Shot clock

mondo44

• 2 weeks later...

Would only be a positive thing for the game as a whole. 

Problem is: T$$AA is too darn stubborn and backwards to implement the thing. 

Just like the enlarging the coaching box... they are always a day late and a dollar short. (usually they are short and trying to wring it out of us!)

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

There is nothing positive about having a shot clock in high school basketball. Use it in the summer AAU and Elite camp stuff for guys who are gonna play next level basketball. For most of Tennessee and rural schools this does nothing but add another expense to the regular season. Some places have a hard enough time getting clock and score keepers. Imagine trying to train someone to know when to reset the clock and officials to monitor correctly. How many game stoppages would you have to discuss shot clock resets. It has it's place but not in high school games in Tennessee. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

shot clock in Tennessee is something that absolutely needs to happen. It will rarely impact a game because the average time of possession is not where near the 30 second or 35 second shot clock. The impact would prevent a team going into a stall game to slow a better team down. Yeah yeah I get it... strategy, game plans, etc... However, the benefit of preparing kids for the next level outweighs the whole strategy, game plans or whatever. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, YouAlreadyKnow said:

shot clock in Tennessee is something that absolutely needs to happen. It will rarely impact a game because the average time of possession is not where near the 30 second or 35 second shot clock. The impact would prevent a team going into a stall game to slow a better team down. Yeah yeah I get it... strategy, game plans, etc... However, the benefit of preparing kids for the next level outweighs the whole strategy, game plans or whatever. 

If it will rarely impact a game then that is not worth it.  As for your other point of preparing kids for college, less than %1 of kids nationally that play in high school go on to play in college.  So why change something that will only complicate things and only benefit less than one percent of players?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LittleJerrySeinfeld said:

If it will rarely impact a game then that is not worth it.  As for your other point of preparing kids for college, less than %1 of kids nationally that play in high school go on to play in college.  So why change something that will only complicate things and only benefit less than one percent of players?

Good points for sure. I can see both sides. It will be expensive for sure. you are right only a small percentage of kids will play at the next level but the high school game should be  preparing them for that  as much as possible and the adding of a shot clock would help. 

10 minutes ago, YouAlreadyKnow said:

Good points for sure. I can see both sides. It will be expensive for sure. you are right only a small percentage of kids will play at the next level but the high school game should be  preparing them for that  as much as possible and the adding of a shot clock would help. 

That 1% of players who it would help are most likely playing AAU where they have the shot clock.  I think the 99% of high school players would not benefit from the shot clock because they would end up developing poor habits offensively and defensively.  The discipline and fundamentals that high school coaches try to instill in their programs would be undermined.  Offenses would not be as patient and players will take quick, bad shots.  Defenses would not have to be as disciplined and focused and would take more risks because they do not have to guard as long.  Furthermore, the AAU play style, from what I have seen, is a lot of "hooping" and not much fundamental basketball.  There is minimal defense and not much legitimate coaching going on.  Kids are scoring at will because there is no help defense or scheme.  The best players will move onto college whether there is a shot clock or not.  I just think that the pros do not outweigh the cons with this shot clock situation.  I have not heard a college coach say, "Man I wish that kid had played with a shot clock in high school.  He would have been a better player."  Nor have I heard a scout say, "I cannot stand watching high school games in TN because there is no shot clock".   Maybe there are benefits to a shot clock that I am missing, but I cannot think of any.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, LittleJerrySeinfeld said:

That 1% of players who it would help are most likely playing AAU where they have the shot clock.  I think the 99% of high school players would not benefit from the shot clock because they would end up developing poor habits offensively and defensively.  The discipline and fundamentals that high school coaches try to instill in their programs would be undermined.  Offenses would not be as patient and players will take quick, bad shots.  Defenses would not have to be as disciplined and focused and would take more risks because they do not have to guard as long.  Furthermore, the AAU play style, from what I have seen, is a lot of "hooping" and not much fundamental basketball.  There is minimal defense and not much legitimate coaching going on.  Kids are scoring at will because there is no help defense or scheme.  The best players will move onto college whether there is a shot clock or not.  I just think that the pros do not outweigh the cons with this shot clock situation.  I have not heard a college coach say, "Man I wish that kid had played with a shot clock in high school.  He would have been a better player."  Nor have I heard a scout say, "I cannot stand watching high school games in TN because there is no shot clock".   Maybe there are benefits to a shot clock that I am missing, but I cannot think of any.

Good points. I don't think the shot clock would lead to developing poor habits.

Benefits: A team can buy in even more on the defensive end and play better defense because they know if they do they can get a shot clock violation.

A team will know we only have 30/35 seconds to score so we really need to execute, cut hard, set good screens so we don't get a shot clock violation.

A coach could run a soft press and then an extended zone to make it hard on teams to get a shot off in 30/35 seconds.

Players get experience taking shots under pressure when the shot clock is getting close to expiring

Teams that are down by 10 with 3:30 left to go in the game don't have to foul and make the game last FOREVER.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, YouAlreadyKnow said:

Good points. I don't think the shot clock would lead to developing poor habits.

Benefits: A team can buy in even more on the defensive end and play better defense because they know if they do they can get a shot clock violation.

A team will know we only have 30/35 seconds to score so we really need to execute, cut hard, set good screens so we don't get a shot clock violation.

A coach could run a soft press and then an extended zone to make it hard on teams to get a shot off in 30/35 seconds.

Players get experience taking shots under pressure when the shot clock is getting close to expiring

Teams that are down by 10 with 3:30 left to go in the game don't have to foul and make the game last FOREVER.

1: We barely have enough referees for games and can barely pay them.  Teams struggle to get book keepers and clock operators as is.  I do not see a way to implement shot clocks in gyms all over the state, train people/referees to run the clock, and pay those people as well.

2: Scenario- team brings the ball up the floor (10 seconds), runs some offense (15 seconds), ball is deflected out of bounds.  Side out.  That 10 seconds or less on the clock left will lead to bad shots.  High school players take enough bad shots already.

Scenario- defense knocks the ball out on the baseline with 3 seconds left on the shot clock.   Here comes another rushed shot.  

3: if you are worried about fouling at the end of the game then take care of business earlier.  It is a part of the college and pro game, and they have shot clocks.  

• Like 1