Early Early Predictions

BallIsLife1

15 minutes ago, BallIsLife1 said:

New Districts, New Regions, New Sectional areas

Who do you guys and gals predict to be on top? You have to go to the website and find the new information.

A

AA

AAA

AAAA

To answer the question that someone is bound to ask, here are the new classifications and alignments for the next few years: https://portal.tssaa.org/common/classification/?schoolYear=2021&sportid=3&type=high

I can only speak for rural West TN, but I expect there to be some solid teams coming out of our area in A, AA and AAA.

In A, McKenzie, Peabody and Greenfield, should continue to be good. I expect McKenzie to be one of the preseason favorites. Peabody is going to lose some kids, but should be able to still be competitive at the A level. Greenfield will go as far as Darby can carry them. She is an impressive player, and helps open up things for everyone else. Gleason and Bradford are well coached and normally are competitive, as well. 

AA has the best district matchup in West TN IMO. Anxiously waiting to go see those Gibson Co.-Westview district battles. Those two will be really good as always. Union City will be down a bit after losing Williams. Not really sure what to expect out of Huntingdon, but they are well coached, which goes a long way. Milan is going to be BAD, plus they need to fill their coaching spot. D13 is a big question mark. Riverside and Scotts Hill could always surprise and produce some talent. You'd expect Memphis to produce some teams that could compete at the State level, but we really haven't gotten to see them play since 2019-20. 

AAA- D11 is a crapshoot. Those schools normally don't stay down for long, I'd expect at least one or two to be competitive enough to worry about in late February. D12 is South Side's to lose. South Gibson could be an interesting wildcard in this Class, if they make the right hire at coach this offseason. Poor Liberty and North Side need South Side to give up some of their talent. D13 is intriguing. Dyersburg should be really pretty good next year. I know they underwhelmed this year and are losing a couple of their key playmakers, but they have good talent coming up, and I think they'll get some of the attitudes straightened out. Dyer Co. should continue to be a contender. Biggest question with them is what happens, if anything, with McCord? Crockett is as well coached as any team, but they are going to struggle next year unless they have some people move in. Losing the few kids that could kind of score this year, and not getting any help from the middle school. Irvin has her work cut out for her. Obion is normally a wild card. Normally not good enough to compete for a top spot, but good enough to spoil one. D14 has the metro Memphis schools (Covington, Brighton, Munford), which normally are pretty good. I know Covington has been great the last few seasons, I'd expect them to continue to be the favorite. Interested to see what the new coach at Haywood will do, if anything, for the program. Lot of capable athletes at Haywood. We've seen teams get competitive there with the right coach.

I'll throw DII-A in the mix, as well. I think TCA will be one of the early favorites. Lee and Goehring played really well last year. I think the supporting cast will step up a bit more and will benefit from Williams coming over from South Gibson. Coble will have that group ready. USJ should struggle a bit early, but come tournament time will be dangerous. They lose their core playmakers off this year's team, but still have a lot of talent waiting in the wings. Question is how long will it take them to step up into those star roles. Jackson Christian should be improving over these next few years, but I think are still a decent way behind the other two Jackson privates. TRA is always dangerous, and will pose an issue. Northpoint is another one in the other district that will make life difficult in the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, BallIsLife1 said:

New Districts, New Regions, New Sectional areas

Who do you guys and gals predict to be on top? You have to go to the website and find the new information.

A

AA

AAA

AAAA

Single A I like North Green, McKenzie and possibly Clay County (their roster passed the eye test) as early favorites. Gleason, Greenfield and possibly MAHS and maybe a Bradford will battle it out for the two top spots to go to state in West TN, IMO. Not sold on Peabody if they are losing what I think they are losing. Jr. High don’t think will bring much help. USJ and TCA will have good teams in the private sector. Gibson County and Westview will be tough as will Loretto and Summertown. Loretto will be my number 1 team because they won the Gold Ball and have more help coming even after losing a couple of quality players. McMinn Central, South Green, York, Meigs, Westmoreland and others I am sure will be tough outs as well. Do think their will be a lot of defense. I know Gibson County’s young girls really dialed in late in the year and won a couple of ugly defensive games. We shot 2-20 from 3 point land and got beat at the buzzer at the state. We know they will be nasty on defense as will Westview and others. Do expect some defensive basketball at state especially in AA next year much like the Summertown Clarkrange game that was 30-30 end of regulation. I do think you can flip a coin in AA next year it will be so evenly matched. Gibson County, Westview, Summertown and Loretto only two will get there so we know there will be a state tournament to get to a state tournament. Region 7 and Region 8 still have a lot of work to sell me they will be competitive in West TN period much less a state tournament but they will have two teams there looks like.

