William Blount getting a little defensive about next year...

46 minutes ago, TheGreatWallofAlnwick said:

Exactly. And last year's records don't mean squat. I remember when WB scheduled a Morristown East team that was coming off a 1-9  season and they went 9-1 and beat us the year we played them. I also remember us getting flak for scheduling a "down" Anderson County team and they were one of the best teams in their class the years we played them and beat us both times. And we also scheduled Elizabethton. To suggest WB dodges people and looks for easy wins is comical. It also irks me that Barney is always badmouthing WB and will say he supports all the county schools when It's very obvious that he doesn't.

Agree. Both Anderson County and Elizabethton are great teams! Just goes to show there is sissy adult politics involved. WB and Heritage should be playing Maryville and Alcoa.   

• Like 1

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, BCsportsfan said:

How does in benefit Kids at WB? Really?!,....you think the kids/players would shy away from playing Alcoa? NO, that's just a bunch of sissy adults that don't want to play a school 10 minutes away. Fact.

It has forced both WB and Alcoa to travel hours away to get games. Alcoa has traveled to KY, middle TN. etc. because someone got butt hurt. 

AND, my feeling, It has Nothing to do with the Players! 

WB players have played against Alcoa and Maryville players in football well before that got to the Middle School and High School level. I can not speak for them, I bet they would play every year and not bat a eye! 

What good does do? Wow, What a question! Why play the game at all, if you don't know! Sad.

Again, your answers were how it mostly benefited Alcoa (and although you didn't mention them, Maryville) and then assumed WB traveling is an issue.

Here is another set of questions.

1. Why should anyone from WB care how far Maryville or Alcoa has to travel? As far as I am concerned it is not their problem.

2. Why does Alcoa and Maryville have to travel to KY and Middle Tennessee to find opponents? Why doesn't some team in closer proximity take on that game? I would venture to say WB people have similar thoughts about it as those other teams that don't take it on. 

3. Why should William Blount take 2 automatic losses every year to make Maryville and Alcoa fans feel good about not traveling as far? You could talk about being "scared", but like you basically said not one William Blount player I know is scared to get on the field with them, but that doesn't mean they care to volunteer themselves for feel good wins for a cross city team. WB may lose every game they play next year, but they have a chance in all of them as they will be playing opponents that are more closely tied to the talent level.  How big a man are you or sissy adults arguments just don't make a lot of sense. They sound good from behind a keyboard though, but not practical in this matter. This has nothing to do with football knowledge.

4. Why hijack a thread that was meant to be a positive post about something good happening in town just to get your two cents in? You could start your own thread instead of hiding your feelings inside a post that has nothing to do with the points you are trying to make.

I am done with this topic after this reply as I am choosing to focus on the good news WB has had over the last 2 days.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, williebgovs04 said:

Showed some friends your message here Barney and they find it very comical that you take the time to look up WB’s opponent’s record from last year. It’s very strange how you get on here and talk about how you support the county teams and county kids then you continue to bash them, please just quit with your BS.

Willie 17 isn't very hard to add up between 7 high school football teams that won that many games last year so it actually took less time to do that then you to respond to my post as you did.  I'm just throwing something out there to wake you guys up is all. Willie last year I didn't go to any of the away games Maryville played but as a fan of the whole county I usually have four games all going at the same time. Usually during a season I know anywhere from six to a dozen parents of boys on each team so I do get a ear full because that's what parents love to do. Knowing what I do about high school football I could break every team up and put them in the correct regions they belong in and I would bet you my life attendance would double because mercy rule games would be few and far apart and the games would be fun to watch again. School enrollment is not the fair way to do things as I've always said. Take those seven schools WB is playing that went 17-52 plus the new school minus D-B and S-H would make perfect sense as one of those regions I'm talking about. I can't blame WB for not wanting to play Maryville but the fact is if they do just good enough they'll end up playing Maryville anyway in the playoffs. There are more fair ways to do things with even less classes. There could even be special divisions with schools that have never won or ever will so it wouldn't matter anyhow that could finally get a chance to play a game and not get their brains beat out 88-0.

4 hours ago, CrossStateTraveler said:

Again, your answers were how it mostly benefited Alcoa (and although you didn't mention them, Maryville) and then assumed WB traveling is an issue.

Here is another set of questions.

1. Why should anyone from WB care how far Maryville or Alcoa has to travel? As far as I am concerned it is not their problem.

