Shot clock

mondo44

On 9/23/2021 at 9:50 AM, threeball said:

I also hear some people say in these posts about a shot clock would separate good coaches from bad coaches... are bad coaches the only ones not wanting a shot clock?   I believe, that a shot clock actually would take an element of coaching away from the good coaches.  A shot clock would force all teams to play within a boxed pace of play.... which eliminates parts of strategy that is beneficial to the game.  

Before 1933, there was no 10-second rule for the ball to cross half court.  The rule has been beneficial for defenses.  In the early 2000's the NBA and FIBA changed it to 8 seconds while college, high school, middle, and elementary have kept it at 10 seconds.  Should all basketball levels also change that to 8 seconds? I don't think so.  What would be the benefit?  We don't need to box players and coaches into a certain pace of play.  Various styles and strategies are what makes our game unique, fun and beneficial to the masses.  It also allows good coaching strategies (either fast or slow pace of play).    

I f you give them the shot clock you could eliminate the backcourt call altogether.. just saying.

21 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

I also don’t want to attend a high school basketball game and see a team hold the ball for 60+ seconds. It goes both ways.

That hardly happens and if one team is that much better than the other then  get out there defensively and force the action    Shot clock won’t make the high school game better 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, tradertwo said:

If you've been outcoached/outplayed for the first 31:15, why do you deserve the other team to be forced to allow you an "unearned" possession? I've seen many more games lost than won by stalling too early and having to maintain possession of the ball...there's the half court line, five second rule, and the option to trap from the zone, or man pressure to force turnovers. There's also the option to foul and gain several possessions in the last 45 seconds. That's why coaching isn't easy...there are multiple options in your scenario, and you want to remove most of them and make it as easy as following a recipe on the label of a soup can.

We’ll said.  I believe it would benefit the defense anyway.  Lower scoring games    Won’t that be fun to watch 

16 hours ago, captnoname said:

I f you give them the shot clock you could eliminate the backcourt call altogether.. just saying.

This is certainly true, and an option.  However, with the shot clock, there comes the issues of malfunction, paying a worker to do it, training that worker, also no replay to make certain of the time that should be up there... with the backcourt call/line, there is none of these issues...so if i was to make a change in one way or the other, it wouldn't be to add a shot clock and eliminate the backcourt call.  "Seek significant change." ~ John Wooden. 

12 hours ago, warmachine7954 said:

So NBA, NCAA, other pro league and high level basketball isn't enough for you?

You need high school to score high and be exciting for you to get your entertainment fix?

That’s not what I meant and if you read my posts you’ll know that.  The high school game is great just the way it is.  Shot clock will lead to lower scoring games, poor shot selection and lower fg percentages.   Pro and college is entertainment.  The high school game should be so much more of a learning experience and fun.   Not to entertain you or anyone else 

• 4 weeks later...