AC Mavs 2021

Djohnson

DJ, Good observation.  52, 54, 55, and 58 were all really good football players for the Mavs, I will agree with you there.  You know our program well enough to know that we lose really good players every year.  Those guys will be missed, but they generally played half a game if that during the last season as the Mavs ran rough shod on the region last season.  I will agree that may have hurt them when they had to play a whole game against South Doyle and Greeneville, but hats off to those two teams for finding last play touchdowns to win those games.  The Mavs are never low on big OL kids, (Sexton, Bulluck, Davis, Nelson, Mays, Noe, Cain, and Caylor all got Friday night snaps) , and Coach GIllum will have them ready.  Qb, Martinez hasn't had to be a runner.  He sits in the pocket and throws dimes most of the time.  My guys tell me he has worked extremely hard this off season with Coach Gillum to improve his pocket awareness and ability to move in the pocket.  Coach Gillum has had some very good QB play the last 10 years, and this will be no different.  This year, Coach Gillum, will have the Noe and Moog, both 200+ pound wrecking balls to run the football as well.  He has three BIG TE body kids, and I would look for them to use them as well.  Everyone loses great players each year, and I think the Mavs will be fine up front, and that Coach Gillum will continue to have a high powered offense.  

• 2 weeks later...

Maverick Fans got to watch Anderson County's CodeBlue 7v7 team win  the Battle of the BullRing Tourney this weekend.  They went undefeated on the day with some very talented East Tennessee teams. This looks to be another very talented group of skill players that went 2 deep.  I saw CodeBlue run two huddle  sets of skill players most of the tourney rotating every play.  Martinez was as good as I have seen him.  Defensively, the corners were just tenacious giving up nothing easy.   I know some will say 7v7 isn't football, but it is very good competition and the Mavericks got plenty of that from Bobby Maze new team who had kids from all over the East Tennessee area. The BlackHeart team from Knoxville was very talented as well as the ETE team who I have seen a few times. I recognized some of the names from the different teams, and there was a ton of talent on the field.   I may be wrong, but this is another very talented team and we are all very excited to see them play this season with full crowds. The AD posted a picture of a HUGE jumbotron this week, and the the framing and poles are in the ground, and ready for the board to deliver.  It is rumored to be the biggest in East Tennessee.  The Maverick boosters really stepped up on this one, and it should be a great addition to the wild and crazy Friday night atmosphere we already have.   I will post some pictures as soon as the board is hung up.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Mavericks turned on the "MegaTron" the other day.  It is impressive.  They are waiting on the top piece and the side ad panels to come in as I understand.  It will be a nice addition to the Friday Night Madness this season. Looks like Mavericks Shannon, Davis, Sexton and Martinez are all at ETSU camp today.  They were at MTSU camping Friday.  Noe is in the Big Blue state camping at Kentucky today.  Kickers were at Tennessee today I saw.  Coach G says he is as excited about this team as any he has had. Judging by the turnout at the spring game, the Maverick Faithful are too. 

On 6/6/2021 at 2:12 PM, olhickory said:

The Mavericks turned on the "MegaTron" the other day.  It is impressive.  They are waiting on the top piece and the side ad panels to come in as I understand.  It will be a nice addition to the Friday Night Madness this season. Looks like Mavericks Shannon, Davis, Sexton and Martinez are all at ETSU camp today.  They were at MTSU camping Friday.  Noe is in the Big Blue state camping at Kentucky today.  Kickers were at Tennessee today I saw.  Coach G says he is as excited about this team as any he has had. Judging by the turnout at the spring game, the Maverick Faithful are too. 

This is Awesome news to hear Olhickory. Sounds like an exciting and fun year of Mavericks to watch Again!! 

Jumbotron looking Great! It's almost that time if the Year! 

Thanks for update!! Go Mavs! Keep us posted!

• 2 weeks later...

