Morristown East Football, Can we compete in 6A

EASTFAN

I am very afraid Morristown East is going to take a major setback in its football program this season having to move up and play 6A football. I knew when Slover got the head coaching job two years ago he needed to improve the physicality of East offensive and Defensive lines. Coach Solver has done a great job the past two seasons installing his spread offense, but he has failed at improving East’s defense, especially against the run. Even in a Covid-19 seasons, Morristown East could score with just about anybody the played along as the offensive line played well. But the games East’s lost last year were directly related to terrible defense and our offense line getting whipped up front by the other team’s defensive line. At the high school level, you must be able to stop the run, and East could not stop anybody last year. To tell the Truth, East has not stopped anybody from run the football the last 6 or 7 years. I want to give Coach Solver some correct for improving East offensive the last two years, but I was not a really big fan of the coaching hire then and my concerns are even higher now with having to play 6A football. East does not have the kind of Athletes to match most of the school in 6A or even there size up front. The only shot of being competitive is to be a whole lot stronger up front were our lack of team speed in certain positions does not bite us in the tail. I have not seen the improvement in are offseason weightlifting program I thought I would see under Solver. Depending on what is going on currently in our weight room and what kind of QB play East gets, is going to determine if East’s can be competitive in any games this year. I know what happen to Morristown West having to play a 6A schedule the past few years, but they at least could hold their own on the lines of scrimmage. Morristown West issues where they could not stop the pass against anybody, not enough speed, or athletes to match 6A -5A spread offenses WR. I really want East to have a good season the fall and will support the football program in anyway I can. I just wish coach Solver were a little more open and willing to change the off-season weightlifting program, because what you have been doing is not going to work at the 6A level. Please do not be afraid to bring in an outside athletic trainer to help you get this off-season conditioning problem fixed. I know the Booster Club and supporters like myself would be willing to help pay for it if you just ask. Go East!

• Like 1

Not to be a Negative Nellie, but I would think East is going to struggle in 6A.

@ Morristown West    (50/50)
@ Knoxville Halls     (LOSS)
Dobyns-Bennett  (LOSS)
Campbell County   (50/50)
@ Jefferson County  (50/50)
Science Hill  (LOSS)
Cocke County   (WIN)
@ West Ridge  (50/50)
Greeneville   (LOSS)
William Blount  (LOSS)

On 4/4/2021 at 7:39 PM, blazer1set said:

Not to be a Negative Nellie, but I would think East is going to struggle in 6A.

@ Morristown West    (50/50)
@ Knoxville Halls     (LOSS)
Dobyns-Bennett  (LOSS)
Campbell County   (50/50)
@ Jefferson County  (50/50)
Science Hill  (LOSS)
Cocke County   (WIN)
@ West Ridge  (50/50)
Greeneville   (LOSS)
William Blount  (LOSS)

Let's be honest and say that the schedule posted above is not extremely difficult.  

First of all yes it will be tough for East in 6A football with the size difference in schools they will be playing.  That is a tough conference and the program has gained some footing under Coach Slover.  What I am curious about is why "EastFan" continues to be critical of East and its program.  For the last 20 years your post have always been critical of coaches, scheme, and players.  You are not a supporter you are someone who likes to stir the pot and criticize coaches.  Let me ask EastFan: How many years have you coached and if you have coached at what level?  You seem to have all the answers for the last 20 years but have never been on staff at East I assume.  I would think with your expertise on football, off-season program as well as player development someone would have hired you by now.  Are the number of athletes in Morristown as many as what use to be there I would say no.  Is it gonna be tough to play in 6A yes it will be.  I wish the East program the best of luck and if I was Coach Slover I would find "EastFan" and get him on staff ASAP.  

7 hours ago, cbg said:

Let's be honest and say that the schedule posted above is not extremely difficult.  

It may not be difficult but the last few years East has not been good, so I would guess 4-6 is the best you can hope for unless something has drastically changed since last year.

On 4/7/2021 at 1:15 PM, Hurricane4life said:

First of all yes it will be tough for East in 6A football with the size difference in schools they will be playing.  That is a tough conference and the program has gained some footing under Coach Slover.  What I am curious about is why "EastFan" continues to be critical of East and its program.  For the last 20 years your post have always been critical of coaches, scheme, and players.  You are not a supporter you are someone who likes to stir the pot and criticize coaches.  Let me ask EastFan: How many years have you coached and if you have coached at what level?  You seem to have all the answers for the last 20 years but have never been on staff at East I assume.  I would think with your expertise on football, off-season program as well as player development someone would have hired you by now.  Are the number of athletes in Morristown as many as what use to be there I would say no.  Is it gonna be tough to play in 6A yes it will be.  I wish the East program the best of luck and if I was Coach Slover I would find "EastFan" and get him on staff ASAP.  

