Dobyns-Bennett 2021Offseason

DBKPT93

15 hours ago, WaCoJaCo said:

It's not a question of being positive or negative. It's just being truthful. 

Still just an ignorant comment. I'm just throwing it out there that Teddy Gaines is probably one of the better defensive backs that east tennessee has ever seen, does that mean he is a great coach? Absolutely not, but he has been on multiple college staffs. If it werent for his incident in the news he would still be on Randy Sanders staff at ETSU. In my opinion I don't think he is the issue. Might just be we have not had the skill players to get it done in the past few years. 

and adding to that, there was definite improvement last year. We had more INT turnovers that I can recall in the past few years. Yes we had some rough outings, but lets be real, the game has changed so much and there arent a lot of teams that do a good job defending the pass. Thats why at every level teams are averaging scoring 30+ points a game. There is absolutely room for improvement, but we arent bottom of the barrel. You just like complaining about things. I remember last year you complained about us averaging 12+ yards a carry against Farragut. 

Be positive, we have a young team that seems to have some talent, if the staff can get them ready, we could have an exciting year this year. 

3 hours ago, DBKPT93 said:

Still just an ignorant comment. I'm just throwing it out there that Teddy Gaines is probably one of the better defensive backs that east tennessee has ever seen, does that mean he is a great coach? Absolutely not, but he has been on multiple college staffs. If it werent for his incident in the news he would still be on Randy Sanders staff at ETSU. In my opinion I don't think he is the issue. Might just be we have not had the skill players to get it done in the past few years. 

and adding to that, there was definite improvement last year. We had more INT turnovers that I can recall in the past few years. Yes we had some rough outings, but lets be real, the game has changed so much and there arent a lot of teams that do a good job defending the pass. Thats why at every level teams are averaging scoring 30+ points a game. There is absolutely room for improvement, but we arent bottom of the barrel. You just like complaining about things. I remember last year you complained about us averaging 12+ yards a carry against Farragut. 

Be positive, we have a young team that seems to have some talent, if the staff can get them ready, we could have an exciting year this year. 

Come on man, how can it be a ignorant comment but still be true. You even half way agreed with me. Gaines is a good guy and yes he was a great player but lets face the music, he has taken the pass defense from bad to worse these past two years. Now it is possible that the talent just hasn't been there the past two years, so I'm not saying just throw in the towel on Gaines just yet. My comment was saying DB hasn't had a decent secondary in 20+ years. You can't tell me that they can field excellent athletes at every position year after year but for some reason we can't find a defensive back. In 20+ years?  With even a decent pass defense DB would have beat Science Hill for sure and I think Maryville as well. Central and Volunteer has better pass defense than DB. I don't remember complaining about 12+ yards a carry against Farragut but if that helps your argument, then whatever. 

1 hour ago, WaCoJaCo said:

Come on man, how can it be a ignorant comment but still be true. You even half way agreed with me. Gaines is a good guy and yes he was a great player but lets face the music, he has taken the pass defense from bad to worse these past two years. Now it is possible that the talent just hasn't been there the past two years, so I'm not saying just throw in the towel on Gaines just yet. My comment was saying DB hasn't had a decent secondary in 20+ years. You can't tell me that they can field excellent athletes at every position year after year but for some reason we can't find a defensive back. In 20+ years?  With even a decent pass defense DB would have beat Science Hill for sure and I think Maryville as well. Central and Volunteer has better pass defense than DB. I don't remember complaining about 12+ yards a carry against Farragut but if that helps your argument, then whatever. 

Bad to worse in the last 2 years? I dont believe so. Has it been a weakness, yes. Has there been improvement? Absolutely. Lets look at few stats:

2016: 26 ppg 

2017: 23 ppg

2018: 29 ppg

2019: 12 ppg

2020: 14 ppg

The Gaines brothers came on the staff in 2019 and 2020. I absolutely agree that we have struggled on the back end, but to sit there and just make ignorant comments about kids unlearning how to play is stupid. There have been obvious weaknesses in the defensive back field but it is definitely better than before. From 2016-2018 we gave up it seemed like on average 500+ passing yards a game. In the past 2 years it has significantly dropped. I'm not saying it is a strength on the team, because it obviously isn't, but there is progress. It wont just change overnight no matter who is coaching the position. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, DBKPT93 said:

Bad to worse in the last 2 years? I dont believe so. Has it been a weakness, yes. Has there been improvement? Absolutely. Lets look at few stats:

2016: 26 ppg 

2017: 23 ppg

2018: 29 ppg

2019: 12 ppg

2020: 14 ppg

The Gaines brothers came on the staff in 2019 and 2020. I absolutely agree that we have struggled on the back end, but to sit there and just make ignorant comments about kids unlearning how to play is stupid. There have been obvious weaknesses in the defensive back field but it is definitely better than before. From 2016-2018 we gave up it seemed like on average 500+ passing yards a game. In the past 2 years it has significantly dropped. I'm not saying it is a strength on the team, because it obviously isn't, but there is progress. It wont just change overnight no matter who is coaching the position. 

You can't just look at ppg. You have to consider the passing game of the opponent. Obviously if the team your playing doesn't have a very good QB and maybe just one good receiver you're not going to give up a lot of points by the pass. There were at least three teams DB played last year that couldn't throw one in the ocean. That doesn't make your defensive backfield any better. Look at the teams that had a good quarterback and a guy or two that could catch and tell me what the ppg was. Science Hill was a average team and they had guys running wide open the whole game. It was so easy they only ran the ball 5 times the entire game. Maryville literally could of thrown a TD on every play they had guys so wide open. I do remember talking about the pass defense most of the season last year and pretty much everybody agreed with me. Bothe DB fans and fans of our opponents. Not only did they agree but most of the time they were first to bring it up. We played several teams last year that I was just beside myself as to why they didn't try to pass more. Alcoa was one of them. Of course Alcoa had that stud running back and the big offensive line but you'd think they'd took the path of least resistance. For you to say the defensive backfield is better than before, now that is a ignorant statement. Anyway the bottom line is I'm right and your wrong.