It has been a busy couple of days for the Mavericks.  They went to Chattanooga Saturday and won the Scenic City 7v7 .  I didn't get to make it ,but I heard they competed well against teams from 5 states.  Walker Martinez put on a show and got some attention from the UTC coaching staff I heard.  He has a lot of targets with Vowell, Terry, Russell, Miller, Shannon, and Phillips.  The RB's, Noe and Moog were impressive out of the back field as well.  I made it over to Farragut today to watch the Mavs go with the Admirals, TKA and Central.  I can report that the Mavericks had another great day.  I sat with some Farragut fans, and they were very impressed with the passing game displayed by the Mavericks.  Coach Gillum was in Regular season coaching mode calling plays and it seemed as though the Mavs moved the ball extremely well. I don't like the format where you bring the ball back to the LOS every-time, but it was what they did. It really just gave AC room to expand the zones and throw it in windows.   Farragut has a ton of kids, as did Central, and both had good days. The thing I noticed today was the defense.  The LB's are big and athletic, and the secondary for the Mavericks was on point today throughout the entire scrimmage. Corners aren't big, but played very aggressive and made receivers work to even get open, and separated the ball from the receiver on more than a few plays. Look for Farragut and Central to have a good year. They have athletes and good coaches.  TKA looked super young to me, may not have had all of their players.  

On 6/22/2021 at 12:42 PM, olhickory said:

It has been a busy couple of days for the Mavericks.  They went to Chattanooga Saturday and won the Scenic City 7v7 .  I didn't get to make it ,but I heard they competed well against teams from 5 states.  Walker Martinez put on a show and got some attention from the UTC coaching staff I heard.  He has a lot of targets with Vowell, Terry, Russell, Miller, Shannon, and Phillips.  The RB's, Noe and Moog were impressive out of the back field as well.  I made it over to Farragut today to watch the Mavs go with the Admirals, TKA and Central.  I can report that the Mavericks had another great day.  I sat with some Farragut fans, and they were very impressed with the passing game displayed by the Mavericks.  Coach Gillum was in Regular season coaching mode calling plays and it seemed as though the Mavs moved the ball extremely well. I don't like the format where you bring the ball back to the LOS every-time, but it was what they did. It really just gave AC room to expand the zones and throw it in windows.   Farragut has a ton of kids, as did Central, and both had good days. The thing I noticed today was the defense.  The LB's are big and athletic, and the secondary for the Mavericks was on point today throughout the entire scrimmage. Corners aren't big, but played very aggressive and made receivers work to even get open, and separated the ball from the receiver on more than a few plays. Look for Farragut and Central to have a good year. They have athletes and good coaches.  TKA looked super young to me, may not have had all of their players.  

Wow! This is going to be an Exciting year for the Mavericks! I think they were only 7 or 9 points last year from being undefeated. The info on LB is really impressing.  It looks like they are getting ready staying healthy and what maybe some 58 days away. 

The Mavericks are In Flight soon!

Great Information OL Hickory! 

Edited by Mavericksinflight

On 6/22/2021 at 3:42 PM, olhickory said:

I’ll be following AC. Hopefully the Dragons will make big improvements this year. I feel what’s going to hurt AC is the team speed and young up front and not deep. Kicking game is taking a huge step back. I could see AC RB getting frustrated because the running lanes are not going to be like last year. Good luck AC! 

Edited by Djohnson

7 hours ago, Djohnson said:

I’ll be following AC. Hopefully the Dragons will make big improvements this year. I feel what’s going to hurt AC is the team speed and young up front and not deep. Kicking game is taking a huge step back. I could see AC RB getting frustrated because the running lanes are not going to be like last year. Good luck AC! 

