Shot clock

mondo44

1 hour ago, LittleJerrySeinfeld said:

1: We barely have enough referees for games and can barely pay them.  Teams struggle to get book keepers and clock operators as is.  I do not see a way to implement shot clocks in gyms all over the state, train people/referees to run the clock, and pay those people as well.

2: Scenario- team brings the ball up the floor (10 seconds), runs some offense (15 seconds), ball is deflected out of bounds.  Side out.  That 10 seconds or less on the clock left will lead to bad shots.  High school players take enough bad shots already.

Scenario- defense knocks the ball out on the baseline with 3 seconds left on the shot clock.   Here comes another rushed shot.  

3: if you are worried about fouling at the end of the game then take care of business earlier.  It is a part of the college and pro game, and they have shot clocks.  

Putting players in pressure situations makes them better when the game is on the line. I love those scenarios you came up with. A team that is well coached has the perfect Side line out of bounds play for 3 seconds left on the clock and 10 seconds is a ton of time to get a great shot. Plus pressure on the defense to get a stop with 10 seconds left or guard without fouling for short periods of time... Can't beat the excitement that brings to the game. 

There will be some fouling at the end but no where near where it is now!

1 hour ago, YouAlreadyKnow said:

Putting players in pressure situations makes them better when the game is on the line. I love those scenarios you came up with. A team that is well coached has the perfect Side line out of bounds play for 3 seconds left on the clock and 10 seconds is a ton of time to get a great shot. Plus pressure on the defense to get a stop with 10 seconds left or guard without fouling for short periods of time... Can't beat the excitement that brings to the game. 

There will be some fouling at the end but no where near where it is now!

That may be so, but the obstacles in the way of implementing the shot clock will be difficult to overcome.  We can debate the impact of shot clocks or how much fouling/stalling goes on in games, but that does nothing to solve those issues with installing, operating, and paying for shot clocks.  Maybe the private schools can pilot it for a year

1 hour ago, LittleJerrySeinfeld said:

That may be so, but the obstacles in the way of implementing the shot clock will be difficult to overcome.  We can debate the impact of shot clocks or how much fouling/stalling goes on in games, but that does nothing to solve those issues with installing, operating, and paying for shot clocks.  Maybe the private schools can pilot it for a year

the cost is an issue for sure. maybe a 5 year phase in?

The cost for implementing and running the shot clock will keep it out of Tennessee. Officiating gets a lot of complaints as is. Imagine important games coming down to a shot clock issue. I think your comparing apples and oranges when you talk about the 3 point line vs a shot clock. Things like the 3 point line or widening the lane was not a cost issue nor did you have to do anything except teach officials to hold their hands up on made 3. Guards were already shooting from that distance. Now it just counts a point more. Training someone local to run a shot clock, teaching officials the rules of the shot clock plus cost makes no sense especially when it won’t have an affect on the game except in a negative way. Are they going to require the lights around the back board? Adding cost to schools especially the smaller schools after a pandemic limited capacity season where funds for running a season may be limited is not a wise idea. AAU has it for those kids who want to play next level. I agree 99 percent of these kids play other sport’s and to steal a slogan will be going pro in something else other than sports. A shot clock would just create a mess. Schools I’m sure have felt the same economic impact from trying to fundraise and work off of limited gate while still paying officials and workers their same rates. 

8 hours ago, Observation said:

The cost for implementing and running the shot clock will keep it out of Tennessee. Officiating gets a lot of complaints as is. Imagine important games coming down to a shot clock issue. I think your comparing apples and oranges when you talk about the 3 point line vs a shot clock. Things like the 3 point line or widening the lane was not a cost issue nor did you have to do anything except teach officials to hold their hands up on made 3. Guards were already shooting from that distance. Now it just counts a point more. Training someone local to run a shot clock, teaching officials the rules of the shot clock plus cost makes no sense especially when it won’t have an affect on the game except in a negative way. Are they going to require the lights around the back board? Adding cost to schools especially the smaller schools after a pandemic limited capacity season where funds for running a season may be limited is not a wise idea. AAU has it for those kids who want to play next level. I agree 99 percent of these kids play other sport’s and to steal a slogan will be going pro in something else other than sports. A shot clock would just create a mess. Schools I’m sure have felt the same economic impact from trying to fundraise and work off of limited gate while still paying officials and workers their same rates. 

Other states have done this already... Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, California, to name a few. It would have to be a 5 year phase in to allow school systems the right amount of time to take care of all your valid issues with the shot clock. 

14 minutes ago, YouAlreadyKnow said:

Other states have done this already... Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, California, to name a few. It would have to be a 5 year phase in to allow school systems the right amount of time to take care of all your valid issues with the shot clock. 

I think even in 5 years it's a bad idea. This won't help the game in any way except slow it down, create more cost and add controversy in games to help the less than 1% of players that may play on the next level. There is already a product for those kids to go play with a shot clock. To me there is not another valid reason to have one for high school games. 

3 hours ago, Observation said:

I think even in 5 years it's a bad idea. This won't help the game in any way except slow it down, create more cost and add controversy in games to help the less than 1% of players that may play on the next level. There is already a product for those kids to go play with a shot clock. To me there is not another valid reason to have one for high school games. 

Will improve execution, preparation, coaching, screening, shooting, defense, etc... when you play against a clock it makes you better.

1 hour ago, YouAlreadyKnow said:

Will improve execution, preparation, coaching, screening, shooting, defense, etc... when you play against a clock it makes you better.

I will respectfully disagree. This should already be going on. Having a 30 second clock is not going to improve this. You have 32 minutes to execute your game plan. Good teams do and bad teams do not. The only time the shot clock would come into play is in the 4th quarter. So why add something that will not affect the outcome but to a handful of games? 

• Like 1

Money will always be the main excuse used by anti-shot clock folks.

I was coaching in Washington when the shot clock was implemented and the transition was fine.  Was there a learning curve, YES. Was there some mistakes, YES. But, it'll be okay, I promise. IMO it makes the game, coaches and players better. I don't know any coaches in WA that oppose it (then or now).  

Washington and Tennessee are similar in population and student size.

Washington State: 1,016 HS's (884 public, 132 private), 13th in enrollment & number of schools. 6 classifications (public and private are together) Pop: 7.7m (13th)

Tennessee: 703 HS's (485 public, 218 private), 15th in enrollment & 19th in number of schools. Pop: 6.9m (16th).

If money is a concern, each player in the girls and boys program can fund raise $20 a year for 3 years and it'll get paid for. 

1 hour ago, CoachAnderson said:

Money will always be the main excuse used by anti-shot clock folks.

I was coaching in Washington when the shot clock was implemented and the transition was fine.  Was there a learning curve, YES. Was there some mistakes, YES. But, it'll be okay, I promise. IMO it makes the game, coaches and players better. I don't know any coaches in WA that oppose it (then or now).  

Washington and Tennessee are similar in population and student size.

Washington State: 1,016 HS's (884 public, 132 private), 13th in enrollment & number of schools. 6 classifications (public and private are together) Pop: 7.7m (13th)

Tennessee: 703 HS's (485 public, 218 private), 15th in enrollment & 19th in number of schools. Pop: 6.9m (16th).

If money is a concern, each player in the girls and boys program can fund raise $20 a year for 3 years and it'll get paid for. 

Not sure where you got the numbers for schools etc.  In Tennessee there are 332 Public schools playing basketball and 72 Private schools playing basketball.  Comparison of the two states has no bearing any way.  Coaches will adapt if the shot clock comes about.