7 hours ago, WaCoJaCo said:

....... We played several teams last year that I was just beside myself as to why they didn't try to pass more. Alcoa was one of them. Of course Alcoa had that stud running back and the big offensive line but you'd think they'd took the path of least resistance. For you to say the defensive backfield is better than before, now that is a ignorant statement. Anyway the bottom line is I'm right and your wrong.

I was at the Alcoa game and I agree, for as good as Alcoa was their game plan against DB was really.... questionable.    Maybe Alcoa didn't pass very much because their QB kept overshooting wide open receivers.     DB only lost 20-7 and really played a pretty good game, just came up short inside the 20 a couple of times if memory serves me correctly

Having a son playing 7v7, I get to see a lot of football this time of year. Regardless of what you think about 7v7, and how it may or may not translate to real football, DB has a team called the Tribe playing. I don't know any names on the team, but they look pretty decent to me. It is hard to gauge in 7v7 though as some HS's bring their own players out and they play against some all star type teams that are made up of players from different schools. From the little I can the Tribe has been swapping 2 qbs out every few plays. Neither has eye popping ability, but they aren't bad either. By eye popping, I mean one guy from one other team has 50 TD's thrown in 7 weeks and another guy was Kaden Martin (Tee's son). Those guys are eye popping and just different. If you want to watch, it is free and I think they play again at Alcoa on Saturday. 

Edited by CrossStateTraveler
Grammar

7 hours ago, CrossStateTraveler said:

Having a son playing 7v7, I get to see a lot of football this time of year. Regardless of what you think about 7v7, and how it may or may not translate to real football, DB has a team called the Tribe playing. I don't know any names on the team, but they look pretty decent to me. It is hard to gauge in 7v7 though as some HS's bring their own players out and they play against some all star type teams that are made up of players from different schools. From the little I can the Tribe has been swapping 2 qbs out every few plays. Neither has eye popping ability, but they aren't bad either. By eye popping, I mean one guy from one other team has 50 TD's thrown in 7 weeks and another guy was Kaden Martin (Tee's son). Those guys are eye popping and just different. If you want to watch, it is free and I think they play again at Alcoa on Saturday. 

Alcoa has greatly improved their Football Program from the 7v7 leagues. Fun stuff.

17 hours ago, WaCoJaCo said:

You can't just look at ppg. You have to consider the passing game of the opponent. Obviously if the team your playing doesn't have a very good QB and maybe just one good receiver you're not going to give up a lot of points by the pass. There were at least three teams DB played last year that couldn't throw one in the ocean. That doesn't make your defensive backfield any better. Look at the teams that had a good quarterback and a guy or two that could catch and tell me what the ppg was. Science Hill was a average team and they had guys running wide open the whole game. It was so easy they only ran the ball 5 times the entire game. Maryville literally could of thrown a TD on every play they had guys so wide open. I do remember talking about the pass defense most of the season last year and pretty much everybody agreed with me. Bothe DB fans and fans of our opponents. Not only did they agree but most of the time they were first to bring it up. We played several teams last year that I was just beside myself as to why they didn't try to pass more. Alcoa was one of them. Of course Alcoa had that stud running back and the big offensive line but you'd think they'd took the path of least resistance. For you to say the defensive backfield is better than before, now that is a ignorant statement. Anyway the bottom line is I'm right and your wrong.

I used ppg because it was readily avaliable and easy to calculate. If I had access to stats I would break each one down specifically and compare to the years before and it would also show improvement. Now when I say improvement I don't mean that we turned into an amazing defensive backfield, we have gotten a little bit better than before. If you can remember back in the last couple years of Clarks tenure, we gave up ridiculous amounts of passing yards. Never caused any turnovers, and teams ripped us apart in the defensive backfield. If we won games back then, it had to be a shootout. There was one year, maybe 2015 if I recall that we won 5 games in the last minute of the game with scores above 30+ a game. As the years have gone on, they have improved. Again I am not saying we have gotten so much better that is not an issue, it is still the weakest point on our team. But there has been slight improvement in the past 2 years. I hope to see it continue to improve. Obviously the strength of our team is our big guys up front on the OL and DL, and even this year it is still a question mark because we lost so much. I have heard we have some young kids that will be ready to roll though.

Thats all I will say on this anymore, I know that no matter what I say you will still think you are right, and will try to belittle me. But I am stating facts on here instead of throwing out crazy statements to rile people up. 

Good day sir.

Roll Tribe

Edited by DBKPT93

7 hours ago, CrossStateTraveler said:

Gerald Sensabaugh has been coaching this team. It is made up with mostly DB guys with a few other local guys sprinkled in there. I watched their first one, which wasn't a great showing. But I have heard they have gotten significantly better as the weeks have gone on. 

Spring Practice starts monday, is it open for people to come watch? I'd like to see what we are working with.

I don't know if it's open or not to the fans.Back in the days that I had an Indian playing,I watched nearly every practice,nomatter if it was in J Fred,the Dome,the practice fields,weight room or even in the soccer  building.We have covid now and I don't know what the new normal will be.If they are up on the practice field,I would go out on a limb and say that sitting on the hill would be fine,like dads and fans have for years.That said,I wouldn't bet the farm on anything these days.Man, that makes Batman want to go over and sit on the hill !