2A Region 5 Preview

Overland

6 hours ago, Overland said:

Mt. Pleasant Tigers (2020  Record:  1-8)

Coaching Changes: Kit Hartsfield New Head Coach from Blackman HS; Andrew Holcomb-  OC

Key Returning Players: QB Tevarious Streyhorn,  ATH - Demarcus Brown, WR - Jeffrey Williamson, OL - Dontavious Ellison, OL- Hardin Hughes

2021Outlook: Expect a much improved Tiger squad this season with a new coaching staff and an entirely new offensive and defensive systems, outlook, and attitude. Gone is the single wing system of the past and expect the Tigers to spread the field. Mt Pleasant recently took 2nd place at the Shelbyville Central 7 on 7 tournament. They looked very talented compared to the other 22 teams there. Sophomore Darian Mesa, a track and field standout, had a big tournament day. A very disappointing 2020 campaign saw MP lose 4 one score games but they did pick up a win against new region foe Loretto. I predict a Fayetteville City style turnaround this season for the talented Tigers and they will be in the mix for the region crown. 

Agree Mt Pleasant may have a big time turn around. They got hit hard by COVID early last year and never could get it together. They have too many athletes not to compete. If this new coach is going to spread it out and use their speed, I think they could compete for the top of this region.

On 7/7/2021 at 4:46 PM, Richmond30 said:

Agree Mt Pleasant may have a big time turn around. They got hit hard by COVID early last year and never could get it together. They have too many athletes not to compete. If this new coach is going to spread it out and use their speed, I think they could compete for the top of this region.

The underclassmen classes are very talented. The junior, sophmore, and freshman class that came over form the middle school had an impressive run. 19-3 the last three years. Two conference championships. Covid hit the middle school hard too, finished in a three way tie for second in the conference after loosing in double OT to Loretto and then Waynesboro. Beat regular season champion Richland 30-18 the one week all the players were healthy and able to play. Lots of speed, grit, and they are buying in to Coach Hartsfield and his staff. Should be a major difference this season. 

• 2 weeks later...

Im going with this

1. Loretto-by far the most experience returning from a playoff team in 2020
2. Summertown-accountability!!! Shaffer returning with Edmiston and Johnson make them a threat
3. Forrest-This is the sleeper. Find an offense and they win the region
4. Mount Pleasant- always has talent but changing systems will be difficult to adapt to early
5. Cascade-replacing a signal caller against this region is always difficult to overcome
6. Richland-not ready for 2A football yet

Preseason Poll

1. Summertown - too many big athletic seniors return.

2. Mt. Pleasant - good things happen when quality coaching and athletic players get together

3. Forrest - if offense improves they will move up, if offense regresses they will drop lower

4. Loretto - looking to improve on last year's #4 seed with many starters returning

5. Cascade- lost some good players and only have a handful of seniors. 

6. Richland - no respect in football until they have success

After watching some 7on7's and listening to coaches interviews I would say Region 5 has two tiers. This may change after watching a jamboree or two. 

Tier 1: Summertown, Mt. Pleasant, Forrest

Tier 2: Cascade, Richland, Loretto

• 2 weeks later...

Until Forrest proves me wrong I am picking them 3rd in the region. Summertown has a Sr. QB, and MTP will be more athletic.  Forrest has a huge question mark at QB. I am hearing its a good kid who has played before then came back this season. Not sure how accurate that is. If he can make some plays Forrest has some kids who can run the ball. How will the line fare? Just too many questions.     

On 7/7/2021 at 10:23 AM, Overland said:

Any offensive changes for Forrest this spring? Did a QB emerge to replace last year's starter? Is new DC making any changes? I saw a game or two at Shelbyville 7 on 7. A few decent looking athletes but had trouble covering deep balls and did not look to have much overall team speed. Offense has to improve over 2020 to have any success in 2021.

no idea. they do have an older QB, don't know much about him. Shelbyville has  more dynamic offense than Forrest will see unless they make the State semis. i dont see how offense can improve from 2020 and it was not good. (kindler gentler general)

Richland will be better than some think. They've been competitive and have had good coaching. I'd take 3 or 4 of the R5 coaches over Eli in a HEARTBEAT. 

In fact, off-season rumblings I am hearing have me convinced that Forrest might be looking at a 5-5 season. Eli is the worst people person in Rocket history to be HC. His X's and O's are only slightly better. This could be a very long season in Chapel Hill.

On 8/7/2021 at 3:56 PM, GeneralForrest said:

Richland will be better than some think. They've been competitive and have had good coaching. I'd take 3 or 4 of the R5 coaches over Eli in a HEARTBEAT. 

In fact, off-season rumblings I am hearing have me convinced that Forrest might be looking at a 5-5 season. Eli is the worst people person in Rocket history to be HC. His X's and O's are only slightly better. This could be a very long season in Chapel Hill.

First two games are big  if they lose to Eagleville and then get run over by Cornersville they may not get to 5. East Robertson has picked up a few athletes to go with both Groves kids so that game isn't a gimme. But looking at your schedule I can see 7  wins.

I didn't watch it but was told the team held their own against a solid Macon County team in a scrimmage. New QB was  accurate but the offensive and defensive lines got pushed around. Macon County will be as physical as anyone on your schedule. 

23 hours ago, GeneralForrest said:

Macon is 3A or 4A?

i will try to take some encouragement from your scrimmage report lol 

Macon County is 4A and they have high expectations this year. Forrest takes on 6A Rockvale in this week's jamboree. Not afraid of bigger competition at least in the preseason.