2A Region 5 Preview

Overland

Cascade

Forrest

Loretto

Mount Pleasant

Richland

Summertown

Region should be balanced but not strong. Perennial playoff teams Lewis County and Eagleville have moved (along with Community). Replacing them are Cascade, Richland, and Mt. Pleasant. Region is a toss up. All 6 teams enter summer workouts with a realistic chance at one of the playoff spots and possibly the region crown. Rivalry games where the records do not matter between Mt. Pleasant-Loretto- Summertown and Forrest- Cascade make it hard to predict an order of finish.

Toss up is right. A bunch of perennial journeyman teams.

Forrest has by far the best history the last six or so seasons.  2 State quarterfinal appearances, 3 Mr. Football finalists and 1 Mr. Football winner.  But bad coaching and poor talent management have them in danger of becoming a .500 in perpetuity.  

I'll pick top 4 as (playoff) Forrest, Richland, Cascade, MP. I could be 1000% wrong.

Forrest needs a QB. Good thing is, they aren't asked to throw much. 

Forrest 2020 (7-5; 4-1) * Covid forfeit win vs Summertown

Returning Starters: Offense- 6; Defense- 5

Key Losses: Noah Hill LB, Max Kirby QB, Micah McClendon ATH, Boston Follis ATH

Transfers: ?

Coaching Changes: None

Outlook: The 2021 Rocket squad should be like the 2020 version with a gritty defense and a ball control offense. Forrest finished 2020 with a 4-1 region record but lost to Cascade in a non-region clash. Inconsistency on offense plagued the team all year and kept the Rockets from repeating as Region champs. Key returners on offense will be RBs Tayton Swift and Brenton Burchell. Lane Strasser should anchor the offensive and defensive lines. LB/TE McCallister Wilson should lead the defense. A tough non region schedule should have Forrest tested for their regional foes. If they develop a QB and improve on offense the Rockets could be the region favorite again. Friday Main Event preseason prediction was first place in Region.

Loretto   2020 (5-6; 2-3)

Returning starters: Offense 8  ; Defense 8

Key Losses: Logan Fisher - RB/RET

Coaching changes: Head coach Barry Daniel returns for his 2nd season.

Outlook: Replacing speedster and playmaker Fisher will be a tall task. However, the Mustangs return a solid core of players from last season’s playoff team. A new coach last season was at a disadvantage due to Covid restrictions so expect Loretto to improve in year 2. Sophomore QB Carter Daniel returns as well as 6’5” WR Tabias Sirmones. Sophomore RB Omoro Joyner should have a big year as well. Friday Main Event picks Loretto as the preseason #2 seed in Region 5.

2 hours ago, Overland said:

Forrest 2020 (7-5; 4-1) * Covid forfeit win vs Summertown

Returning Starters: Offense- 6; Defense- 5

Key Losses: Noah Hill LB, Max Kirby QB, Micah McClendon ATH, Boston Follis ATH

Coaching Changes: None

Outlook: The 2021 Rocket squad should be like the 2020 version with a gritty defense and a ball control offense. Forrest finished 2020 with a 4-1 region record but lost to Cascade in a non-region clash. Inconsistency on offense plagued the team all year and kept the Rockets from repeating as Region champs. Key returners on offense will be RBs Tayton Swift and Brenton Burchell. Lane Strasser should anchor the offensive and defensive lines. LB/TE McCallister Wilson should lead the defense. A tough non region schedule should have Forrest tested for their regional foes. If they develop a QB and improve on offense the Rockets could be the region favorite again. Friday Main Event preseason prediction was first place in Region.

1 hour ago, Overland said:

Loretto   2020 (5-6; 2-3)

Returning starters: Offense 8  ; Defense 8

Key Losses: Logan Fisher - RB/RET

Coaching changes: Head coach Barry Daniel returns for his 2nd season.

Outlook: Replacing speedster and playmaker Fisher will be a tall task. However, the Mustangs return a solid core of players from last season’s playoff team. A new coach last season was at a disadvantage due to Covid restrictions so expect Loretto to improve in year 2. Sophomore QB Carter Daniel returns as well as 6’5” WR Tabias Sirmones. Sophomore RB Omoro Joyner should have a big year as well. Friday Main Event picks Loretto as the preseason #2 seed in Region 5.

Good analysis bud.

Summertown 2020 (3-7; 0-5) *Covid forfeit loss to Forrest

Returning starters: Offense 7 ; Defense 7

Key Losses: Avery Johnson OL, Blake Bailey OL

Coaching changes: Head coach Leslie Moat is out. Defensive coordinator Dakota Crews is now Head Coach.

Outlook: Summertown entered the 2020 season with high expectations. After a 3-0 start they lost a Covid pickup game to private DCA and then collapsed down the stretch. Late leads to Loretto, Eagleville, and Community were blown, a Covid forfeit to Forrest, and a blowout loss to Lewis County ruined the 2020 campaign. Summertown has numerous offensive weapons returning and good size on both lines. Explosive skill players return in Colton Shaffer, Javen Edmiston, Gavin Robinson, and Aniken Johnson.  This senior heavy squad could be a surprise team in the West if the new coach can get it going. Friday Main Event had the Eagles near the bottom of the division. I say they will be one of the top teams in Region 5 this year. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/3/2021 at 11:25 AM, Overland said:

TSSAA won't allow spring games between teams this year. Any live action will have to be scrimmages with your own players. 

I know some have planned a game like a team scrimmage game. Was wondering if there was any that were scheduled. I know MtP has one next week. 

• 1 month later...

Cascade coach was interviewed by the Friday Main Event crew a few weeks ago. A few tidbits: Cascade will only have 5 seniors. Big shoes for the new QB to fill after Seth Countess' graduation. They expect to have one of the top place kickers in the state next year. 

No Region 5 football coaching positions are posted on TSSAA so the staffs should be set for summer workouts. 

Forrest's Defensive coordinator left the school. Anyone know who the new guy will be? Did a QB step up this spring?

How did the new head coaches at Summertown and Mt Pleasant look this spring? Can we expect any new looks in 2021?

Does anyone know anything about Richland?  Did Loretto show improvement in both the coach and QBs 2nd season?