D1 (A) Way too Early Top 5

cowcatcher

I'm impressed that even with PF losing Dalon and Gumlick that they were able to maintain their strength.  Credit to their program.   They do lose 5 seniors, 3 of which were strong contributors (Skidmore, Sutton, and Algarawi) and state placers.  

Greeneville has two of the best wrestlers in the state, period, in Mason and Cannedy.  Just having those two in their room raises everyone. They lose 5 seniors, one of which was a state placer in Hunter Johnson. 

I saw Halls loses a crazy number of seniors (11).  Is most of their current talent young?

Edited by oceansize42

7 minutes ago, oceansize42 said:

I'm impressed that even with PF losing Dalon and Gumlick that they were able to maintain their strength.  Credit to their program.   They do lose 5 seniors, 3 of which were strong contributors (Skidmore, Sutton, and Algarawi) and state placers.  

Greeneville has two of the best wrestlers in the state, period, in Mason and Cannedy.  Just having those two in their room raises everyone. They lose 5 seniors, one of which was a state placer in Hunter Johnson. 

I saw Halls loses a crazy number of seniors (11).  Is most of their current talent young?

They have a bunch of talent coming up in all age groups K-8. They won both the ES & MS conference titles titles this year with no signs of slowing down. Depending on how things shake out, I could see 2 of their 8th graders getting a medal at the A level next year and it doesn't hurt that they have a small army of quality coaches over there. 

• 6 months later...

A Classifications:

Elizabethton High School (Elizabethton, TN)
Happy Valley High School (Elizabethton, TN)
Sullivan East High School (Bluff City, TN)
Tennessee High School (Bristol, TN)
Volunteer High School (Church Hill, TN)
David Crockett High School (Jonesborough, TN)
Greeneville High School (Greeneville, TN)
West Greene High School (Mosheim, TN)

Carter High School (Strawberry Plains, TN)
Claiborne High School (New Tazewell, TN)
Gibbs High School (Corryton, TN)
Union Co. High School (Maynardville, TN)
Clinton High School (Clinton, TN)
Fulton High School (Knoxville, TN)
Knoxville Halls High School (Knoxville, TN)

Cocke Co. High School (Newport, TN)
Northview Academy (Kodak, TN)
Pigeon Forge High School (Pigeon Forge, TN)
Seymour High School (Seymour, TN)
South-Doyle High School (Knoxville, TN)
Alcoa High School (Alcoa, TN)
Cumberland Co. High School (Crossville, TN)
Greenback High School (Greenback, TN)
Stone Memorial High School (Crossville, TN)

Hixson High School (Hixson, TN)
Polk Co. High School (Benton, TN)
Sale Creek School (Sale Creek, TN)
Soddy-Daisy High School (Soddy-Daisy, TN)
Tyner Academy (Chattanooga, TN)
Brainerd High School (Chattanooga, TN)
East Hamilton High School (Ooltewah, TN)
East Ridge High School (Chattanooga, TN)
Marion Co. High School (Jasper, TN)
Red Bank High School (Chattanooga, TN)
Signal Mountain High School (Signal Mountain, TN)
Whitwell High School (Whitwell, TN)

Green Hill High School (Mt. Juliet, TN)
Livingston Academy (Livingston, TN)
Trousdale Co. High School (Hartsville, TN)
Upperman High School (Baxter, TN)
Watertown High School (Watertown, TN)
East Robertson High School (Cross Plains, TN)
Greenbrier High School (Greenbrier, TN)
White House High School (White House, TN)

Community High School (Unionville, TN)
Eagleville High School (Eagleville, TN)
Forrest High School (Chapel Hill, TN)
Page High School (Franklin, TN)
Spring Hill High School (Columbia, TN)
Cascade High School (Bell Buckle, TN)
Cornersville High School (Cornersville, TN)
Lawrence Co. High School (Lawrenceburg, TN)
Marshall Co. High School (Lewisburg, TN)
Moore Co. High School (Lynchburg, TN)
Tullahoma High School (Tullahoma, TN)