Not sure how well the defense is when thinking about speed. It appears Ol Hickory felt pretty good with DB coverage. Last year we did not really have speed but no one could make it to the corners enough. We in my opinion beat ourselves in with Powell last minute hail Mary. And pick 6 with South Doyle made the one point win for SD. The Greeneville last drive they just beat our defense to win by 4. Then turned around to only loose by 4 to Betsy. Speed could again make the difference in making it to and through the playoffs. Could have been said our D1 Kicker may have choked on a few those 3 losses that we could have won by going for it. So I think they know speed is something or I would think they need to over compensate. Heck they never have been really blessed with speed. Greeneville I understand has speed. Be an interesting game to see OR and Greeneville this year. That will he a fun game to watch. I think we should be able to control the speed enough by passing running and scoring quickly staying ahead just enough to pull it out. Understand Ol Heckory did not mention our depth and that could be a huge problem middle of season. I know receiver's and backs should be stacked but not sure about OL DL. I understand Clinton has got better so it will be interesting to see how they do. They showed improvement at the end of last year too. Good luck to the Dragons!

8 hours ago, Mavericksinflight said:

Not sure how well the defense is when thinking about speed. It appears Ol Hickory felt pretty good with DB coverage. Last year we did not really have speed but no one could make it to the corners enough. We in my opinion beat ourselves in with Powell last minute hail Mary. And pick 6 with South Doyle made the one point win for SD. The Greeneville last drive they just beat our defense to win by 4. Then turned around to only loose by 4 to Betsy. Speed could again make the difference in making it to and through the playoffs. Could have been said our D1 Kicker may have choked on a few those 3 losses that we could have won by going for it. So I think they know speed is something or I would think they need to over compensate. Heck they never have been really blessed with speed. Greeneville I understand has speed. Be an interesting game to see OR and Greeneville this year. That will he a fun game to watch. I think we should be able to control the speed enough by passing running and scoring quickly staying ahead just enough to pull it out. Understand Ol Heckory did not mention our depth and that could be a huge problem middle of season. I know receiver's and backs should be stacked but not sure about OL DL. I understand Clinton has got better so it will be interesting to see how they do. They showed improvement at the end of last year too. Good luck to the Dragons!

The OR and Greeneville game will definitely be a good one to watch along with the opener at Knox Central on a Saturday Rivals game on TV.  (Central's Head Coach started LB at  Greeneville and played under Greeneville's head Coach ).  Speed and Athleticism has been Key in Greeneville's wins against AC.  AC always have big and strong kids but it's hard to tackle what you can't catch.  Greeneville returns 10 on O and 9 on D off of last years team and they do have speed for days (2nd fastest 4 x 100 team this year in the Large School classification with all 4 playing on the FB team. 

We will get to see in the regular season who has the upper hand between Greeneville, Betsy, AC, and SD since AC plays all three, and all teams having tough schedules.  Good Luck this year MavsinFlight

3 hours ago, Swipes said:

The OR and Greeneville game will definitely be a good one to watch along with the opener at Knox Central on a Saturday Rivals game on TV.  (Central's Head Coach started LB at  Greeneville and played under Greeneville's head Coach ).  Speed and Athleticism has been Key in Greeneville's wins against AC.  AC always have big and strong kids but it's hard to tackle what you can't catch.  Greeneville returns 10 on O and 9 on D off of last years team and they do have speed for days (2nd fastest 4 x 100 team this year in the Large School classification with all 4 playing on the FB team. 

We will get to see in the regular season who has the upper hand between Greeneville, Betsy, AC, and SD since AC plays all three, and all teams having tough schedules.  Good Luck this year MavsinFlight

Thanks Swipes. The speed with just Gudgar (spelling correct?) but he took it all the way each time he played us. I am so glad he's gone lol but from bad to worse now with the tracksters I read about at Greeneville this will be exciting year for Greeneville fans.  I am assuming Greeneville may not have the depth as in past, assuming. Right Central Huge game another all-time great game to see. Boy this year is loaded with good games for East Tennessee 4A. With what Greeneville has coming back this will another challenging year for the Mavericks.

Good luck Swipes and the Devils. I am sick of Crow for Thanksgiving! Haha lol have a good season!

Nevermind just seen you post on depth.... scratch the assumption...

Edited by Mavericksinflight
  • Upvote 1