D1 (A) Way too Early Top 5

cowcatcher

7 minutes ago, JSamson7 said:

Tell your friend that as far as I know they're still in the small school division. 

The Greene Devils did not have Canady which is a 12 point swing or the full squad they finished the season with, while the Red Devils graduate 7. Plus Greeneville has a pretty good tradition against Halls going back a long time. I’ll take Greeneville.

3 minutes ago, noonesfool said:

The Greene Devils did not have Canady which is a 12 point swing or the full squad they finished the season with, while the Red Devils graduate 7. Plus Greeneville has a pretty good tradition against Halls going back a long time. I’ll take Greeneville.

Maybe, but next year will be the only year they do it IF they do it. Greeneville's youth program is almost non existent and Halls is moving up a number of young studs who would have won their fair share of matches in HS this year. 

10 hours ago, noonesfool said:

I specified "early season" win meaning I was aware that the dual does not carry a lot of weight, as both teams' line up likely changed considerably over the course of the season.  Also, I believe it was the 1st or 2nd week of December of last year- so each team probably had at least one notable starter missing from their line up due to the large number of kids being quarantined during that time.  Nonetheless, I wasn't trying to make a Halls vs Greenville debate, I was only including the win on their list of accomplishments because Greenville was predicted "way too early" to be 2nd in small school and Halls was not even listed in the top 10.

Yes Halls graduated 7 starters, but they have 7 returning starters as well as 2 tough 8th graders coming up that would have started for them last year had they been a year older.  Also, (now here is where I hurt some people's feelings) If Halls was competing in Small School last year- Hutcheson (126), Whaley (145), and possibly Wright (106) would likely all be listed as "returning medalists" for the Red Devils.

29 minutes ago, sx1234 said:

I specified "early season" win meaning I was aware that the dual does not carry a lot of weight, as both teams' line up likely changed considerably over the course of the season.  Also, I believe it was the 1st or 2nd week of December of last year- so each team probably had at least one notable starter missing from their line up due to the large number of kids being quarantined during that time.  Nonetheless, I wasn't trying to make a Halls vs Greenville debate, I was only including the win on their list of accomplishments because Greenville was predicted "way too early" to be 2nd in small school and Halls was not even listed in the top 10.

Yes Halls graduated 7 starters, but they have 7 returning starters as well as 2 tough 8th graders coming up that would have started for them last year had they been a year older.  Also, (now here is where I hurt some people's feelings) If Halls was competing in Small School last year- Hutcheson (126), Whaley (145), and possibly Wright (106) would likely all be listed as "returning medalists" for the Red Devils.

For not turning this into pissing contest, your last couple paragraphs continued the debate. I have great respect for Halls Wrestling. Mr.JSampson stated that in the future the state Championships will run through Regions 2 and 3. A little short sightedness and lack of respect for the Devils.

1 hour ago, noonesfool said:

For not turning this into pissing contest, your last couple paragraphs continued the debate. I have great respect for Halls Wrestling. Mr.JSampson stated that in the future the state Championships will run through Regions 2 and 3. A little short sightedness and lack of respect for the Devils.

Greeneville isn't winning a team state title, call it what you want by they're not going to beat Pigeon Forge anytime soon nor will they beat Halls once this MS group moves up, PERIOD.

1 hour ago, JSamson7 said:

Greeneville isn't winning a team state title, call it what you want by they're not going to beat Pigeon Forge anytime soon nor will they beat Halls once this MS group moves up, PERIOD.

I’m very familiar with the Pigeon Forge Program and I believe Greg Foreman is one of the top 3 coaches in the state. No argument there. Should be favored. But I think that a Greeneville program with 2 defending state champs and a third state champ from 2 years ago who would have been in the finals except for a slam and a few other young state placers might hold their own against region 3 (Gibbs). Some great rising Devil freshmen are coming up as well. Coach Randy Shelton is a fine coach too. It was a very competitive Region and State between the 2 squads.

Edited by noonesfool

Too bad that state titles aren't determined by CoachT threads.  Lots of great wrestlers moving up across the state, lots of great coaching staffs, and lots of great competition.  "Way too early" is fun, but certainly not worth getting "Way too fired up about".   What would be interesting is if we could tie dollars to comments.  Are you $1 sure about who wins next year and next several years or are you $1,000 sure?  Are you $1 sure that your favorite team makes it to the state duals or are you $1,000 sure? :popcorneater:

3 minutes ago, Biffmar4 said:

Too bad that state titles aren't determined by CoachT threads.  Lots of great wrestlers moving up across the state, lots of great coaching staffs, and lots of great competition.  "Way too early" is fun, but certainly not worth getting "Way too fired up about".   What would be interesting is if we could tie dollars to comments.  Are you $1 sure about who wins next year and next several years or are you $1,000 sure?  Are you $1 sure that your favorite team makes it to the state duals or are you $1,000 sure? :popcorneater:

I'll make three $1 bets for any takers.

In order of my confidence:

1. $1 that Pigeon Forge wins Single A

2. $1 that Pigeon Forge, Greenville, and Halls all finish in the top 10 of the traditional state tournament.

3. $1 that Halls is at state duals. 

For anyone that wants to take me up on all three bets, Ill round up and give you a 5 dollar bill if I am wrong all three.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, sx1234 said:

I'll make three $1 bets for any takers.

In order of my confidence:

1. $1 that Pigeon Forge wins Single A

2. $1 that Pigeon Forge, Greenville, and Halls all finish in the top 10 of the traditional state tournament.

3. $1 that Halls is at state duals. 

For anyone that wants to take me up on all three bets, Ill round up and give you a 5 dollar bill if I am wrong all three.

Those are pretty good bets, I think you'd win all 3.