Shooting at Austin-East...very SAD!

16 hours ago, 32hammer said:

I responding respectfully and I hope it comes across that way.  If it does not, I apologize.  I've worked with thousands of kids over the last 30 years from every economic, racial and social demographic one could imagine. I've never seen a child with a great father or even a good father,  end up being a life long loser. Not saying the any child , no matter the quality of parents,  won't make mistakes, have set backs, maybe even slightly go off the rails but never to the point beyond return and certainly not to the point of killing numerous innocent people for no reason.

Having said that, my definition of a great father probably has a much higher standard than others.  I will never believe a great father will raise a child that goes on a random killing spree, especially of children.  Was the father a great example of a Christ-like leader in his home, at work, in public, caring and faithful to his wife, was he dedicated to his extended family, his church, his community , his country, was he hard working, honest and trust worthy? Did he carry the weight of his families burdens without compliant? Was he the kind of person other honorable men wanted to be around sought advice from and even deferred to?  Did he lead by example , did he walk the walk even in private and even in front of those closest to him and those that lived with him ? Were his actions, motives and habits always  above doubt? 

Again, I say this as respectfully as I can, but a father like that would never raise a monstrous coward that would go on a mass shooting spree of innocent children.

I admire your idealism, but I just don’t think that’s how it works. Many a decent man has beget many a bad seed, and vice versa. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, 32hammer said:

I responding respectfully and I hope it comes across that way.  If it does not, I apologize.  I've worked with thousands of kids over the last 30 years from every economic, racial and social demographic one could imagine. I've never seen a child with a great father or even a good father,  end up being a life long loser. Not saying the any child , no matter the quality of parents,  won't make mistakes, have set backs, maybe even slightly go off the rails but never to the point beyond return and certainly not to the point of killing numerous innocent people for no reason.

Having said that, my definition of a great father probably has a much higher standard than others.  I will never believe a great father will raise a child that goes on a random killing spree, especially of children.  Was the father a great example of a Christ-like leader in his home, at work, in public, caring and faithful to his wife, was he dedicated to his extended family, his church, his community , his country, was he hard working, honest and trust worthy? Did he carry the weight of his families burdens without compliant? Was he the kind of person other honorable men wanted to be around sought advice from and even deferred to?  Did he lead by example , did he walk the walk even in private and even in front of those closest to him and those that lived with him ? Were his actions, motives and habits always  above doubt? 

Again, I say this as respectfully as I can, but a father like that would never raise a monstrous coward that would go on a mass shooting spree of innocent children.

Your words would be more accurate if you used words such as "less likely" instead of "never." At any rate, your point is understood.

Edited by Americal198
Clarity

3 hours ago, MSURacer said:

I admire your idealism, but I just don’t think that’s how it works. Many a decent man has beget many a bad seed, and vice versa. 

I respect your opinion. And I'm sure there are exceptions to everything.  However as I stated I have quite a bit of experience working with incredibly diverse children and I've never seen it happen.  While everyone is entitled to an opinion and I appreciate civil discussion,  objective evidence supports that a strong, Christian father in the household leading by example is the single largest factor in not only a child's likelihood of success( depending on ones definition of success) but absolutely in preventing a child from committing heinous crimes against humanity. 

To your point about my idealism, I've witnessed it repeatedly since the 1960s. So for seven decades I've never witnessed a great father producing an awful child. Again that speaks to objective evidence more than an idealized opinion. 

Just my thoughts

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Americal198 said:

Your words would be more accurate if you used words such as "less likely" instead of "never." At any rate, your point is understood.

Thank you sir. 

I'm sure there are exceptions to everything.  And I'm not arrogant enough to think I'm always right. 

As I stated before in 7 seven decades of interacting with thousands of families ever year, I've never witnessed a great father produce a child that is capable of committing a heinous crime such as a mass shooting.   So based on the objective evidence I have been exposed to in my lifetime I chose the word "never."  A better phase may have been "almost impossible " or "incredibly unlikely "

Thanks for your thought and the civility you used in expressing them

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 32hammer said:

I respect your opinion. And I'm sure there are exceptions to everything.  However as I stated I have quite a bit of experience working with incredibly diverse children and I've never seen it happen.  While everyone is entitled to an opinion and I appreciate civil discussion,  objective evidence supports that a strong, Christian father in the household leading by example is the single largest factor in not only a child's likelihood of success( depending on ones definition of success) but absolutely in preventing a child from committing heinous crimes against humanity. 

To your point about my idealism, I've witnessed it repeatedly since the 1960s. So for seven decades I've never witnessed a great father producing an awful child. Again that speaks to objective evidence more than an idealized opinion. 

Just my thoughts

Your “objective evidence” is purely anecdotal though. A child raised in a two parent household indeed has a much better likelihood of success for a multitude of reasons, but you’ve injected your own religious dogma into the equation. 

Edited by MSURacer

53 minutes ago, MSURacer said:

Your “objective evidence” is purely anecdotal though. A child raised in a two parent household indeed has a much better likelihood of success for a multitude of reasons, but you’ve injected your own religious dogma into the equation. 

His religious connection has merit... even the behavioral therapist's who do not believe in Christianity agree that applied Christian principals positively affect behavior. As for the rest, the mere presence of a male figure in the household staggeringly increases young males (females too, but less dramatic) chances of becoming productive members of society, as well as lessening the odds of them ever being incarcerated. Denzel Washington, Morgan Freeman, and many others are very outspoken in their beliefs that perfectly align with what 32hammer is saying, and have much research & specific data to back it up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tradertwo said:

His religious connection has merit... even the behavioral therapist's who do not believe in Christianity agree that applied Christian principals positively affect behavior. As for the rest, the mere presence of a male figure in the household staggeringly increases young males (females too, but less dramatic) chances of becoming productive members of society, as well as lessening the odds of them ever being incarcerated. Denzel Washington, Morgan Freeman, and many others are very outspoken in their beliefs that perfectly align with what 32hammer is saying, and have much research & specific data to back it up.

Another well thought out factual post!

1 hour ago, tradertwo said:

Wouldn't hurt to have some research and specific data to back it up...

But y'all aren't interested in facts.  If you were we'd be having discussions about the latest TBI revelations.