AC Mavs 2021

Djohnson

You said it,DB looked the part, they had skill players and big OL/DL kids.  I saw them getting off the 3 busses they brought, and thought they had brought an army.  The JV freshman players headed to the top field and Varsity stayed on the game field.  I thought this was great because all the kids got to play and parents got to see their kids play instead of standing on the sideline waiting for the JV period.  The Mavs took control early running the football.  Gavin Noe was very hard to get down.  The OL had to be commended again for moving the Kingsport DL and creating lanes for Noe and Moog.  Martinez had another really good day. he completed passes to Vowell, Miller, Terry, Russell, Shannon, Braden, Davis, Phillips, and Zeke West.  West had been kind of quiet the last scrimmage, but really came on tonight. He is another 6'2 receiver that made some very athletic catches, and took one right between the safeties breaking two tackles for a 60 yard touchdown.   Defensively, the Mavericks just shut the run game down, and 36 had a pick 6 early to set the tone for the game.  The Mavericks rotated secondary players every other series, and Miller and Terry were lock down at the corner position. I don't remember DB completing a pass on the outsides.    My count was 6-1 Mavs, but it was a scrimmage, and I am sure there are folks who don't put stock in scrimmages just like they don't put stock in 7v7.  Both are valuable, and the 7v7 definitely has helped the Mavs throw the football more efficiently this summer.  I was surprised to see the run game go like it did tonight. I think everyone knows the Mavs can throw the football, and I can go ahead and make a press release that they can run the football as well.  Noe and Moog are a tough duo. They aren't gonna out run ya to the endzone, but you won't want to tackle either of them over and over again.  The both have to weigh 220 , and just seem to get vertical when they run.   DB has players, and a great staff that will get them right as they enter their season. They are a powerhouse and I think they will do well as they get into their season.  The Mavericks were just too much for them tonight.  Great crowd for a scrimmage, the live camera shots on the Megatron were spectacular, with a sideline cam and a camera up top playing the game live on the big screen.  We all know what is waiting across the hill at Powell, but I can't wait to watch. It was a barn burner last season, and I expect nothing short of that again this season.   

23 minutes ago, olhickory said:

You said it,DB looked the part, they had skill players and big OL/DL kids.  I saw them getting off the 3 busses they brought, and thought they had brought an army.  The JV freshman players headed to the top field and Varsity stayed on the game field.  I thought this was great because all the kids got to play and parents got to see their kids play instead of standing on the sideline waiting for the JV period.  The Mavs took control early running the football.  Gavin Noe was very hard to get down.  The OL had to be commended again for moving the Kingsport DL and creating lanes for Noe and Moog.  Martinez had another really good day. he completed passes to Vowell, Miller, Terry, Russell, Shannon, Braden, Davis, Phillips, and Zeke West.  West had been kind of quiet the last scrimmage, but really came on tonight. He is another 6'2 receiver that made some very athletic catches, and took one right between the safeties breaking two tackles for a 60 yard touchdown.   Defensively, the Mavericks just shut the run game down, and 36 had a pick 6 early to set the tone for the game.  The Mavericks rotated secondary players every other series, and Miller and Terry were lock down at the corner position. I don't remember DB completing a pass on the outsides.    My count was 6-1 Mavs, but it was a scrimmage, and I am sure there are folks who don't put stock in scrimmages just like they don't put stock in 7v7.  Both are valuable, and the 7v7 definitely has helped the Mavs throw the football more efficiently this summer.  I was surprised to see the run game go like it did tonight. I think everyone knows the Mavs can throw the football, and I can go ahead and make a press release that they can run the football as well.  Noe and Moog are a tough duo. They aren't gonna out run ya to the endzone, but you won't want to tackle either of them over and over again.  The both have to weigh 220 , and just seem to get vertical when they run.   DB has players, and a great staff that will get them right as they enter their season. They are a powerhouse and I think they will do well as they get into their season.  The Mavericks were just too much for them tonight.  Great crowd for a scrimmage, the live camera shots on the Megatron were spectacular, with a sideline cam and a camera up top playing the game live on the big screen.  We all know what is waiting across the hill at Powell, but I can't wait to watch. It was a barn burner last season, and I expect nothing short of that again this season.   

Excellent report.

1 hour ago, olhickory said:

Spectacular Updates Olhickory. Glad to see Mavs are looking Great! Can't wait to see the Powell game! Mavs need to go 1 and 0 after just missing last year. Thank You Again!!

• 2 weeks later...

Mavs Need to work on.

Kicking
Tackling
Defense Pass rush
Conditioning

And I going say most of that was second half...for the most part.

We have excellent WR and QB
Our Running backs have some awesome moves. I liked it when Walter N. Left in his shoes with those moves from Noe. That was sweet.
Kick returns Terry was awesome!!!! Shannon and Vowell and Miller had some outstanding Great catch plays. Was surprised we did not utilize some speed options with Vowell. The OL and the Backs Noe. moog was some of the best North South running I have seen.
OL Overall did a great job with only one week to prepare for Powell Nolen. And I think we contained him pretty darn well. I would not ask anything better. Offensive Play call from my Nephew HC was as about as good as you can get. I am thinking we my not have the depth I was so hopping for. Powell 60points I will have to say we have some work to do on the big D..many Powell play should or could have been a loss. Powell was huge offensive line and our defense managed to keep Potts. running. Secondary is open too much. And yet we hae some opportunities in that area. AND LETS NOW GO to PUNT KICK COVERAGE. We are really in trouble here and this will take some time. And biggest reason again IMO is wrapping up on tackling. 

1 thing that stands out to me is Tackling! Please let add a fundamental...Don't wait for the player to come to you it's then too late. Anticipation will not work; Execution works.

Edited by Mavericksinflight

5 minutes ago, JMorton said:

That’s a shocking amount of points. Was it that the offenses were that good or the defenses were that bad? 

It came down to Powell secondary defense unable to stop the big AC pass play in a nut shell.

For AC it came down to two things IMO hand tackling and late execution on the run...then you can throw in speed but we ran a couple down a still almost missed tackle. Just in my opinion.

30 minutes ago, Mavericksinflight said:

It came down to Powell secondary defense unable to stop the big AC pass play in a nut shell.

For AC it came down to two things IMO hand tackling and late execution on the run...then you can throw in speed but we ran a couple down a still almost missed tackle. Just in my opinion.

This early in the season sloppy tackling is to be expected. A lot of teams don’t get to take people to the ground in practice and it usually shows up early on.