Never too early....Who wins Class AA 2021-22

mas1821

On 12/5/2021 at 7:30 PM, pioneer42 said:

We played Gatlinburg Pittman this summer at MTSU. They have a good team and will be in the title mix late in the year, IMO. 

South Greene lost to a good Gatlinburg Pittman team 65-61. GP plays good defense and has a very good inside game led by #30. I believe her name is Matty Newman? She has a great feel for playing low and scored several easy baskets on layups. She had to leave the game at times on account of foul trouble, which allowed SG to keep the game close.

I'd make an excuse for SG's loss by saying that they were missing one of their best players last night, except the girl who took her place, freshman Madison Hensley, scored some three pointers, including one from half court at the end of the first half that tied the score at 31. 

2 hours ago, Americal198 said:

South Greene lost to a good Gatlinburg Pittman team 65-61. GP plays good defense and has a very good inside game led by #30. I believe her name is Matty Newman? She has a great feel for playing low and scored several easy baskets on layups. She had to leave the game at times on account of foul trouble, which allowed SG to keep the game close.

I'd make an excuse for SG's loss by saying that they were missing one of their best players last night, except the girl who took her place, freshman Madison Hensley, scored some three pointers, including one from half court at the end of the first half that tied the score at 31. 

The post for Gatlinburg Pittman is really good and they have some pretty good guards too. Good team and definitely will be in the mix late. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/4/2021 at 9:13 AM, gogold said:

Loretto looking good,  Karly has gone to another level.  The team around her is humming and Coach Rutledge must be feeling good at this point in the season.  

Little sister outscored big sis tonight.

Karly dropped 22 and Ally dropped 23 in another big win vs Richland.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2021 at 2:13 AM, mas1821 said:

https://fb.watch/9KQe4VXdK2/

There's the Summertown/Wayne Co game.

Got to watch this game, and I was impressed with the defense of both teams.  Summertown with a definite advantage in speed but Wayne County with better size overall.  Campbell for Summertown made several big plays but her on ball defense was the reason the Lady Eagles came away victorious in my opinion.  Burdette didn’t dominate like I expected as Wayne County defended her very well for the most part.  Summertown looks like a team that has a real opportunity for growth throughout and will likely be able to play at multiple tempos and succeed as this game was a slower tempo than I expected but Summertown still able to win on the road.  Wayne County had real trouble offensively and I’m giving credit here to the Lady Eagle defense, but the lack of speed for Wayne County overall may be a problem for the Lady Cats

17 hours ago, mas1821 said:

Little sister outscored big sis tonight.

Karly dropped 22 and Ally dropped 23 in another big win vs Richland.

18 minutes ago, thetruth1 said:

Got to watch this game, and I was impressed with the defense of both teams.  Summertown with a definite advantage in speed but Wayne County with better size overall.  Campbell for Summertown made several big plays but her on ball defense was the reason the Lady Eagles came away victorious in my opinion.  Burdette didn’t dominate like I expected as Wayne County defended her very well for the most part.  Summertown looks like a team that has a real opportunity for growth throughout and will likely be able to play at multiple tempos and succeed as this game was a slower tempo than I expected but Summertown still able to win on the road.  Wayne County had real trouble offensively and I’m giving credit here to the Lady Eagle defense, but the lack of speed for Wayne County overall may be a problem for the Lady Cats

I got to watch a little last night and I am going to watch the rest tonight. If I am not mistaken the post for Wayne County is a freshman and is very solid. And they have a really good post from what I hear that is scheduled hopefully to be back soon from an injury. The Campbell kid I knew was going to be solid as she came in the state last year as a Freshman and came in aggressive. Very solid player. Summertown will be competitive in every game, IMO. Loretto with another good win last night as they have lots of weapons. I am headed to watch these two play I think it is 27th or 28th of January. Great atmosphere when these two tie up. Summertown I knew would be competitive, but may be more of a challenge to Loretto than expected. I have no idea what Creekwood lost from last year but I noticed they beat them last night. Creekwood was a state tournament team last year and was a great shooting team last year.

