Single A conversation (please anyone)

shockernation

I am curious to find out how good Lake County and Union City currently are. So far, the two best teams that I've seen in West Tennessee are Hardin County and Trinity. Baseball in West Tennessee (as a whole) is down. The product the teams are putting on the field is bad compared to what it was 5 years ago.

11 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

I am curious to find out how good Lake County and Union City currently are. So far, the two best teams that I've seen in West Tennessee are Hardin County and Trinity. Baseball in West Tennessee (as a whole) is down. The product the teams are putting on the field is bad compared to what it was 5 years ago.

I am curious as well. LC drops 3 in a row to UC Crockett and Tillman. UC has a head scratcher of a loss to Bradford? Still early but I still think LC UC Gibson and Trenton are the best from the west!

Baseball is down in every level. Technology I guess? Lots of smaller communities are just not having league ball due to participation! Sad

They say travel ball killed league ball and I don’t buy that! I got 2 girls and an 8 yr old playing travel and league! We may play or practice every night but it sure beats watching them play some video game! I blame parents!

Rant over thanks for some baseball input though 

• Like 1

I watched  LC,UC, Crocket Co, Trenton, Halls,  Westview, and Tilghman play some at UC. Tilghman is a really good team and they threw their best pitchers in the Ladd tournament. Crocket Co is a solid team but they have district games Monday and Tuesday so I doubt they threw anyone in the tournament they might need for those games. LC looked pretty good, they can hit and pitched pretty well. They will be fine in their district. UC has one pitcher and the defense is suspect at best, they will finish out of the running for district the championship. Trenton has a couple of players but not many "baseball" players, their defense wasn't great either. Halls looked better than everybody says, they have some arms and some big kids that can swing it pretty well. Westview looked good, defense was solid and looked like they could hit throughout the lineup. They have district games Monday and Tuesday also so I doubt any pitchers they used are in their top 3 or 4. They lost in the championship game 7-2, they had the lead 2-0 after the 5th inning but ran out of steam. The big left handed kid that pitched for Tilghman is a Louisville commit that got stronger the more he pitched. 

14 hours ago, shockernation said:

I am curious as well. LC drops 3 in a row to UC Crockett and Tillman. UC has a head scratcher of a loss to Bradford? Still early but I still think LC UC Gibson and Trenton are the best from the west!

Baseball is down in every level. Technology I guess? Lots of smaller communities are just not having league ball due to participation! Sad

They say travel ball killed league ball and I don’t buy that! I got 2 girls and an 8 yr old playing travel and league! We may play or practice every night but it sure beats watching them play some video game! I blame parents!

Travel ball is killing it. We now have 7 year olds playing travel ball. Why? Growing up, kids were playing in their local league organization. And if they were "good enough" then we have them play travel ball. Now, we have more kids playing travel ball. That results in into a "water down" product. We, now see 2-3 of the same travel ball teams (organizations) in each age group. That wasn't the case 5-7 years ago. 

Going to a "party" with 25 people is better than going to a "party" with 100 people. Not everybody can be invited.

Tournament directors don't care about who is at their facilities playing the games. All they care about is the profit they're making each weekend. Sad, but they make money for a bad baseball team to play 3 games a weekend, and go home. 

We are now at the point where "travel ball players" could potentially be a sub-average High School player. It doesn't carry the same weight as it did 5-7 years ago.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2021 at 8:23 AM, shockernation said:

On 4/5/2021 at 8:52 AM, woodsandwater said:

I watched  LC,UC, Crocket Co, Trenton, Halls,  Westview, and Tilghman play some at UC. Tilghman is a really good team and they threw their best pitchers in the Ladd tournament. Crocket Co is a solid team but they have district games Monday and Tuesday so I doubt they threw anyone in the tournament they might need for those games. LC looked pretty good, they can hit and pitched pretty well. They will be fine in their district. UC has one pitcher and the defense is suspect at best, they will finish out of the running for district the championship. Trenton has a couple of players but not many "baseball" players, their defense wasn't great either. Halls looked better than everybody says, they have some arms and some big kids that can swing it pretty well. Westview looked good, defense was solid and looked like they could hit throughout the lineup. They have district games Monday and Tuesday also so I doubt any pitchers they used are in their top 3 or 4. They lost in the championship game 7-2, they had the lead 2-0 after the 5th inning but ran out of steam. The big left handed kid that pitched for Tilghman is a Louisville commit that got stronger the more he pitched. 