East Nashville Magnet School (Nashville, TN)
Glencliff High School (Nashville, TN)
Hillwood High School (Nashville, TN)
Hume-Fogg Academic Magnet (Nashville, TN)
Pearl Cohn High School (Nashville, TN)
Stratford High School (Nashville, TN)
Whites Creek High School (Whites Creek, TN)
Cheatham Co. Central High School (Ashland City, TN)
Creek Wood High School (Charlotte, TN)
Fairview High School (Fairview, TN)
Harpeth High School (Kingston Springs, TN)
Montgomery Central High School (Cunningham, TN)
Sycamore High School (Pleasant View, TN)

Brighton High School (Brighton, TN)
Millington Central High School (Millington, TN)
Munford High School (Munford, TN)
Bolton High School (Arlington, TN)
Hamilton High School (Memphis, TN)
Memphis East High School (Memphis, TN)

18 hours ago, oceansize42 said:

I've  heard Garrett Foreman is not wrestling this year due to injuries that will require surgery and rehab. If so that would definitely hurt PF at least a little.  

I hate to hear that for him and his family.  I hope the young man will be okay and is able to recover from whatever happened without other complications. 

Samuel Everett School of Innovation is a new program that will be in region 3 district 6. Samuel Everett is a hybrid school in Blount County we will be co-oping with Eagleton College and Career Academy which is a brand new high school in Blount County. We are looking forward to growing wrestling in Blount County in the small school division. I know that we will be in tough region with Pigeon Forge. The awesome thing is unlike most new programs we will not be chasing our first state championships Everett High School had two wrestling state champions back in the 1960's. Good luck to everybody out there this season, and if you are a part of a school in the Knoxville area that is looking for extra teams to fill dates, or know of any JV type tournaments in the area especially in the month of December please reach out to me, I would love to set something up.

Joseph Evans

Head Wrestling Coach SESI

joseph.evans@blountk12.org

If you haven’t read SEWrestle’s “State of the Program” articles they’ve been doing over the off season, you should! Very insightful, they do a great job.

1. Pigeon Forge - https://www.southeastwrestling.com/blog/2021/8/8/st-john-paul-ii-lny22-pkd9d-83hll-mt35x-xbta2-9ea35-swrne-e7d2m-6ah3b-hbfzl-n8rh6-zjba4-k9rrf-hdyah-w3ydj-j8r3k-c9wrm-8chyh-eatgj-nadhh-t8j6l-4f6c4-lkzck-7nzmd

Since the A/AA and AAA Division I split in the 2013-2014 season, PF has won the traditional championship 6 of 8 years and placed in the top 3 7 of 8 years. Coach Foreman has become the Nick Saban of this classification and their dynasty is right up there with Crimson Tide (Roll Tide!) and doesn't appear to be ending anytime soon. I’ll put my money on them making it 4 in a row winning it all again this year. I hadn’t heard anything about Garrett Foreman being out for the year until oceansize42’s post yesterday. If there’s any truth to that, that obviously makes PF path to another title more difficult. Even if he's out, I still think they're the best team but that makes things a lot closer. Until that’s confirmed, give me the Tiger’s as they essentially return everyone again this year except Mustafi at HWT. If PF makes it 4 in a row, I think Coach Foreman has a legit argument to be considered the GOAT in terms of best coach in TN history.

2. Greeneville - https://www.southeastwrestling.com/blog/6tnzwfsrbah84xr-fpg9c-x9c89-64zd3-z6zy9-tnx79-ppgnl-pm5rm-cmljy-s4kc7-lf6rn-mts9x-n798b-mr5g6-hpnar-yldwt-hjslg-w637c-k3ede-tl77l-btwaf-s3a42-pfn9a-5b44f-wd2bs-3hcb7-rrmg9

Coach Shelton’s team’s been headed in the right direction for a while it seems with 3 consecutive 3rd place finishes in the traditional tournament. If there’s ever been a year for the Devils to finally break through and win it all, it’s this year. They’ll go into the year with 2 essential locks for individual titles with Hunter (ranked #6 in the nation at 132lbs on Flo) and Kodiak (ranked #18 in the nation at 160lbs on Flo). They'll probably be at 138/145lbs and 170lbs though for the school season. I think they’re still on the outside looking in but if Foreman’s out, it’s wide open and you can easily argue the Devils would be the pick to win it. 