1 hour ago, pioneer42 said:

I got to watch a little last night and I am going to watch the rest tonight. If I am not mistaken the post for Wayne County is a freshman and is very solid. And they have a really good post from what I hear that is scheduled hopefully to be back soon from an injury. The Campbell kid I knew was going to be solid as she came in the state last year as a Freshman and came in aggressive. Very solid player. Summertown will be competitive in every game, IMO. Loretto with another good win last night as they have lots of weapons. I am headed to watch these two play I think it is 27th or 28th of January. Great atmosphere when these two tie up. Summertown I knew would be competitive, but may be more of a challenge to Loretto than expected. I have no idea what Creekwood lost from last year but I noticed they beat them last night. Creekwood was a state tournament team last year and was a great shooting team last year.

Campbell is definitely a solid sophomore.  And if Burdette can stay out of foul trouble, they limit turnovers, and Summertown can shoot 37%+ from deep, they definitely have the ability to beat any AA team.

But with that being said, Loretto is forcing a ton of turnovers.  Karly, Ally, Julie & Jenny Clifton, Buttrum (starting 5) are all contributing to this and from what I've seen so far (5 games for Loretto and 6 for Summertown), I doubt Summertown can avoid it.  If these were two random teams, I'd say Summertown is a 15 point dog anytime they play Loretto.  However, they aren't random.  A lot of heart in these games.  A lot of friends playing each other for bragging rights/pride.  With all of that emotion, anything can happen.  If Loretto underestimates Summertown due to what they lost, they can definitely pull the upset.  But I don't see that happening.  In my honest (slightly biased but well educated) opinion, Summertown will do good to keep the games close deep into the 4th period with their rival from the south end of the county.  

1 hour ago, mas1821 said:

Campbell is definitely a solid sophomore.  And if Burdette can stay out of foul trouble, they limit turnovers, and Summertown can shoot 37%+ from deep, they definitely have the ability to beat any AA team.

But with that being said, Loretto is forcing a ton of turnovers.  Karly, Ally, Julie & Jenny Clifton, Buttrum (starting 5) are all contributing to this and from what I've seen so far (5 games for Loretto and 6 for Summertown), I doubt Summertown can avoid it.  If these were two random teams, I'd say Summertown is a 15 point dog anytime they play Loretto.  However, they aren't random.  A lot of heart in these games.  A lot of friends playing each other for bragging rights/pride.  With all of that emotion, anything can happen.  If Loretto underestimates Summertown due to what they lost, they can definitely pull the upset.  But I don't see that happening.  In my honest (slightly biased but well educated) opinion, Summertown will do good to keep the games close deep into the 4th period with their rival from the south end of the county.  

I haven’t gotten the chance to see Loretto play yet, but my goodness the results so far this season are most impressive.  Certainly looking at the results in the early part of the season Loretto would look to be the definite favorite between the two, but basketball is a long season and it all comes down to the tournament as Loretto proved a year ago.  I really do think that Summertown has a lot of room for growth as the season goes along.

4 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

As for Wayne County, the Summertown announcers mentioned that the injured post was back and coming off the bench for now, #25 I think.  They also mentioned the freshman post #12 and that she was a good player as well.  I’m glad they have an outlet like this to be able to watch the games because I think Summertown vs Loretto will be quite interesting even though I expect Loretto to have the advantage 

2 hours ago, thetruth1 said:

I haven’t gotten the chance to see Loretto play yet, but my goodness the results so far this season are most impressive.  Certainly looking at the results in the early part of the season Loretto would look to be the definite favorite between the two, but basketball is a long season and it all comes down to the tournament as Loretto proved a year ago.  I really do think that Summertown has a lot of room for growth as the season goes along.

https://www.facebook.com/xsportsnetworktn/videos/303558738264298/

Here's a video of Loretto playing our other county rival.  Lawrence County is a 4A team.  I expect them to play Summertown close, as they are actually a good team.

4 hours ago, mas1821 said:

1 hour ago, thetruth1 said:

As for Wayne County, the Summertown announcers mentioned that the injured post was back and coming off the bench for now, #25 I think.  They also mentioned the freshman post #12 and that she was a good player as well.  I’m glad they have an outlet like this to be able to watch the games because I think Summertown vs Loretto will be quite interesting even though I expect Loretto to have the advantage 

Loretto is definitely the favorite and will the number 1 team in the polls more than likely and deservingly. But   I have to admit that Summertown is a little ahead of where I thought they would be this early in the season. I am just enjoying the season and thankful to be playing.