2. Why does Alcoa and Maryville have to travel to KY and Middle Tennessee to find opponents? Why doesn't some team in closer proximity take on that game? I would venture to say WB people have similar thoughts about it as those other teams that don't take it on. 

3. Why should William Blount take 2 automatic losses every year to make Maryville and Alcoa fans feel good about not traveling as far? You could talk about being "scared", but like you basically said not one William Blount player I know is scared to get on the field with them, but that doesn't mean they care to volunteer themselves for feel good wins for a cross city team. WB may lose every game they play next year, but they have a chance in all of them as they will be playing opponents that are more closely tied to the talent level.  How big a man are you or sissy adults arguments just don't make a lot of sense. They sound good from behind a keyboard though, but not practical in this matter. This has nothing to do with football knowledge.

4. Why hijack a thread that was meant to be a positive post about something good happening in town just to get your two cents in? You could start your own thread instead of hiding your feelings inside a post that has nothing to do with the points you are trying to make.

I am done with this topic after this reply as I am choosing to focus on the good news WB has had over the last 2 days.

It is obvious by your questions you are happy with the status quo. Enjoy. :bored:

You will never sharpen steel with cotton, especially when the powers to be are scared to get cut. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BCsportsfan said:

It is obvious by your questions you are happy with the status quo. Enjoy. :bored:

You will never sharpen steel with cotton, especially when the powers to be are scared to get cut. 

Seriously?  The boy's in the district welcome WB not for their record, but because they want to be in a conference that they are more competitive.  Tell me a parent that doesn't want their kid to participate in a league that their son is competitive.  The rules have morphed over the decades in football and we as parents may not be able to see them.  However, I will submit that we must persevere and move forward.  I'm a division 1 football player with a kid that will probably not meet the expectation.  I am ok with that scenario.  Coaches do their best to put their team in the best position to succeed in life, weather it be through football or all the lessons that football provides them.  Please don't hinder the exceptional opportunity for you son to experience what a team environment can be like.  There is nothing greater than being involved with a team that strives to be a pillar in the community.

5 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

I can't blame WB for not wanting to play Maryville but the fact is if they do just good enough they'll end up playing Maryville anyway in the playoffs. 

Barney,

You have a way of arguing and proving everyone else's point. The portion of your post that I quoted is a good example of this.  What you say is true, but that information doesn't say what you think it says. It's true that WB will end up playing Maryville if they do well and get into the playoffs. So what's the problem? Don't you think it would be a better game if WB came into the game with some confidence and momentum after having a good season? Wouldn't that be better than another regular season mercy rule? And if WB were to tank and not make the playoffs or get beat before they play Maryville than they won't play them and that would save us all from another boring game.

Edited by TheGreatWallofAlnwick

5 hours ago, TheGreatWallofAlnwick said:

Barney,

You have a way of arguing and proving everyone else's point. The portion of your post that I quoted is a good example of this.  What you say is true, but that information doesn't say what you think it says. It's true that WB will end up playing Maryville if they do well and get into the playoffs. So what's the problem? Don't you think it would be a better game if WB came into the game with some confidence and momentum after having a good season? Wouldn't that be better than another regular season mercy rule? And if WB were to tank and not make the playoffs or get beat before they play Maryville than they won't play them and that would save us all from another boring game.

I'll be honest ,I'm glad they aren't playing each other because it's a waste of money and time to watch. I don't blame the kids or coaches at WB either. It takes investment to put a winning program together and that blame falls at the feet of the county leaders. Shad is a much better coach than his record at WB but from the very start he has been hindered with a cheap budget and the right tools to do this job. That my friend is how the TSSAA should divide the schools up based on those facts not enrollment. Look how dangerous the conditions those schools have gotten in until they had to do something about it because the county is run by good ole boys, especially the one who likes his picture in the paper all the time.

6 hours ago, JustAnotherFootballFan said:

Seriously?  The boy's in the district welcome WB not for their record, but because they want to be in a conference that they are more competitive.  Tell me a parent that doesn't want their kid to participate in a league that their son is competitive.  The rules have morphed over the decades in football and we as parents may not be able to see them.  However, I will submit that we must persevere and move forward.  I'm a division 1 football player with a kid that will probably not meet the expectation.  I am ok with that scenario.  Coaches do their best to put their team in the best position to succeed in life, weather it be through football or all the lessons that football provides them.  Please don't hinder the exceptional opportunity for you son to experience what a team environment can be like.  There is nothing greater than being involved with a team that strives to be a pillar in the community.

