Dobyns-Bennett 2021Offseason

DBKPT93

On 4/29/2021 at 8:25 AM, DBKPT93 said:

Gerald Sensabaugh has been coaching this team. It is made up with mostly DB guys with a few other local guys sprinkled in there. I watched their first one, which wasn't a great showing. But I have heard they have gotten significantly better as the weeks have gone on. 

Spring Practice starts monday, is it open for people to come watch? I'd like to see what we are working with.

I do some of the filming for these 7v7 games. Sensabaugh is hard on them in a good way. Fun to watch and listen to throughout a game.

I would definitely agree they got better throughout the season. Having said that, I am not sure they were all DB kids. I think it was mostly DB, but others sprinkled in.

WR position is really good and will be very fast. For sure... an improved position from last season.

I like last names like Gillespie and Sensabaugh! They have that, you can't coach it speed and illusiveness that you might not catch either. Plus the WR from Abingdon with great size and speed (6-4 4.7 40). 

Edited by LINEDAD

5 hours ago, LINEDAD said:

WR position is really good and will be very fast. For sure... an improved position from last season.

I like last names like Gillespie and Sensabaugh! They have that, you can't coach it speed and illusiveness that you might not catch either. Plus the WR from Abingdon with great size and speed (6-4 4.7 40). 

I always considered 4.7 as average speed (at best) for a skill player. Would be good if he could knock off a 10th or two. 

5 hours ago, WaCoJaCo said:

I always considered 4.7 as average speed (at best) for a skill player. Would be good if he could knock off a 10th or two. 

You're misinformed if you think 4.7 is the average speed for skill guys in high school. Everyone knows that high school 40 times aren't accurate. You only get accurate times in college and the NFL when they are actually laser timed.  If you watch the best college receivers being timed for the NFL draft a lot of those guys get timed in the 4.6 or 4.7 range. So yeah, 4.7 is average in the NFL scouting combine. I think it's safe to say there is more speed in the NFL than there is in East Tennessee high school football, but what do I know.

Edited by TheGreatWallofAlnwick
  • Like 1

I understand what both of you are saying about 4.7 speed.True that around here , 4.7 is better then a lot of kids and at 6-4, that could be a weapon. That said, Malik Forman had the kind of speed that I think of as being special,very special. I don't know what he ran the 40 in,but it was faster then anyone else I seen him playing against on friday nights.

5 hours ago, BatmanDB said:

I understand what both of you are saying about 4.7 speed.True that around here , 4.7 is better then a lot of kids and at 6-4, that could be a weapon. That said, Malik Forman had the kind of speed that I think of as being special,very special. I don't know what he ran the 40 in,but it was faster then anyone else I seen him playing against on friday nights.

This is from a article when Foreman committed to TN and that’s what he ran on TN pro day 4.37.

“Foreman's pledge also addresses a major need for the Vols -- defensive back and SPEED. Foreman has been clocked at 4.37 in the 40-yard dash and 10.6 in the 100m according to 247Sports' Ryan Callahan.”

11 hours ago, TheGreatWallofAlnwick said:

You're misinformed if you think 4.7 is the average speed for skill guys in high school. Everyone knows that high school 40 times aren't accurate. You only get accurate times in college and the NFL when they are actually laser timed.  If you watch the best college receivers being timed for the NFL draft a lot of those guys get timed in the 4.6 or 4.7 range. So yeah, 4.7 is average in the NFL scouting combine. I think it's safe to say there is more speed in the NFL than there is in East Tennessee high school football, but what do I know.

I agree that 40 times in high school arn't accurate. I guess what I was trying to say is that a 4.7 40 in high school is not all that special. Pretty good but not special. I'll tell you what is a better guage of speed than a stop watch. My eyes. 

You guys remember the Higgins player from Oak Ridge a few years ago?    I don't know his speed but it resembled greased lightning, plus he was something like 6'4".     They came up to play DB and he caught maybe 2 passes the entire game,    OR's QB kept throwing the ball at his shoelaces or a mile over his head.     Its always an asset to have the genetically gifted on your team but it still takes the entire team to make it work.

6 hours ago, blazer1set said:

You guys remember the Higgins player from Oak Ridge a few years ago?    I don't know his speed but it resembled greased lightning, plus he was something like 6'4".     They came up to play DB and he caught maybe 2 passes the entire game,    OR's QB kept throwing the ball at his shoelaces or a mile over his head.     Its always an asset to have the genetically gifted on your team but it still takes the entire team to make it work.

Higgins ran a 4.75 in high school and a 4.54 on his pro day.

19 minutes ago, Appvol said:

Higgins ran a 4.75 in high school and a 4.54 on his pro day.

I only saw him once and that was vs. DB in Kingsport, but I could tell he was something special.    If OR could have just gotten him the ball that game would have turned out way differently because DB could not cover him at all.

15 hours ago, WaCoJaCo said:

I agree that 40 times in high school arn't accurate. I guess what I was trying to say is that a 4.7 40 in high school is not all that special. Pretty good but not special. I'll tell you what is a better guage of speed than a stop watch. My eyes. 

If you'll recall the 2016 game where WB beat DB in Kingsport, WB had a really good receiver who torched the Indians until he got injured in the second quarter. That's not a knock on DB because he did that to everyone except Maryville and Alcoa, although he did have a highlight reel TD catch against Alcoa. Any way, that kid who smoked defenses and looked like the fastest kid on the field a few times and usually at least close to the fastest was timed at around a 4.7 in high school. 

Edited by TheGreatWallofAlnwick