Pittman and Cheatham County have had some recent success as well.

One thing for sure - there will be two teams at the state tournament that will have no business being there.  Regions 7 and 8 will be awful.

23 minutes ago, mas1821 said:

I expect Gibson County to be much better next year (which is scary due to how good y'all were this year).  It honestly wouldn't surprise me if the younger Hart starts to become more of a factor than her sister (which is saying a lot).  Two star players is a great problem to have.

At Loretto, I expect Kensey's sister, who was injured all through the latter part of the year, to develop into a great post/overall player.  I also expect Fisher to see an uptick in ability and confidence with another year of development.  Buttrum and our Clifton girls should also continue to improve, as they have been doing all year! 

Then....  We have Karly and Ally Weathers getting to share the court for Karly's final year as a Mustang.  How good will Ally be as a Freshman?  I'm sure thats a concern for our district opponents next year as Ally and our Middle School girls also won a State Championship this year!

It's a great time to be from Loretto if you're a sports person!

Micah Hart really had a great year throughout the season especially when teams double and triple teamed her sister. As a freshman and at the state she was steady. Do think GC kinda over excelled during the season beating some really good teams early. There was always a reason I had GC 3-4 range in rankings and it was youth and especially almost no experience in Murfreesboro. GC will play more girls next year similar to what we did in 2019 I predict because they will have another year in the system and will get better. There is always some that will come out of the pile that will get better. Do think Maya Turner, Alley Goad, Haley Thompson, Libby Goad, Sayde Wright, Lexus Kemp and Ellie Walker are players to keep an eye on because they will get better and are good players. 

6 minutes ago, maddams said:

Westview will still be really good.  With the twins graduating, I hope Haskins ups the tempo and lets Harrison go at people.

Gibson Co will always be good.  They're going to need some improvement from kids not named Hart.  North Greene basically refused to guard a couple of GC's players in that upset win.  

Loretto is probably the favorite.  Karly is special.  Little sister will be an upgrade on their current other guards.  They will be vulnerable inside with Kensey graduating.  Fisher is undersized and Kensey's sister is not Kensey.

Westmoreland should be tough.  I think they return most of their best pieces from a team that beat Macon County this year.

Summertown graduates a lot of production. Have to think they're a step behind Westview, Gibson, Loretto to make it through that substate grouping.  Burdette will likely be more of a focal point for them offensively.

South Greene is always solid but I think they graduate a good bit this year as well.

Fairview made some strides this year in AA, beating Creek Wood twice in the regular season.

Meigs Co has been really good recently but graduated all five starters and their coach retired.  No idea what they'll look like next year.

Alcoa, Gatlinburg-Pittman and Cheatham County have had some recent success as well.

One thing for sure - there will be two teams at the state tournament that will have no business being there.  Regions 7 and 8 will be awful.

I'd expect Westview to pick up the tempo a bit next year, at least to try and get more in transition. Westview in the past has been pretty methodical in the half court, even when they are more athletic, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Just would to see them push the pace more than they did this year. Losing the twins will definitely free that up. If the CoachT hype is true about the 8th grade wunderkind, that'll help a lot too. 

Gibson Co.'s best crack at a title will be next year with both Hart's still around. Madison has pretty well peaked at this point, I wouldn't expect a big jump in performance from her. Micah has a very high ceiling. She has showcased, especially late in the year, the type of player she can become, but she has to be more assertive. If Wilkins can get her to unleash her abilities, they could be scary good.

Loretto will be really good again. They won the A title, and bring back their best player, so expectations should be high. Important to remember a few weeks ago, a lot of us weren't sure they'd even make it to the Boro. They got hot at the right time, but weren't juggernauts all season. They'll need to continue to push that supporting cast to help elevate them into that favorite role. 

In a reclassification year, there will probably be a team that comes out of the wood work. Someone that will benefit from a new region landscape and will make a leap with the talent they do have. COVID made it so we didn't see much out of metro Memphis or Nashville. Wouldn't be surprised if a team or two from each city produces a serious contender. 

6 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

Micah Hart really had a great year throughout the season especially when teams double and triple teamed her sister. As a freshman and at the state she was steady. Do think GC kinda over excelled during the season beating some really good teams early. There was always a reason I had GC 3-4 range in rankings and it was youth and especially almost no experience in Murfreesboro. GC will play more girls next year similar to what we did in 2019 I predict because they will have another year in the system and will get better. There is always some that will come out of the pile that will get better. Do think Maya Turner, Alley Goad, Haley Thompson, Libby Goad, Sayde Wright, Lexus Kemp and Ellie Walker are players to keep an eye on because they will get better and are good players. 

Definitely a key for GC will be improving that supporting cast. You could see some flashes from some of the girls you mentioned throughout the season, but there were also a number of issues when they were in the game. A lot of mistakes that can be attributed to youth (turnovers, travels, bad decision making). That will improve with time, but as I mentioned in my previous post, I think next year will be their best crack at the title for a while. If those girls can improve, they'll get lots of opportunities to shine with how much defenses will have to sell out to guard the Harts. 

6 minutes ago, SportsWestTN said:

Definitely a key for GC will be improving that supporting cast. You could see some flashes from some of the girls you mentioned throughout the season, but there were also a number of issues when they were in the game. A lot of mistakes that can be attributed to youth (turnovers, travels, bad decision making). That will improve with time, but as I mentioned in my previous post, I think next year will be their best crack at the title for a while. If those girls can improve, they'll get lots of opportunities to shine with how much defenses will have to sell out to guard the Harts. 

I do think they will get better from outside in three point land. GC will improve in that category and won’t go 2-20 from the outside. Madison can play outside as well if they want to challenge our outside game. And Wilkins will make adjustments and make teams pay for double teaming and triple teaming Madison and not guarding a player. GC will also have the pleasure of playing Westview likely 3 times before Region next year and get used to the slow pace and the 2-3 zone. Westview has played this pace for years. I don’t expect a change. 

55 minutes ago, maddams said:

I forgot about Westmoreland and East Nashville. Not intentional and your right will be in the mix.  Do think Loretto is the number 1 team still and the team to beat. Will be interesting. 

9 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

I forgot about Westmoreland and East Nashville. Not intentional and your right will be in the mix.  Do think Loretto is the number 1 team still and the team to beat. Will be interesting. 

Go ahead and pencil York and Westmoreland into the Sub State. That region is laughably bad. 

1 hour ago, maddams said:

I agree with what you said for the most part.  One thing I think you should take into consideration is the fact Scotts Hill, Riverside, and Adamsville have been playing for four years in a district against Southside, Chester, Lexington, and McNairy.  All of those teams have seen several D1 & DII players on a nightly basis and some tremendous athletic and well-coached teams.  I think that district has made those teams a lot better than the experts think.  Don't be surprised if there isn't a team or two out of Region 7 & 8 that will be hard to put out of the tournament.  

3 hours ago, mas1821 said:

I know the State Tourney just ended last week, but lets go ahead and get this started.

With all of the realignment with the reclassificaton, who do you feel are region/substate/state favorites for next year and why?

Got to tssaa.org 

hit more info

hit classifications 

hit view classifications 

Knew you said in a thread a day or two ago you wanted to look at realignment. Not a computer guru or I would have linked it.