William Blount getting a little defensive about next year...

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

I'll be honest ,I'm glad they aren't playing each other because it's a waste of money and time to watch. I don't blame the kids or coaches at WB either. It takes investment to put a winning program together and that blame falls at the feet of the county leaders. Shad is a much better coach than his record at WB but from the very start he has been hindered with a cheap budget and the right tools to do this job. That my friend is how the TSSAA should divide the schools up based on those facts not enrollment. Look how dangerous the conditions those schools have gotten in until they had to do something about it because the county is run by good ole boys, especially the one who likes his picture in the paper all the time.

Spot on as usual on using enrollment Mr. Barney. I’ve said for years that someday people will look back and laugh at the fact that we classified schools based on enrollment numbers. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FastGunFIfe said:

So, using your logic, what would be the benefit of Alcoa playing William Blount? Wouldn't it be a complete waste of time for Alcoa, in both program's current state, since "iron sharpens iron"? It seems to me you would be better off playing a Greeneville or Elizabethton. Alcoa already does a good job of scheduling non region opponents. Now, the real question is: Are you really interested in WB becoming a better program? If so, playing Alcoa, getting physically beat up, and losing by 50+ points is not going to be beneficial for them .It certainly didn't help them get better by playing Maryville every year and Cleveland, Bradley County and McMinn County the past few years. I consider Maryville to be on the same level as Alcoa. The confidence level has to be a little shaky. If you have coached at all, you do know confidence is a fragile thing that can turn on a dime.  I do agree with your Knox West example. The Rebels should beef up their schedule because they are in the hunt to make deep playoff runs. To be honest, WB is not near that level yet. After looking at the upcoming schedule for the 2021 season, it looks like there are some challenging games and winnable games for the Governors. My hope is they have a good season and can build on it. 

This....

15 hours ago, FastGunFIfe said:

So, using your logic, what would be the benefit of Alcoa playing William Blount? Wouldn't it be a complete waste of time for Alcoa, in both program's current state, since "iron sharpens iron"? It seems to me you would be better off playing a Greeneville or Elizabethton. Alcoa already does a good job of scheduling non region opponents. Now, the real question is: Are you really interested in WB becoming a better program? If so, playing Alcoa, getting physically beat up, and losing by 50+ points is not going to be beneficial for them .It certainly didn't help them get better by playing Maryville every year and Cleveland, Bradley County and McMinn County the past few years. I consider Maryville to be on the same level as Alcoa. The confidence level has to be a little shaky. If you have coached at all, you do know confidence is a fragile thing that can turn on a dime.  I do agree with your Knox West example. The Rebels should beef up their schedule because they are in the hunt to make deep playoff runs. To be honest, WB is not near that level yet. After looking at the upcoming schedule for the 2021 season, it looks like there are some challenging games and winnable games for the Governors. My hope is they have a good season and can build on it. 

First off I could care less if WB wins, but for only one reason. The Kids/Students and Players that hang out, know each other, grew up together...go to church together, etc. You think they like having Green Back, Maryville and Alcoa players in the same backyard sporting a hand full of state championship rings?....and you go to a school and program smack dab in the middle and the solution is to quit playing those tough teams and look for an easier region?  

The eye open thing for me in this discussion, are the ones that don't "get it"  Yes, WB will probably get hammered. But, it sure is funny if WB or Heritage ties, beats Maryville or Alcoa in a meaningless Jamboree game held each year. Ha. They are excited.  Build on that. The last thing is to purposely avoid competition.  Regardless if its football,  another sport or a situation in life. There will be people that push forward and ones that quit. The most elite military group in this country are the Navy Seals. In their training they go through "heck Week". A training regiment that pushes you to you limit. To be the best or get better you  have to be pushed hard!

Think that can ever happen in a created environment and culture where the plan is to run from competition and find the easy way out?

Again, there will be someone come argue against this, but Im sure that someone has never been pushed or competed at a high level. Fact. 

16 hours ago, FastGunFIfe said:

I agree with everything you said except about Cleveland, McMinn, and Bradley. WB has beaten Cleveland and McMinn in recent years and we had a real chance of beating Bradley Central last year.  So it's not completely accurate to say WB hasn't been competitive with those teams. The fact is WB has closed the gap with the decent to good teams they play. Obviously, the 2020 Cleveland game is a notable exception. That was an awful game for the Govs.

1 hour ago, BCsportsfan said:

It is when one schools has always had 50% + less enrollment! :thumb:

Now BC let's look at the records when Alcoee and Marevul were in the same classification 1927-1976, Before Alcoee dropped to single A in 1977. Shall we ?

Alcoee - 13 wins     

Marevul - 31 wins

Ties - 3

Did not play in 1928, 1935, or 1947.

Looks like more of the same.

Tee Hee Hee

A woman who married a man with dwarfism has spoken of her family's shock -  Wales Online

Edited by MarevulBigGal