COVINGTON FOOTBALL - ARTIFICIAL TURF PLANNED

CHARGERFAN

26 minutes ago, ManOfMillions said:

I completely understand both sides of the argument. I am just personally not a fan. There still is maintenance that has to be performed on the turf and the cost to have it installed is expensive. If turf is what Covington wants, I am happy for y'all. Just simply sharing my thoughts about the injuries, expense, it is not maintenance free... 

SGC coaches do not have to paint the field or the mascot each week. We have a group of parents ( that are totally awesome! ) that volunteer to do it every week that we play on the field. We really need 2 fields to play on honestly. Our field gets abused during the fall....

Not taking a stab, I promise. Just sharing my thoughts. 

If it rains on a Tuesday morning in September, South Gibson will have the luxury of moving their women's soccer game to a turf field and not have to worry about postponing the game to a later date. The problem that South Gibson has is the same problem that a lot of schools are dealing with across our state. The high school JV team will play on Monday nights, with the freshman/middle school program playing on Thursday nights (and an occasional Tuesday here and there).

I like turf, I don't think it should be avoided because the fear of an ACL tear. In addition, players and teams should adjust the length of their cleats based of the turf. Yes, having a grass field is amazing to have in August and September. But, I'd rather have a turf field in November, than a grass field in August. That's just me. You mentioned that the maintenance could be expensive... Is it that much more expensive than fertilization, watering the field, mowing the field constantly, and painting the field? That stuff adds up as well. Along, you can worry about the maintenance of the turf field in January/February, when the only sport that is in season mode is in the gym. I know we have different opinions. Would Milan's stadium look as nice as it is now with a grass field and not turf? Just curious.

4 minutes ago, TryNotToSuck said:

If it rains on a Tuesday morning in September, South Gibson will have the luxury of moving their women's soccer game to a turf field and not have to worry about postponing the game to a later date. The problem that South Gibson has is the same problem that a lot of schools are dealing with across our state. The high school JV team will play on Monday nights, with the freshman/middle school program playing on Thursday nights (and an occasional Tuesday here and there).

I like turf, I don't think it should be avoided because the fear of an ACL tear. In addition, players and teams should adjust the length of their cleats based of the turf. Yes, having a grass field is amazing to have in August and September. But, I'd rather have a turf field in November, than a grass field in August. That's just me. You mentioned that the maintenance could be expensive... Is it that much more expensive than fertilization, watering the field, mowing the field constantly, and painting the field? That stuff adds up as well. Along, you can worry about the maintenance of the turf field in January/February, when the only sport that is in season mode is in the gym. I know we have different opinions. Would Milan's stadium look as nice as it is now with a grass field and not turf? Just curious.

Umm, if science can prove that playing on turf means you have 2x more likely hood of injury... yea, that is concerning to me. I am not going to put the health of kids over the inconvenience, maintenance, or continued cost of a natural playing surface. 

Not really a fair question.. Milan did not just get a new turf field. They got almost a complete stadium overhaul. The grand stands on the home side will rival Bethel college. 

I am not completely against turf. I see the side of the argument that turf is better. I am just not personally a fan of it. The maintenance of turf is for sure lower that what it takes to maintain a grass field. I think that goes without mention. I just think that turf wars have become an arms race that is probably not needed in most small communities. I happen to like seeing a few games played in the mud, or on worn out fields... Just my thoughts. 

3 hours ago, 802Tomcat said:

Well get ready to add Haywood to the list it is a done deal.

Good, I hope they can get it done. 

I do not think anyone will be putting SGC on that list any time soon. In order for us to get a turf field the other end of the district would have to get a helicopter and personal jet or something.... 

Bids on turf will be taken for Sequatchie. High school, middle school, little league football all on the field, some school activities, wears it out. Soccer field has no lights so they can also go there, middle school and high school teams. Short term expense but long term benefit. 

• 1 month later...