Obion County Coaching Search

Allthetalk

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP, considering the region that the team is going to have to compete in, and the what appears to be lack luster support from the community I think its probably going to be an up and comer. Something along the lines of a DC or OC at a program now. 

I wish Obion luck. It is going to a tough job building the program back. 

2 hours ago, ManOfMillions said:

OP, considering the region that the team is going to have to compete in, and the what appears to be lack luster support from the community I think its probably going to be an up and comer. Something along the lines of a DC or OC at a program now. 

Covington was once in a Region with Obion County Central. I only remember one time in recent memory that they beat us (the prep database says Covington is 19-6 all-time vs. Obion, but I can't personally recall 6 losses to them). 

In general, they were like Munford. Both schools have great bands, but are not too into football. 

5 hours ago, ManOfMillions said:

It will likely be someone from outside the area looking for their first HC position. If not, they will have to promote from within (unlikely scenario). 

As far as building the program back. They must first have a program. No coach has had a long tenure at OC.  7 to 8 years is max there. Seldom are those years above .500.  Two coaches that come to mind who had limited success there and extremely successful post OC careers are Pratt and Bowling. OC is not an environment condusive to winning football. 

3 hours ago, GATNA said:

It will likely be someone from outside the area looking for their first HC position. If not, they will have to promote from within (unlikely scenario). 

As far as building the program back. They must first have a program. No coach has had a long tenure at OC.  7 to 8 years is max there. Seldom are those years above .500.  Two coaches that come to mind who had limited success there and extremely successful post OC careers are Pratt and Bowling. OC is not an environment condusive to winning football. 

I know the database isn't 100% accurate, but according to the database, Obion has had 15 different coaches over the past 61 years.  Only one of those coaches has had a winning record.  Chris Hill coached the Rebels in 1961 and 1962.   During his 2 year stint at OCC, the Rebs won 13 games and lost 9.

http://www.ahsfhs.org/tennessee/teams/Coaches.asp?Team=Obion%20County%20Central

Edited by stacmot

7 hours ago, stacmot said:

I know the database isn't 100% accurate, but according to the database, Obion has had 15 different coaches over the past 61 years.  Only one of those coaches has had a winning record.  Chris Hill coached the Rebels in 1961 and 1962.   During his 2 year stint at OCC, the Rebs won 13 games and lost 9.

That is probably accurate. The math says that's an average of 4.06 years per coach. Makes you scratch your head and wonder.

On 3/29/2021 at 10:53 PM, stacmot said:

2 hours ago, reddyrebel6 said:

Chris Hill is still coaching in Arkansas. I doubt he was there is 1961 and 1962, lol. More like 2001 and 2002. And seems like Shawn Jackson had a pretty good run there in 2010 and 2011 or somewhere in there.

You may be correct.  I was just stating what I found on the database,  and I did state that I know the database isn't always accurate. 

Shawn Jackson did have a 9-3 record in 2011, but it appears his overall record at Obion was 22-32.

Look at this link:

1 hour ago, stacmot said:

You may be correct.  I was just stating what I found on the database,  and I did state that I know the database isn't always accurate. 

Shawn Jackson did have a 9-3 record in 2011, but it appears his overall record at Obion was 22-32.

Look at this link:

i do stand corrected.  Chris Hill coached at Obion from 2001-2002 (not 61 and 62).  Sorry. 

Edited by stacmot