Karly Weathers has committed to Alabama Crimson Tide

gogold

On 4/9/2021 at 8:39 AM, gogold said:

Whether it is Vol football, basketball, baseball invest the time to get to know these Tennessee kids and what they can do for your university.  No one will play harder for the Orange than a kid that comes from this state.  It's not only talent, but it's pride.  Harper did not do that and she of all coaches should remember what it's like to play for their home state.  Holly's teams were lazy and played as individuals and that's why she's gone.  She had no control of her team.  Kelly has changed some of that, but you are right, not all of it.  She'll get a couple more years to correct it, but it goes to my point, if there's very good talent in state, why not bring it to UT !  I think because of pride, they will work harder than most kids you bring in out of state.

I have to look at this a little different. Karly chose to go where she felt would best fit her. Choosing a college to play for is not like when we were in high school. The winning powerhouses have changed and so have the way recruiting goes. My daughter plays basketball and likes Tennessee but she absolutely loves Baylor. If she had the option to play for either she would choose Baylor, even though they just lost their coach and hired a new one. It is about the style of play as much as the school fit and major the athlete is choosing. If we see Holly’s teams were selfish and didn’t play as a team don’t you think the athletes that are watching the games see that as well? I know my daughter sees it. She breaks down the style of play as well as the plays the run and does this just from tv. So if my freshman has been doing this for 5-6 years now I am pretty sure that Karly was doing the exact same thing. I promise a kid from Tennessee will not play harder for Tennessee because of pride just because they live here. They play harder for a team they believe in and feel valued in. Jmo 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TheHill said:

Let's be real honest here people...Pat made a living winning national titles while recruiting nationally...check the roster in the 90s and 2000s...see how many Tennessee girls she recruited.

1990 -   4 tennessee ladies on team Nikki Caldwell headed that group                                                              1991 -   7  tennessee girls on this team  Tiffnay Woosley, Nikki Caldwell, Nikki McCray head this group    1992 -   7 tennessee girls on this team  Woosley, Caldwell, McCray, add Latina Davis and Michelle Johnson to this group

1993     6  Girls from Tennessee on this team

1994      6 Girls from Tennessee on this team

Couple of National Championships out of these groups.   Not too bad with some home grown players from ole Tennessee.  Tennessee players will always play harder for their school.  Pride will always be a driving force.  Just look at what Tennessee baseball is doing with a lot of players from our home state.  If Tennessee had pushed hard, I believe Karly maybe wearing orange next year, but I'll cheer her on in the Crimson colors.

5 hours ago, TheHill said:

Let's be real honest here people...Pat made a living winning national titles while recruiting nationally...check the roster in the 90s and 2000s...see how many Tennessee girls she recruited.

Let’s be real honest here. Harper needs to get to work this year because team last year looked like they had on rubber boots they were so slow and lazy. Players had no problem kneeling and expressing their political views on their gear. I will be the first to tell you my blood runs deep orange but if I had a really good D-1 player Tennessee would be the last place she would go. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

Let’s be real honest here. Harper needs to get to work this year because team last year looked like they had on rubber boots they were so slow and lazy. Players had no problem kneeling and expressing their political views on their gear. I will be the first to tell you my blood runs deep orange but if I had a really good D-1 player Tennessee would be the last place she would go. 

I'd like to see her represent the Orange in Knoxville !  I'm not happy with Harper because of some of the exact things your saying.  The one that did not kneel was a Tennessee kid and that's one of the reasons if the player is good enough and she's from this state  "go get her" !  If Harper don't get it going, she'll be going.  White will not take a middle of the road Lady Vols program.  With that said the Weekley's seat in softball may be getting a little warm.

50 minutes ago, gogold said:

I'd like to see her represent the Orange in Knoxville !  I'm not happy with Harper because of some of the exact things your saying.  The one that did not kneel was a Tennessee kid and that's one of the reasons if the player is good enough and she's from this state  "go get her" !  If Harper don't get it going, she'll be going.  White will not take a middle of the road Lady Vols program.  With that said the Weekley's seat in softball may be getting a little warm.

Weakly’s can’t handle pressure and are slappers. Need some hitters to swing the bat and work pitchers and get hitter’s pitches. They press big time and try too hard. Need some new blood running it. Girl that stood up I have the utmost respect for. I sent her a personal message on Facebook. She didn’t play her enough. She hustles ten times better than the others. Hard to change the culture after you let the prisoners run the asylum. 

6 hours ago, gogold said:

Tennessee players will always play harder for their school.  Pride will always be a driving force.  Just look at what Tennessee baseball is doing with a lot of players from our home state.  If Tennessee had pushed hard, I believe Karly maybe wearing orange next year, but I'll cheer her on in the Crimson colors.

I can contribute only one thing to this conversation that is fact and not opinion...Evan Russell grew up a Tennessee fan, and always said that given his choice of anyplace to play, it would be Knoxville. He did not have his pick of any school he wanted, but the school he wanted to play for wanted him. Evan is the type of young man who would work and play his heart out for wherever he was, but I can guarantee you that it just means a little more for him to put on that orange jersey and the cap with the big power "T". 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tradertwo said:

I can contribute only one thing to this conversation that is fact and not opinion...Evan Russell grew up a Tennessee fan, and always said that given his choice of anyplace to play, it would be Knoxville. He did not have his pick of any school he wanted, but the school he wanted to play for wanted him. Evan is the type of young man who would work and play his heart out for wherever he was, but I can guarantee you that it just means a little more for him to put on that orange jersey and the cap with the big power "T". 

Amen !