William Blount getting a little defensive about next year...

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update after the first week of Spring Practice.

I am convinced these new assistants are the real deal. They seem to be good in scheming X's and O's AND they are good at coaching technique. Should be a really good thing for WB.

Actions are better than words, so I won't say much more about what I have seen with my own eyes other than this team could be interesting to watch next season.

Edited by CrossStateTraveler
Too wordy
  • Like 1

Very glad your all bought in to the new staff and I hope things do change for the better. The schedule as I see it is a 7-3 or 8-2 possibility if they want it bad enough. 7-3 with this schedule seems so real something would have to really go wrong not to pull that off. Looking at the schedule and when fall break happens     ( Shads Vacation ) I see they play D-B which is one of the loses I project so it wouldn't matter if they took a week off or not before it. That's some of the nonsense that's got to change at WB for them to get better as a football team. Most other teams strive to get eleven weeks of practice and even a couple of extra games in the playoffs for the advantage of getting better as a program. Maryville and Alcoa usually get 15 or 16 weeks of practice in a year and that's like sneaking in half a season while someone across town is vacationing right in the middle of it. Another thing that has to change is 15 players playing the entire ballgame, arguing with the officials on every play and all the fights during games which means no team discipline what so ever. That nonsense at the end of the game last year with Heritage is a prime example of what I'm talking about and that has to change.

4 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Very glad your all bought in to the new staff and I hope things do change for the better. The schedule as I see it is a 7-3 or 8-2 possibility if they want it bad enough. 7-3 with this schedule seems so real something would have to really go wrong not to pull that off. Looking at the schedule and when fall break happens     ( Shads Vacation ) I see they play D-B which is one of the loses I project so it wouldn't matter if they took a week off or not before it. That's some of the nonsense that's got to change at WB for them to get better as a football team. Most other teams strive to get eleven weeks of practice and even a couple of extra games in the playoffs for the advantage of getting better as a program. Maryville and Alcoa usually get 15 or 16 weeks of practice in a year and that's like sneaking in half a season while someone across town is vacationing right in the middle of it. Another thing that has to change is 15 players playing the entire ballgame, arguing with the officials on every play and all the fights during games which means no team discipline what so ever. That nonsense at the end of the game last year with Heritage is a prime example of what I'm talking about and that has to change.

I won't address all the points because I am not "taking the bait". 

1. I think depth will be better this year. More kids have come out for spring. If just a couple work out that will help tremendously.

2. I don't disagree with your assessment of final regular season possibilities. One thing to caution is that this team has to actually go do it. I know many of the Seniors on this team, and they hate losing enough to work hard to change it. Weight room gains so far is proving that out. 

3. There are still some wild cards out there that could dramatically help this team. If they all work out (big if) in WB's favor, that 7-3 becomes a harder floor and the 8-2 is a weaker ceiling. Lets have this discussion after week 1 of summer practice in pads.

4. The ending of the Heritage game was unfortunate. Not sure the majority of blame should fall on WB for that one. Still shouldn't happen regardless. Don't think that will be a problem on this team. They respect the rivalry, but they have bigger goals than winning a bell.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, OrangePylon said:

“This has nothing to do with Maryville High School and everything to do with William Blount High School”- Shad today on moving into Region 1

Also said the only time they could play each other was the week after WB plays DB

Didn't say anything about playing Maryville. I was referring to taking time off during football season. Far as the MHS and WB game I'm glad their not playing, tired of wasting money and time to watch a one sided S#*t Show.

FB_IMG_1619960531302.jpg?width=590&heigh

Edited by BarneySox2007

1 hour ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Didn't say anything about playing Maryville. I was referring to taking time off during football season. Far as the MHS and WB game I'm glad their not playing, tired of wasting money and time to watch a one sided S#*t Show.

FB_IMG_1619960531302.jpg?width=590&heigh

I wasn’t replying to you really... but to the people who say MHS and WB should play every year. Great picture btw.

• Upvote 1

On 5/1/2021 at 10:19 AM, BarneySox2007 said:

I'm really wondering if you would say all of this to Coach Shads face. BarneySox2007 stick to discussing football and cut the personal crap out. Its very boring and unbecoming of what a man is considered by many in my world. William Blount is exactly where they need to be schedule wise. They have brought in coaches who are used to coaching in big games, so they are not afraid of Maryville and look forward to playing them in the playoffs. Time will tell, but I am very excited by what I've witnessed during these 2 weeks of spring practice. Go Govs!!!!

7 hours ago, TitanUp2005 said:

I'm really wondering if you would say all of this to Coach Shads face. BarneySox2007 stick to discussing football and cut the personal crap out. Its very boring and unbecoming of what a man is considered by many in my world. William Blount is exactly where they need to be schedule wise. They have brought in coaches who are used to coaching in big games, so they are not afraid of Maryville and look forward to playing them in the playoffs. Time will tell, but I am very excited by what I've witnessed during these 2 weeks of spring practice. Go Govs!!!!

I assume if Barn would say it on here he wouldn't be afraid to say it to his face. Shad's not necessarily the most intimidating guy in the world...

On 5/6/2021 at 11:27 AM, TitanUp2005 said:

I'm sure if I said anything to Shad he would just laugh. Shad is a head coach with much more experience with negative feedback than maybe your generation is used to. One head coach sent me a message saying he looked forward getting a blast from me before he actually got dismissed. Shad was successful where he came from because he had the tools at his side and I'm sure it's not been a bed of roses at the present job having to inch his way there. He reminds me of the guy on Green Acres that moved from New York City to retire and work a farm while having to adopt Ed, Alf & Ralph, Hank Kimble, Mr. Haney, Arnold Ziffel as adopted hired hands as part of the package. That's what Shad ran into when he came aboard and the guy that came with him jumped ship soon as he could. Maybe he has realized the only way this group will win is to play down which I don't blame him at all. Hopefully they will do well this year. Go Govs!!!!!

fDn5K-1536257860-1180-lists-arnoldpig_ma

Edited by BarneySox2007