D1 (A) Way too Early Top 5

cowcatcher

Kinda like ESPN does for college football and basketball in the off season, I thought it might be cool to do the same to start some chatter! Let me know what you think!

Way too early top 5

1. Pigeon Forge—7 returning medalists (including Noah Dyer who placed 4th at 126 in 2020). The reigning state team champs return 3 state champs (Andy Cable [120], Josh Parton [132 in 2020], and Garrett Foreman [152]) and another finalist, Caleb Wolfe (220). It’s gonna be tough for anyone to stop this dynasty Coach Foreman has going.
  2. Greeneville—7 returning medalists led by Mr. Hunter Mason who is ranked in the top 15 in the country right now. Stud Kodiak Cannedy returns as the defending champ at 160, and Leandre Dabney Jr. is back as a state finalist. Leandre will be a favorite to win it if he avoids the Uhorchuck kids. He showed in the finals he has what it takes to pull an upset on one of those kids though. 170 appears wide open so watch out for Morgan Lowery too who took 3rd last year.
  3. Fairview—they don’t return a champ, but return an incredibly solid lineup with 7 medalists back including 3 finalists (Malachi Bennett [160], Kendrick Curtis [182], Jacob Clevenger [285]). Watch out for these guys. They know how to win as they proved that taking home the duals title last year.
  4. Signal Mountain—the guys lose a lot and only return 3 placers, but they still have 2 Uhorchuck kids back and they get another one coming up this year who is supposed to be a stud. A Chatt friend told me they are also getting the Baylor kid Houston Clements as their new coach who really turned the Whitwell program around this year. I bet they’ll be a contender again in a few years.  
  5. Sycamore—4 returning placers including the defending champ at 132 Logan Heckert and Luke London who got 2nd at 138. If London isn’t in Mason’s weight class again, he’ll have a great chance to win it.

Others to watch

• Gibbs—return 3 medalists including 2 finalists (Finstad at 106, Reep at 120). I was impressed watching this program at states this year.
  • Soddy Daisy, Tullahoma, and East Hamilton Chattanooga—all coming down a division. Ulric Winesberg looks to have Soddy trending in the right direction. And I keep hearing that East Hamilton has some good young stud. Do you Chatt folks have any info on these guys? Don’t know much about them.
  • Whitwell—4 returning medalists but losing their coach
  • Hixson—only one returning medalist but I feel like these guys always reload and have a good team.

• Thanks 1

Here is my best guess

Region 1 

Champ: Greenville

Runner-up: Sullivan-East

Region 2

Champ: Gibbs 

Runner-up: Halls

Region 3

Champ: Pigeon Forge

Runner-up: Seymour

Region 4 

Champ: Signal Mtn

Runner-up: East Hamilton

Region 5

Champ: Greenbrier

Runner-up: White House Heritage

Region 6

Champ: Tullahoma

Runner-up: Eagleville

Region 7

Champ: Fairview

Runner-up: Sycamore

Region 8

Champ: Millington

Runner-up: Munford

Sectional R1 & R2 Winners

Greenville

Gibbs

Sectional R3 & R4 Winners

Pigeon Forge

Signal Mtn

Sectional R5 & R6 Winners

Tullahoma

Eagleville

Sectional R7 & R8 Winners

Fairview

Sycamore

Region 1 runner up should be Crockett.  Beat Sullivan East 54-27 last year and only lost one senior.  Crockett was a AAA team this past year.  If not for COVID Crockett would have had five state qualifiers last year instead of two.  Solid group of freshmen coming up as well so the move down should benefit them greatly.

14 hours ago, McNugget said:

Here is my best guess

Region 1 

Region 2

Region 3

Region 4 

Region 5

Region 6

Region 7

Region 8

Greenville

Gibbs

Pigeon Forge

Signal Mtn

Tullahoma

Eagleville

Fairview

Sycamore

Are you suggesting there will be an 8 team bracket at the small school duals next season?

On 3/19/2021 at 7:46 PM, McNugget said:

Here is my best guess

Region 1 

Region 2

Region 3

Region 4 

Region 5

Region 6

Region 7

Region 8

Greenville

Gibbs

Pigeon Forge

Signal Mtn

Tullahoma

Eagleville

Fairview

Sycamore

Good stuff! Looking forward to the additions of Tullahoma, East Hamilton, Soddy Daisy, and Crockett. Of the new comers, who does everyone think's the best?

I would have Knox Halls at least in the top 5 (probably top 3).  They had an early season win over Greenville last year, finished 10th in the traditional state tournament (higher than any other school making the drop), and missed going to state duals by losing to Dobyns Bennett (4th in AAA traditional) in a dual that came down to the very last match. 

6 hours ago, sx1234 said:

I would have Knox Halls at least in the top 5 (probably top 3).  They had an early season win over Greenville last year, finished 10th in the traditional state tournament (higher than any other school making the drop), and missed going to state duals by losing to Dobyns Bennett (4th in AAA traditional) in a dual that came down to the very last match. 

Yes sir, Halls moving down is going to hurt a lot of feelings over the next few years. The A title will run through Regions 2 or 3 for the next few years.

I did miss Crockett. Fairview is the team to beat in my opinion. They lost 1-2 kids off this years team. I think Page is going to be a team to watch. They lost a lot of kids but could knock off Eagleville or Tullahoma. Halls did beat Greenville but the dual meet had 3 total  FF's and Kodiak Cannedy did not wrestle for Greenville. Can Halls knock off Gibbs with a really young team? I'm not saying they can't but Gibbs will be a lot better this year. Signal Mtn, Hixson, Soddy Daisy, East Hamilton in a sectional with Pigeon Forge and Sycamore is going to be tough in Individual and duals

Edited by McNugget