Karly Weathers has committed to Alabama Crimson Tide

gogold

on Vol Nation, multiple people said that her family are Bama fans, so this is not a surprise. Belmont and Alabama were her first offers. Kellie Harper did recruit her but in the end Karly saw herself being at Alabama. The way that the transfer portal is dominating the college basketball scene, who knows? She may transfer after 1 or 2 years..... you never know

4 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

Not everybody in this state wants to play for Tennessee. Her older brother did commit to Vanderbilt. So, her and her family may not be Tennessee fans. 

Vanderbilt and Tennessee baseball two different animals when he went to Vanderbilt. If I had a child that was getting D-1 offers, I wouldn’t send her to play basketball at Tennessee right now. 

Edited by pioneer42

2 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

Vanderbilt and Tennessee baseball two different animals when he went to Vanderbilt. If I had a child that was getting D-1 offers, I wouldn’t send her to play basketball at Tennessee right now. 

Understandable from the baseball perspective. Just saying that they might not be Volunteer fans. Also, Harper isn’t obligated to recruit the best talent in Tennessee. If she believes player A is better than Weathers, then she feels like she has to do what’s best for the program. Recruiting in basketball is different than football.

10 hours ago, FootballFan51 said:

This is a classic response here! LOL

Miss read the quote and it was my bad.  That was a lol 

I miss read the quote and it was my bad !  It was a lol !

10 hours ago, FootballFan51 said:

This is a classic response here! LOL

I miss read the Qua

• Upvote 1

On 4/10/2021 at 9:17 PM, pioneer42 said:

Got ya. He committed there but never made it right??

The process of getting to where you wish to be in baseball and basketball are completely different. Baseball has many different pathways according to talent and maturity... some kids are better off going to a community college first, some to a major college program, and some straight to the pro ranks. If you can secure a good signing bonus/contract, the minor league system develops players just as does the academic route, without the "distraction" of maintaining grades. Vanderbilt IMO, is the premier program for pitchers (in the educational system) in the entire country, but if you're an obvious MLB caliber player with a lucrative contract offer, why not get paid?

Basketball kids have the one obvious pathway, and outliers (especially female) are a rarity. The Weathers' have more experience in making these decisions than 99.9 percent of the population, and I'd bet that matching up her talent with opportunity and environment had more to do with the 'Tide signing her than just fandom. 

From a dyed in the wool orange fan, I truly wish her the best... she's earned it.

Edited by tradertwo

8 hours ago, tradertwo said:

The process of getting to where you wish to be in baseball and basketball are completely different. Baseball has many different pathways according to talent and maturity... some kids are better off going to a community college first, some to a major college program, and some straight to the pro ranks. If you can secure a good signing bonus/contract, the minor league system develops players just as does the academic route, without the "distraction" of maintaining grades. Vanderbilt IMO, is the premier program for pitchers (in the educational system) in the entire country, but if you're an obvious MLB caliber player with a lucrative contract offer, why not get paid?

Basketball kids have the one obvious pathway, and outliers (especially female) are a rarity. The Weathers' have more experience in making these decisions than 99.9 percent of the population, and I'd bet that matching up her talent with opportunity and environment had more to do with the 'Tide signing her than just fandom. 

From a died in the wool orange fan, I truly wish her the best... she's earned it.

I agree!! I forgot he didn’t play the first inning at Vandy. I had thought for some odd reason he had played there.