Greeneville 2021

KEV-O

1 minute ago, Swipes said:

Don’t be sandbagging us East Tn folk BPM, I see Milan as the favorite.  

Milan beat Pearl Cohn last year and beat South Gibson twice by at least 3 Td’s, who handles Haywood with ease (52-35).  I know you have the athletes, how many starters back from last year?

6 on each side of the ball but we were deep last year (and are this year too) so there are several kids that will be starting this year for the first time but got significant playing time last year. And yes you got me. I was sandbagging but I don’t  want to jinx us. Lol. 

1 hour ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

You know it’s crazy that we were only about 30 kids away from being 2A. I like the move to play up. More region games and closer games with bigger gates. 

That was the exact same reason Greeneville and Betsy played up a classification for years even back in the 3 classification and 5 classification system. (Both would have been 2a and 3a respectively under those classifications but their closest games would have been Knoxville).  We use to have to go through the Big Red Machine when I played :blush:

A lot of Greene Devil faithful weren’t happy that they were playing where they were classified until we made it to our first championship game in the first year staying in the correct classification.  (Hard to say if Greeneville would have more state championships if they did)

Edited by Swipes

39 minutes ago, Swipes said:

That was the exact same reason Greeneville and Betsy played up a classification for years even back in the 3 classification and 5 classification system. (Both would have been 2a and 3a respectively under those classifications but their closest games would have been Knoxville).  We use to have to go through the Big Red Machine when I played :blush:

A lot of Greene Devil faithful weren’t happy that they were playing where they were classified until we made it to our first championship game in the first year staying in the correct classification.  (Hard to say if Greeneville would have more state championships if they did)

Yeah you boys definitely had a tough row to hoe. Made your program tougher and took you to where you are today. 

On 4/27/2021 at 7:06 PM, Swipes said:

In the 3 classification system, I think it would have been  ''pick your poison" if you look back at the brackets and I don't think much of a chance with where the program was at that time.Now in the 5 classification system,there might have been a couple of good chances for the Devils but still a hard road.Yep, I didn't like it until we went to that first championship game. The changes you have wrote about in the weight room and great coaching staffs was a super first step.Being in the right bracket at the right time,hasn't hurt anything either. I would have never thought years ago that the program would be so strong in not just football,but nearly every sport. I can remember when we went a little ways in baseball one year and it was a big deal at the time but we never came close to a state championship. Now,the Big Greene Machine is winning in everything.:thumb:

• 1 month later...

I was looking through the TSSAA State Track  Meet results on Milesplit TN and WOW. I knew Greeneville had some speed, but they may be one of 3 or 4 fastest teams in the state regardless of classification.

it was in the Large school track meet. Next year they will drop back to small school track. All 4 sprinters are back and I think they all play football.

Edited by noonesfool
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, noonesfool said:

I was looking through the TSSAA State Track  Meet results on Milesplit TN and WOW. I knew Greeneville had some speed, but they may be one of 3 or 4 fastest teams in the state regardless of classification.

it was in the Large school track meet. Next year they will drop back to small school track. All 4 sprinters are back and I think they all play football.

You are correct Coach!  They broke a lot of school records this year and all return next year.  The 4x 100 team that placed runner up with a 42.03 all play football. Steven's (WR), Gudger (RB), Price (WR/DB), and Lester (DE/LB). Placed 6 overall as a team in the Large Classification isn't bad for only having 4 kids competing.

3 minutes ago, Swipes said:

You are correct Coach!  They broke a lot of school records this year and all return next year.  The 4x 100 team that placed runner up with a 42.03 all play football. Steven's (WR), Gudger (RB), Price (WR/DB), and Lester (DE/LB). Placed 6 overall as a team in the Large Classification isn't bad for only having 4 kids competing.

Don’t forget Mr. Basketball candidate, Gillespie coming off the State championship basketball team.

Does Mayes play FB?

32 minutes ago, noonesfool said:

Don’t forget Mr. Basketball candidate, Gillespie coming off the State championship basketball team.

Does Mayes play FB?

They return a lot of starters off of last years team!

Mayes started DE for the Devils the last 2 seasons.  He signed with Brevard to play football next season.  I'm sure you know his Dad Mud Turtle really well!

Edited by Swipes

1 hour ago, Swipes said:

They return a lot of starters off of last years team!

Mayes started DE for the Devils the last 2 seasons.  He signed with Brevard to play football next season.  I'm sure you know his Dad Mud Turtle really well!

I coached the Turtle for 2 years on B-team, we were 20-0. Big Dustin was n front of him on varsity.

I called the offense and Buzzy Mann called the D. First year we had him the b-line was soft. Buzzy suggested I run the turtle over our 180 pound right guard rather than the 220 pound tackle. Turtle just ran over our own line getting his start on his many long runs.

Edited by noonesfool
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, noonesfool said:

I coached the Turtle for 2 years on B-team, we were 20-0. Big Dustin was n front of him on varsity.

I called the offense and Buzzy Mann called the D. First year we had him the b-line was soft. Buzzy suggested I run the turtle over our 180 pound right guard rather than the 220 pound tackle. Turtle just ran over our own line getting his start on his many long runs.

Both are arguably the two best RB that have came out of Greeneville!  I could definitely see him running over his own line along with anyone else in his way lol.  He had a great senior season in 91 rushing for over 2,000 yards before running into the eventual state champs in Oak Ridge and their RB Shawn Summers

Edited by Swipes