Ha. You want for your Son what most would. And, I agree with you. As D1 player you know what it takes at a higher level. If there is ever a real desire to be anything but a sub 500 team, there needs to be a change in philosophy.  A belief that we can compete. That is missing at WB, a program surrounded with winning programs from 1A football to 6A football. ALL within 10-15 miles of WB. The talent is there. The missing piece is confidence and swagger...and that starts with the Coaches, staff,  Administration parents and fans.  WB dodges Alcoa.....then schedules a 1A team? WB is better than that. Alcoa would not be Alcoa, IMO, If it where not for continued competing with Maryville and other tough competition. Plus, the deep desire to always want to get better and be competitive. Coach Lamar at Knoxville West said it best. His team was a favorite the last two years in 5A, only to get knocked off in the 2nd and 3rd round. But, he said he needed to schedule better regular season competition, his team NEEDED it.  He did! The Rebels schedule is brutal.  I garuntee it will pay off.  Right now.....the WB peps posting here give the feeling/attitude of just the opposite?

6 hours ago, BCsportsfan said:

Ha. You want for your Son what most would. And, I agree with you. As D1 player you know what it takes at a higher level. If there is ever a real desire to be anything but a sub 500 team, there needs to be a change in philosophy.  A belief that we can compete. That is missing at WB, a program surrounded with winning programs from 1A football to 6A football. ALL within 10-15 miles of WB. The talent is there. The missing piece is confidence and swagger...and that starts with the Coaches, staff,  Administration parents and fans.  WB dodges Alcoa.....then schedules a 1A team? WB is better than that. Alcoa would not be Alcoa, IMO, If it where not for continued competing with Maryville and other tough competition. Plus, the deep desire to always want to get better and be competitive. Coach Lamar at Knoxville West said it best. His team was a favorite the last two years in 5A, only to get knocked off in the 2nd and 3rd round. But, he said he needed to schedule better regular season competition, his team NEEDED it.  He did! The Rebels schedule is brutal.  I guarantee it will pay off.  Right now.....the WB peps posting here give the feeling/attitude of just the opposite?

So, using your logic, what would be the benefit of Alcoa playing William Blount? Wouldn't it be a complete waste of time for Alcoa, in both program's current state, since "iron sharpens iron"? It seems to me you would be better off playing a Greeneville or Elizabethton. Alcoa already does a good job of scheduling non region opponents. Now, the real question is: Are you really interested in WB becoming a better program? If so, playing Alcoa, getting physically beat up, and losing by 50+ points is not going to be beneficial for them .It certainly didn't help them get better by playing Maryville every year and Cleveland, Bradley County and McMinn County the past few years. I consider Maryville to be on the same level as Alcoa. The confidence level has to be a little shaky. If you have coached at all, you do know confidence is a fragile thing that can turn on a dime.  I do agree with your Knox West example. The Rebels should beef up their schedule because they are in the hunt to make deep playoff runs. To be honest, WB is not near that level yet. After looking at the upcoming schedule for the 2021 season, it looks like there are some challenging games and winnable games for the Governors. My hope is they have a good season and can build on it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, FastGunFIfe said:

So, using your logic, what would be the benefit of Alcoa playing William Blount? Wouldn't it be a complete waste of time for Alcoa, in both program's current state, since "iron sharpens iron"? It seems to me you would be better off playing a Greeneville or Elizabethton. Alcoa already does a good job of scheduling non region opponents. Now, the real question is: Are you really interested in WB becoming a better program? If so, playing Alcoa, getting physically beat up, and losing by 50+ points is not going to be beneficial for them .It certainly didn't help them get better by playing Maryville every year and Cleveland, Bradley County and McMinn County the past few years. I consider Maryville to be on the same level as Alcoa. The confidence level has to be a little shaky. If you have coached at all, you do know confidence is a fragile thing that can turn on a dime.  I do agree with your Knox West example. The Rebels should beef up their schedule because they are in the hunt to make deep playoff runs. To be honest, WB is not near that level yet. After looking at the upcoming schedule for the 2021 season, it looks like there are some challenging games and winnable games for the Governors. My hope is they have a good season and can build on it. 

This is a quality post, and as an outsider, couldn’t agree more with everything you said.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1