Lexington High School Coaching Change

WhereYouAt

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2021 at 12:49 PM, BallIsLife1 said:

The coach they have, or had came after Andrew Hicks left for Shelbyville. I am interested to know what happened. They had a decent season

Haven't seen anything official on this. Saw some post about the community being upset that he was let go but other than that haven't seen any reason for the move. You are right, He had a good year this year. 

4 hours ago, WhereYouAt said:

Haven't seen anything official on this. Saw some post about the community being upset that he was let go but other than that haven't seen any reason for the move. You are right, He had a good year this year. 

Haven't heard anything about why, other than some people being unhappy about it. You never know with these type of things: could be something off the court or could just be something political. Nowadays you can never tell. Definitely hadn't performed poorly during his time there, but you never know what standard they were holding him to either. 

Just found this article from a paper called the Lexington Progress. I assume a local paper. Not sure. 

On Friday, March 12, 2021, members of the Henderson County School Board discussed the status of Keith Runyon as head basketball coach of the Lexington High School Tigers basketball team. After discussion, it was determined that the majority of the board at that time had decided it was time to go in a different direction with the program and to make a change with the head coaching position. Keith Runyon, who had been at the helm for the last three years, was informed that he would be relieved of his head coaching duties of the Lexington High School Tigers basketball program.

In speaking with Keith Runyon after he had been informed of the decision that was made, he shared, “I want everyone to know this was strictly a basketball decision. I have done absolutely nothing unethical or immoral and I will continue to teach at Lexington High School. I praise the Good Lord for blessing me with the opportunity to coach this great group of kids. They had a great season finishing 19-8 and made it to a district championship game. I love the kids and pray God continues to bless them and grow them into young men. I sure will miss being their coach.”

The Lexington Progress staff was also able to talk with the Director of Schools for Henderson County. In sharing with us, Steve Wilkinson stated, “Last Friday, the majority of the Henderson County School Board thought the LHS Basketball program needed to head in a different direction and with a fresh start. Keith Runyon was relieved of his basketball coaching duties at that time.”

• 1 month later...
On 4/2/2021 at 8:21 AM, ecu said:

Sounds like someone wasn't getting enough playing time. 

Yup.

But he's a good guy. Goes to church with a relative and is also active there.

He landed on his feet quick. Problem is, he goes from playing South Side twice a year in the old district to playing South Side twice a year in the new district.

South Gibson got a good coach.

We look forward to playing them.

#HawkNation

#HereComesTheCloser

On 5/20/2021 at 9:27 PM, HereComesTheCloser said:

Yup.

But he's a good guy. Goes to church with a relative and is also active there.

He landed on his feet quick. Problem is, he goes from playing South Side twice a year in the old district to playing South Side twice a year in the new district.

South Gibson got a good coach.

We look forward to playing them.

#HawkNation

#HereComesTheCloser

South Side gonna be as good as last year?

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/25/2021 at 8:19 PM, WhereYouAt said:

South Side gonna be as good as last year?

Incoming Fab Frosh class gonna be tough for a few years to come.  Huge haul for Coach Fuller. Not rebuilding, just reloading.

3 returning starters from State R/U team from 20-21.

Quiet chatter about one returning starter being a Mr Basketball finalist.

General consensus is, we'd like a rematch with Greeneville. ;)

#HereComesTheCloser

On 6/9/2021 at 10:43 PM, HereComesTheCloser said:

Incoming Fab Frosh class gonna be tough for a few years to come.  Huge haul for Coach Fuller. Not rebuilding, just reloading.

3 returning starters from State R/U team from 20-21.

Quiet chatter about one returning starter being a Mr Basketball finalist.

General consensus is, we'd like a rematch with Greeneville. ;)

#HereComesTheCloser

Rumor is you are Losing one of the returners.

On 6/12/2021 at 9:41 AM, WhereYouAt said:

Rumor is you are Losing one of the returners.

No truth.

Fab Frosh class already having big impact in camps.

Respectfully, to bring this thread back full circle, we wish the new coach in Lexington huge success. We might see them in Region play.

(this part is satire) We wish the new South Gibson coach moderate success. In other words, we'll pull our starters after 3 quarters.

#HawkNation

#HereComesTheCloser