19 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

Single A I like North Green, McKenzie and possibly Clay County (their roster passed the eye test) as early favorites. Gleason, Greenfield and possibly MAHS and maybe a Bradford will battle it out for the two top spots to go to state in West TN, IMO. Not sold on Peabody if they are losing what I think they are losing. Jr. High don’t think will bring much help. USJ and TCA will have good teams in the private sector. Gibson County and Westview will be tough as will Loretto and Summertown. Loretto will be my number 1 team because they won the Gold Ball and have more help coming even after losing a couple of quality players. McMinn Central, South Green, York, Meigs, Westmoreland and others I am sure will be tough outs as well. Do think their will be a lot of defense. I know Gibson County’s young girls really dialed in late in the year and won a couple of ugly defensive games. We shot 2-20 from 3 point land and got beat at the buzzer at the state. We know they will be nasty on defense as will Westview and others. Do expect some defensive basketball at state especially in AA next year much like the Summertown Clarkrange game that was 30-30 end of regulation. I do think you can flip a coin in AA next year it will be so evenly matched. Gibson County, Westview, Summertown and Loretto only two will get there so we know there will be a state tournament to get to a state tournament. Region 7 and Region 8 still have a lot of work to sell me they will be competitive in West TN period much less a state tournament but they will have two teams there looks like.

Agreed.

Clarkrange will be a prohibitive favorite every year in this new classification. Clay County will be at the top for the foreseeable future. Likewise Westview and GC out of the west have to be considered in the top echelon of AA. Look for White County to make some noise in the coming years at the AAA level. 

Edited by UCSportsFan
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, UCSportsFan said:

Clarkrange will be a prohibitive favorite every year in this new classification. Clay County will be at the top for the foreseeable future. Likewise Westview and GC out of the west have to be considered in the top echelon of AA. Look for White County to make some noise in the coming years at the AAA level. 

No doubt Clarkrange will always be in the mix. Will be interesting to see their younger girls in action. They lose a few right???

On 3/24/2021 at 4:21 PM, pioneer42 said:

McMinn Central returns all but one next season.  They were a tough out last year and actually were down to Macon by 3 in sub-state with 2:30 to play, eventually losing by 10.  Meigs loses everyone, but will play tough, just don't see them contending next year.  Tellico will be descent but will have to go through McMinn Central.  Alcoa will also be a tough team in AA next season from the east.

5 hours ago, logcabinman said:

McMinn Central returns all but one next season.  They were a tough out last year and actually were down to Macon by 3 in sub-state with 2:30 to play, eventually losing by 10.  Meigs loses everyone, but will play tough, just don't see them contending next year.  Tellico will be descent but will have to go through McMinn Central.  Alcoa will also be a tough team in AA next season from the east.

Yeah I heard McMinn was young and had a good year this year and will obviously get better. I know Johnny and have met him several times. Good guy and a great coach. Always has McMinn Central tough as nails. McMinn Central has always had a great program and are always in the mix year end and year out.

On 3/26/2021 at 11:04 AM, pioneer42 said:

No doubt Clarkrange will always be in the mix. Will be interesting to see their younger girls in action. They lose a few right???

Crange will reload some, Lamar has a grand daughter that will be a freshman next season so you can count on him to coach them up the next 4 years, I don’t see them being competitive for at least a couple of years unless they get a big time transfer though. 

Edited by TheTruthHurts22

20 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts22 said:

Crange will reload some, Lamar has a grand daughter that will be a freshman next season so you can count on him to coach them up the next 4 years, I don’t see them being competitive for at least a couple of years unless they get a big time transfer though. 

Clay County looks like they have a solid roster. Never know 100% how the young one’s for Clarkrange  will play. I expect them to for sure be in the mix just because they have a program and will reload. 

Edited by pioneer42

On 3/25/2021 at 10:15 PM, UCSportsFan said:

Clarkrange Clay RBS and Pickett could legitimately all be Top 10 teams in the new A class. It will be a fight to get out of the district/region. 

York got handed a few district championship with this new alignment no one left to challenge them in AA. 

White may win that AAA District but it’s insanely deep in tradition. Watch out for Cumberland they were all Sophomores and really improved by the end of the year. 

White

Upperman

Cumberland

Livingston

Stone

Macon

DeKalb

that’s probably how it will finish as several teams lost a bunch of talent. Macon and Stone will take a while to return Macon has incredible talent at the elementary level I hear maybe equal to the last 2 years. 

Edited by Khall555

5 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

Clay County looks like they have a solid roster. Never know 100% how the young one’s for Clarkrange  will play. I expect them to for sure be in the mix just because they have a program and will reload. 

Clay county loses a bunch of ball handling, leadership, and shooting at the guard position. It will be hard to replace those things, however as long as they get the ball into the post they should be a pretty tough out in single A. Their post play will only get better in the coming years especially after getting the experience they did this year. The key for them is to keep playing tough schedules to develop talent. Good thing is the Upper Cumberland is full of solid teams year in and year out.