For starters, I have been posting roughly 15 years, but I do appreciate your honest opinion on me being so critical of the past coaching staff. Just to give you a little background on myself. I was very involved with the East School football boosters club roughly 16 years ago. I had a great relationship with Coach Hatcher when he was head coach at East. I would email him during the off-season about how the team was doing and how off-season conditioning program was going. I really respected Coach Hatcher for taking the time during the off-season just to communicate with me about the program, when I did not have a son playing. Yes, I probably could do a better job than some of the Head Coaches Morristown East has had lately, but as an educated man, I understand coaching requires a lot of patience and time commitment. I work in the production engineer field since I graduated from college, so finding time to help coach with my work and traveling schedule is just not in the cards for me now. If you feel I am only stirring the pot on Coach T, you could be right. I have talked to school board members, past principles, even some of the past head coaches face to face and man to man about the very thing you see in my post. Most people know who I am that follow East high Football, and I bet you probably know me as well. I completely understand the limitations Coach Solver is under now with the lack of Athletes Morristown East use to have flowing through the school hallways. My only concern with Coach Solver is he does not have the wining resume to fall back on when you are trying to build a program. I am very impress with his offensive mind, but wining or know how to win is something he is still learning how to do. Morristown West went out and hire Don Woods from Alabama and we all know how that turned out. I want what is best for the program even though I may not go about it in the right way. Do you feel I am wrong with what I see from East offseason condition program? If you have some better suggestion on helping the offseason condition program, please let us know. 

11 hours ago, EASTFAN said:

For starters, I have been posting roughly 15 years, but I do appreciate your honest opinion on me being so critical of the past coaching staff. Just to give you a little background on myself. I was very involved with the East School football boosters club roughly 16 years ago. I had a great relationship with Coach Hatcher when he was head coach at East. I would email him during the off-season about how the team was doing and how off-season conditioning program was going. I really respected Coach Hatcher for taking the time during the off-season just to communicate with me about the program, when I did not have a son playing. Yes, I probably could do a better job than some of the Head Coaches Morristown East has had lately, but as an educated man, I understand coaching requires a lot of patience and time commitment. I work in the production engineer field since I graduated from college, so finding time to help coach with my work and traveling schedule is just not in the cards for me now. If you feel I am only stirring the pot on Coach T, you could be right. I have talked to school board members, past principles, even some of the past head coaches face to face and man to man about the very thing you see in my post. Most people know who I am that follow East high Football, and I bet you probably know me as well. I completely understand the limitations Coach Solver is under now with the lack of Athletes Morristown East use to have flowing through the school hallways. My only concern with Coach Solver is he does not have the wining resume to fall back on when you are trying to build a program. I am very impress with his offensive mind, but wining or know how to win is something he is still learning how to do. Morristown West went out and hire Don Woods from Alabama and we all know how that turned out. I want what is best for the program even though I may not go about it in the right way. Do you feel I am wrong with what I see from East offseason condition program? If you have some better suggestion on helping the offseason condition program, please let us know. 

hey man we all seem to critique our own schools to the nth degree, I do the same for Boone and get criticism on here for it...  And to a degree our critics are right, we don't want to be negative on our own schools all the time, but at the same time you can't just always pretend that everything is ok when it isn't.    For example, year in and year out Boone cannot cover a kickoff return against a good team, if they have a speedster back there we get burned every single time on the return.   Yet what do we normally do??    Yeah that's right, we kick directly to the guy who we know is going to burn us.    I point this out every year and get criticized on here, but one thing the critics cannot deny is that we keep doing the same stupid thing over and over.   BTW, I levy this charge against the coaching staff, the kicker just puts the ball wherever they are told.   So when you point out things against East you will get hammered for it.    WaCoJaCo rags on DB's coaches all the time on here, he has a ton of statistics to back it up, and yet he routinely gets roasted for not being a true DB fan.

In the end we all want the best from our respective schools.    We (Boone) do not play you guys this year so as a Blazer fan I am wishing you a 10-0 season!

On 4/9/2021 at 9:32 AM, blazer1set said:

hey man we all seem to critique our own schools to the nth degree, I do the same for Boone and get criticism on here for it...  And to a degree our critics are right, we don't want to be negative on our own schools all the time, but at the same time you can't just always pretend that everything is ok when it isn't.    For example, year in and year out Boone cannot cover a kickoff return against a good team, if they have a speedster back there we get burned every single time on the return.   Yet what do we normally do??    Yeah that's right, we kick directly to the guy who we know is going to burn us.    I point this out every year and get criticized on here, but one thing the critics cannot deny is that we keep doing the same stupid thing over and over.   BTW, I levy this charge against the coaching staff, the kicker just puts the ball wherever they are told.   So when you point out things against East you will get hammered for it.    WaCoJaCo rags on DB's coaches all the time on here, he has a ton of statistics to back it up, and yet he routinely gets roasted for not being a true DB fan.

In the end we all want the best from our respective schools.    We (Boone) do not play you guys this year so as a Blazer fan I am wishing you a 10-0 season!

I appreciate you understanding were I am coming from. It is never about the kids whom are giving their hearts out ever Friday night for our schools. It always starts at the top when you see year after years of terrible results on the field, when their is enough talent on both of our teams to go at least 5-5. I probably should back off on complaining about the Head Coaching hirer, because I do think they have finally back into a good one in Slover. The administration at East High and School board needs to step up and provide the needed support Coach Solver needs. He has his hand full having to play 6A football, that is why I have been pushing so hard on getting a paid trainer for the offseason conditioning program. If East is going to complete at all in 6A, it has to start in the weight room.