Schools hiring non-facility head coaches??

CoachAnderson

What classification are non-facility hires more common (1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, Private)?

What school districts is it more common? (Page HS’s former MBB HC (Noe) & current HC (Howard) and current Page HS’s WBB HC is non-facility but I’d be surprised to see other WilCo schools hire non-faculty HC’s). 

Why?
Pro’s? 
Con’s?
Thanks for whatever thoughts shared. 

I can see pros and cons of both.

In WA State (I’m born & raised in Seattle) I’d guess >40% of HC’s I know are non facility. Makes it a lot easier when a HC is fired (sorry, “steps down”) but they’re a great teacher. My HC In HS was out of building (middle school) and he was EXTREMELY successful, including a run of 8 straight state tournaments w/NO D1 players. 

I’ve been active duty U.S. Coast Guard since 1998 and I’ve been fortunate to have simultaneously been a varsity boys assistant since 2001 (except while on loan to the Army 2008-10 as a OIF & OEF UMO). 
I’ve been an assistant at:
•Antilles HS, San Juan Puerto Rico 200–04
•South Kitsap HS, Port Orchard WA 2004-08
•Radford HS, Honolulu HI 2010-14
•Hoggard HS, Wilmington NC 2014-15
•Beech HS, Hendersonville TN 2015-16
•Franklin HS, Franklin TN 2016-current
I’ve also worked multiple camps outside of each HS’s kids camp, including my own in Hawaii, Snow Valley Basketball School & Jamal Crawford Elite 30. 

I have a bachelors degree but no teaching endorsement (I’d need to get my masters upon retiring from active duty). 

I’m not looking for a HC position at this time (I don’t intend on applying for a HC job while on active duty) but whatever information or thoughts shared are appreciated. 

Thanks,
Coach Anderson

7 hours ago, warmachine7954 said:

https://tssaa.org/coaches-education

Here are the requirements.

I appreciate it. I’m aware of the requirements (pretty standard at every state). 

Thoughts on why Principles and AD’s don’t hire non-faculty HC’s more often? And where are you more likely to see non-faculty hires?

A former coach / admin friend of mine said some school admins worry a non-faculty HC could quit 24/7/365 if not working in the school system if they’re not happy with virtually anything. Quitting isn’t in my DNA, so I’ve never considered that rational. 

15 hours ago, CoachAnderson said:

I appreciate it. I’m aware of the requirements (pretty standard at every state). 

Thoughts on why Principles and AD’s don’t hire non-faculty HC’s more often? And where are you more likely to see non-faculty hires?

A former coach / admin friend of mine said some school admins worry a non-faculty HC could quit 24/7/365 if not working in the school system if they’re not happy with virtually anything. Quitting isn’t in my DNA, so I’ve never considered that rational. 

If I had to guess it would be in the metro areas. Memphis definantly does (hard to get a job for an outsider), Jackson might. They have big hopes and dreams but still a small town mentality. I can't speak for Nashville, Chattanooga, Knoxville, etc...

Also, keep in mind it's way eaiser to drop a non-faculty that it would be anyone else. If it doesn't work you can be kicked to the curb with no real issue.

Edited by warmachine7954