3. Fairview - https://www.southeastwrestling.com/blog/2021/8/8/st-john-paul-ii-lny22-pkd9d-83hll-mt35x-xbta2-9ea35-swrne-e7d2m-6ah3b-hbfzl-n8rh6-zjba4-k9rrf-ztnpd

While the defending Dual Champions lose their leader and the state tournament’s OW, Riley Bennet, the Jackets return 7 of 8 of their returning placers from last year’s team. If Malachi Bennett (160, would need to be in a different weight than Kodiak), Kendrick Curtis (182), and Jacob Clevenger (HWT) who all finished 2nd last year can take the next step and win titles, Fairview would have a great crack at it… IF Mr. Garrett Foreman is actually out. Big IF! 

4. Signal Mountain - https://www.southeastwrestling.com/blog/nsl6ap2pc9ay4m6-3z3r8-xtmx7-hnlkt-nsx3w-sz4dk-gkbwa-2r7hg-bttpa-2jmck-2xb4x-k4m39-f8ghp-j3tb4-me4f9-j4ph7

After graduating 9 seniors from a team that finished 2nd last year, you gotta think Signal takes a big step back, right? Well, they still got 3 Uhorchuk’s which likely means 3 champions. There’s a lot of unknowns with Signal and a lot of guys mentioned in the article I’ve never heard of but when I saw they added Quails and Winchester as transfers, I’m going to have Signal as my dark horse to potentially win it (again..only IF Foreman is truly out). They would have to have some of those other kids I don't know much about step up too though. If you don’t know Quails and Winchester, you will. I remember watching them dominate in middle school, they’re studs. My Chatt source tells me they didn’t wrestle the last 2 years because their old high school didn’t have a wrestling team. Signal getting Houston and his dad as their new coaches helps too. They did a lot with a little last year at Whitwell, interested to see what they do with a program like Signal.

5. Sycamore – maybe I missed an article on these guys? Just going off paper, I like what Sycamore returns. They’ll have Logan Heckert back who waltzed his way to the 132lb title in dominant fashion last year. I hear Heckert has really bulked up over the summer and had to cut to make 160lbs at the Super 32 qualifier in Atlanta a few weeks ago. Could Heckert challenge Kodiak this year? I’d love to see that one. They also return a very good Luke London who took 2nd at 138lbs last year. If he stays out of Hunter's weight, he should have a great shot at winning a championship this year. Coach Hamblin’s team really seems to be on the rise. They won’t win it this year, but the way he’s got this program trending, they’ll be a legit title contender in a year or two.. heard it here first.

Anyone else have any big off season news or thoughts or predictions for the season? Any insight on the teams that are coming down to our class?

My final thought—I just want to say I think (despite my bias), the A classification is the most entertaining division in TN this year. Big school state and DII.. already foregone conclusions with Cleveland and Baylor. Class A is where the true rivalries and fun is at. Might I add that the big school/small school split for wrestling has been one of the best decisions the TSSAA has ever made. Wrestling is growing rapidly at schools not traditionally known for their wrestling and as a result, you’ve got a Single A classification in a southern state with nationally ranked talent like Kodiak, Hunter, the Uhorchuk brothers, Garrett Foreman, and plenty of impressive others representing the great state of Tennessee! Looking forward to it!

1 hour ago, sx1234 said:

I hate to hear that for him and his family.  I hope the young man will be okay and is able to recover from whatever happened without other complications. 

Prayers be with Garrett and his family. I'll say this though, anyone who knows the type of kid Garrett is, don't be shocked to see this young man on the mat getting his hand raised in the final match of the year at his weight class;).

Just now, cowcatcher said:

Prayers be with Garrett and his family. I'll say this though, anyone who knows the type of kid Garrett is, don't be shocked to see this young man on the mat getting his hand raised in the final match of the year at his weight class;).

Unfortunately I've heard the same comment from two different sources both of whom are reliable.  Elbow is the problem.  Now Garrett is for sure the type of kid to overcome all odds and I hope he can.  

4 minutes ago, oceansize42 said:

Unfortunately I've heard the same comment from two different sources both of whom are reliable.  Elbow is the problem.  Now Garrett is for sure the type of kid to overcome all odds and I hope he can.  

Wow, hate to hear that for anyone but my heart especially breaks a kid like him who has given so much to the sport and it being his senior year. Watching him over the years you can tell that people on his team, other teams, the fans, coaches, and officials all have so much respect for him and everything he stands for. 

To Garrett if he sees this.. know that he wrestling community is pulling for you to overcome the odds and make a speedy recover buddy. Get well soon!