Blackman announces new coaches

CougarDadx2

Mathers was an heck of player at Blackman.  I would encourage the head coach to take the tweet down that states one of Mathers duties is recruiting coordinator.  It would appear that this head coach is always looking for ways to shine the light on himself.  Going to be an interesting 2021 football season in Rutherford County.

Edited by TomLHS

3 hours ago, TomLHS said:

Mathers was an heck of player at Blackman.  I would encourage the head coach to take the tweet down that states one of Mathers duties is recruiting coordinator.  It would appear that this head coach is always looking for ways to shine the light on himself.  Going to be an interesting 2021 football season in Rutherford County.

Amazing that in TN everyone thinks a recruiting coordinator is something other than the single point of contact in the organization whom colleges must work through when looking at players. Here is a good article from AFCA on what the position entails:

How You Can Successfully Help Your Players In Their Recruiting Process (afca.com)

Why would you not have a coordinator such as Mathers who can speak to and share the experience of the process?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, TomLHS said:

How exactly does having Mathers as a recruiting coordinator shine a light on Coach Tygard? Not sure this has anything to do with Head Coach shining a light on himself.

1 hour ago, Blaze45 said:

How exactly does having Mathers as a recruiting coordinator shine a light on Coach Tygard? Not sure this has anything to do with Head Coach shining a light on himself.

Seems like the new guy is trying positively promote his new coaches and create a buzz going into the season. He seems innovative and energetic. He’s trying new things in this county. 

4 hours ago, Blaze45 said:

Sure is looking like any departure from the norm brings out the haters - see previous Blackman thread.

2 hours ago, CougarDadx2 said:

Sure is looking like any departure from the norm brings out the haters - see previous Blackman thread.

I been through 15 years of Blackman history... watching football and only missed a hand full of games. People don't like what they don't know. I think this guy is going to be good for the school and the team. You can't pour chocolate cake mix in a bowl and get anything other than chocolate cake. Sometimes to get different results you gotta do something all together different. I had a lot of friends on staff, and hated to see them go,but also realize that sometimes this is exactly what it takes to grow the program. I have high hopes for the team, and think in 18-24 months he will have it running in the right direction.  They didn't get here overnight and won't fix it overnight either 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, TomLHS said:

The fact that you have no idea of the responsibilities of a recruiting coordinator speaks to your knowledge of the current landscape of high school football. It is a position that serves as a link between college coaches and potential recruits on your team.

As far as Tygard, I do think that he is a shameless self promoter. However, I respect his willingness to do things his way and not worry about the thoughts of others. Sometimes you have to do something different to get different results.

1 hour ago, 615RumorMill said:

The fact that you have no idea of the responsibilities of a recruiting coordinator speaks to your knowledge of the current landscape of high school football. It is a position that serves as a link between college coaches and potential recruits on your team.

As far as Tygard, I do think that he is a shameless self promoter. However, I respect his willingness to do things his way and not worry about the thoughts of others. Sometimes you have to do something different to get different results.

Okay, all that have responded to my comment about the term Recruiting coordinator, name any other high school that has this as a title for an assitant coach.  I could care less how unsuccessful or successful the head coach will be, although I have my opinion. I was just pointing out that Mathers is good for the school, but one of his titles ,"recruiting coordinator" could be taken out of context.

43 minutes ago, TomLHS said:

Okay, all that have responded to my comment about the term Recruiting coordinator, name any other high school that has this as a title for an assitant coach.  I could care less how unsuccessful or successful the head coach will be, although I have my opinion. I was just pointing out that Mathers is good for the school, but one of his titles ,"recruiting coordinator" could be taken out of context.

Taken out of context how? Like he’s responsible for transfers? 
I’m sure Tygard understands he needs transfers to compete with Oakland and Riverdale who consistently get top talent to move in but he also knows he can’t publicize that info. That will get you on probation real quick. Ask the state champs.  

2 hours ago, TomLHS said:

Schools with recruiting coordinators:

Brentwood

Oakland

Riverdale

Mt. Juliet

Summit

These are just off the top of my head, but any school without someone in a position such as this is doing a disservice to their players.