Watched Halls and Gibson County play yesterday. Halls and Gibson County’s starters were scoreless after five and Halls scored 3 in the 6th and won 3-0. Gibson County has several pitchers. Halls had a kid yesterday that could bring it and was very much under control. When he missed it wasn’t by much. Think we are going to see some good pitching in West TN. Who is going to hit the ball and get hot with the bats at the right time will make state. Halls got the big hits late yesterday. They play again today at Halls.

Edited by pioneer42

1 hour ago, pioneer42 said:

Watched Halls and Gibson County play yesterday. Halls and Gibson County’s starters were scoreless after five and Halls scored 3 in the 6th and won 3-0. Gibson County has several pitchers. Halls had a kid yesterday that could bring it and was very much under control. When he missed it wasn’t by much. Think we are going to see some good pitching in West TN. Who is going to hit the ball and get hot with the bats at the right time will make state. Halls got the big hits late yesterday. They play again today at Halls.

Kinda surprising Halls must have been down in the 2 games we played them? May not have faced that kid either game? But LC handled Halls quite easily both games! Just glad to finally have baseball talk! Thanks

12 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

Travel ball is killing it. We now have 7 year olds playing travel ball. Why? Growing up, kids were playing in their local league organization. And if they were "good enough" then we have them play travel ball. Now, we have more kids playing travel ball. That results in into a "water down" product. We, now see 2-3 of the same travel ball teams (organizations) in each age group. That wasn't the case 5-7 years ago. 

Going to a "party" with 25 people is better than going to a "party" with 100 people. Not everybody can be invited.

Tournament directors don't care about who is at their facilities playing the games. All they care about is the profit they're making each weekend. Sad, but they make money for a bad baseball team to play 3 games a weekend, and go home. 

We are now at the point where "travel ball players" could potentially be a sub-average High School player. It doesn't carry the same weight as it did 5-7 years ago.

But when you have no league what do you do? Quit or join that 3 loss a weekend team? Tough call our league is dead and I have 8 yr old B/G twins and a 7yr old girl that wanna play ball. We decided to go the 3 loss route because of no other options! And I love it they love it! Technology? I still blame parents! The travel ball killing league ball started 10-15 years ago! Wish I had the answers because our league is feeling for a pulse

2 hours ago, shockernation said:

Kinda surprising Halls must have been down in the 2 games we played them? May not have faced that kid either game? But LC handled Halls quite easily both games! Just glad to finally have baseball talk! Thanks

Pitcher yesterday won and he could bring it. We only had 1 hit. Never know in these games especially if they have an ace and you have to face them. Guy yesterday would have have gave a lot of teams trouble.

Edited by pioneer42

10 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

Pitcher yesterday won and he could bring it. We only had 1 hit. Never know in these games especially if they have an ace and you have to face them. Guy yesterday would have have gave a lot of teams trouble.

South Fulton seems to be a lot like halls. Got one really good pitcher beating LC yesterday 3-0 but LC came back today and put the 10 run rule on? Early still but I know you had a great win over a good Dyersburg team! Early still gotta remember a year off can lead to anyone getting hot or some no one sneaking in! 

31 minutes ago, shockernation said:

South Fulton seems to be a lot like halls. Got one really good pitcher beating LC yesterday 3-0 but LC came back today and put the 10 run rule on? Early still but I know you had a great win over a good Dyersburg team! Early still gotta remember a year off can lead to anyone getting hot or some no one sneaking in! 

Gibson County won today 20-11 against Halls. Tells me the same pitcher wasn’t pitching right?? Gibson County has had some close losses with other AA schools as well. They got some good pitching just got to get the bats rolling and play good fundamental defense. Going to be interesting what happens in tournaments and who gets the bats rolling. I imagine we all are going to see some good pitching. Lake County knocked us out two years ago with a pitcher that could bring it. These District Tournaments may be more interesting than I thought with Halls and South Fulton. I would bet the Vegas odds would have Peabody, Gibson County, Lake County and Union City  battling it out but you never know how it ends up.

Edited by pioneer42
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

Gibson County won today 20-11 against Halls. Tells me the same pitcher wasn’t pitching right?? Gibson County has had some close losses with other AA schools as well. They got some good pitching just got to get the bats rolling and play good fundamental defense. Going to be interesting what happens in tournaments and who gets the bats rolling. I imagine we all are going to see some good pitching. Lake County knocked us out two years ago with a pitcher that could bring it. These District Tournaments may be more interesting than I thought with Halls and South Fulton. I would bet the Vegas odds would have Peabody, Gibson County, Lake County and Union City  battling it out but you never know how it ends up.

Especially if some of these teams have an ace that’s tough tournaments could be interesting! My bet is on those 4 as well! Keep me updated on Gibson please!

Any other posters got anything new? Anyone